Menu

Can someone help me review an old movie?

DD and I were just at Blockbuster and I saw Space Camp on the shelf. I remember the basic story and I think ds would like it but it's from an era of movies where there was a lot of language and sex. There's no reason for it from what I vaguely remember of the film - a group at space camp is sitting in the space shuttle during a launch sequence, maybe to see how it feels when they are "accidentally" launched into outer space. Accidentally because a sentient robot decides the little boy really really wants to go into outer space and he decides to grant his wish. There may be a couple of teens who break curfew and kiss, but is that it?

I'm looking at sex and language information.

If it is the 1986 films, this is from the IMDP site:

Parents Guide for

SpaceCamp (1986) More at IMDbPro »

advertisement

The content of this page was created directly by users and has not been screened or verified by IMDb staff.

Since the beliefs that parents want to instill in their children can vary greatly, we ask that instead of adding your personal opinions about what is right or wrong in a film, that you instead use this new feature to help parents make informed viewing decisions by describing the facts of relevant scenes in the title for each one of the different categories: Sex and Nudity, Violence and Gore, Profanity, Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking, and Frightening/Intense Scenes .

View MPAA rating and/or certification information

Visit our Parents Guide Help to learn more

Parents GuideDiscussWatch

Sex & Nudity

EditHistory

None. Near the beginning of the movie, Lea Thompson and the teenage boy character are caught kissing on the hood of his Jeep, but that's it.

Violence & Gore

EditHistory

None.

Profanity

EditHistory

"Get your ass out of my parking spot" "Holy ****!" - Robot starts repeating back, "****: Human excrement..." gives scientific definition. Little kid calls the bigger kids, "jerk-offs." Jesus Christ **** Dammit What the hell is wrong? What the hell do we do? Christ, I'm not a doctor?

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking

EditHistory

None.

Frightening/Intense Scenes

EditHistory

Nothing serious that my 6 and 4 year old kids had any problems with. They nearly run out of oxygen. The lady astronaut get's hurt by the flying oxygen bottle. The space shuttle doors are closed by NASA without knowing that the female astronaut is locked outside. As they approach reentry to the atmosphere, the space shuttle is apparently spinning out of control, but Lea Thompson gets control of it. There are a few times where they talk about if they don't do this right, then they're all gonna die.

There were some teen scenes but I can't remember how bad they got. Maybe sneaking out and some smooching? It'd be easy enough to skip.

I hated that movie only because that blonde in it is such an awful actress..........the one married to Spielberg.

There are two versions of this, I think. I know Feature Films for Families distributed a version, and they only use clean movies or ones they can clean up and edit. So you might try browsing around to find one of theirs, if that helps. (I don't know if Space Camp was one they left intact or had to edit.)

If it is the 1986 films, this is from the IMDP site:

Parents Guide for

SpaceCamp (1986) More at IMDbPro »

advertisement

The content of this page was created directly by users and has not been screened or verified by IMDb staff.

Since the beliefs that parents want to instill in their children can vary greatly, we ask that instead of adding your personal opinions about what is right or wrong in a film, that you instead use this new feature to help parents make informed viewing decisions by describing the facts of relevant scenes in the title for each one of the different categories: Sex and Nudity, Violence and Gore, Profanity, Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking, and Frightening/Intense Scenes .

View MPAA rating and/or certification information

Visit our Parents Guide Help to learn more

Parents GuideDiscussWatch

Sex & Nudity

EditHistory

None. Near the beginning of the movie, Lea Thompson and the teenage boy character are caught kissing on the hood of his Jeep, but that's it.

Violence & Gore

EditHistory

None.

Profanity

EditHistory

"Get your ass out of my parking spot" "Holy ****!" - Robot starts repeating back, "****: Human excrement..." gives scientific definition. Little kid calls the bigger kids, "jerk-offs." Jesus Christ **** Dammit What the hell is wrong? What the hell do we do? Christ, I'm not a doctor?

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking

EditHistory

None.

Frightening/Intense Scenes

EditHistory

Nothing serious that my 6 and 4 year old kids had any problems with. They nearly run out of oxygen. The lady astronaut get's hurt by the flying oxygen bottle. The space shuttle doors are closed by NASA without knowing that the female astronaut is locked outside. As they approach reentry to the atmosphere, the space shuttle is apparently spinning out of control, but Lea Thompson gets control of it. There are a few times where they talk about if they don't do this right, then they're all gonna die.

Thanks! I never think of looking at IMDB!

There were some teen scenes but I can't remember how bad they got. Maybe sneaking out and some smooching? It'd be easy enough to skip.

I hated that movie only because that blonde in it is such an awful actress..........the one married to Spielberg.

Kate Capshaw, who played Andie, is Speilberg's wife; she was brunette in this movie, though she was blonde in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Kelly Preston, who played Tish, is married to John Travolta. She was blonde in Space Camp, and is a not-so-great actress.

Space Camp is one of our favorite movies. :-)

Me too, me too! I loved that movie when I was a kid :lurk5:

I had forgotten that Joaquin was in that. Now I want to watch it again, LOL.

I have a Zondervan book ... somewhere around here... called "What Can We Watch Tonight?" I'm not sure how many editions of this were made, but mine only has movies in it from between 1990 and 2002. It's been a really helpful resource.

-Angie

How about this one:

Howard the Duck

Anyone remember that? My kids saw the DVD somewhere and wanted to know if it was something that they could watch. I remember it being pretty stupid, LOL, but is there anything in it that 9 and 11 year olds shouldn't see?

-Angie