Menu

Poverty-stricken homeschoolers tackling the Middle Ages in the fall:

Guest Dulcimeramy

Guest Dulcimeramy

Want to see the fine arts supplement I'm working on?

http://artmusicmedieval.wordpress.com

Look at the "about" page to see what will be included by the time I'm done.

Look at the Categories on the right side of the page to see the style I'm using.

Don't get too excited; I'm just linking websites mostly. I'm using way too much Wikipedia, and I offer no commentary at all.

But if you need a free jumping off point where you can go to find more resources, images, music, and more, then I'm happy to share.

For Art study I'll have links for art and architecture concerning:

Celtic, Hiberno Saxon

Byzantine

Justinian

Islamic Medieval

Carolingian

Ottonian

Romanesque

Gothic

Renaissance (Italy, Europe, Baroque)

For the Renaissance era, I intend to choose particular artists and link to some of their most famous works. It may take me a month or so to accomplish that part, but I promise to have the entire site up before mid-July.

For picture study I recommend printing out this page to help lead discussions with your child. Read up on Charlotte Mason's ideas for more direction.

For Music study, I'll have links (both reading and 2 youtube links each) for:

Hildegard von Bingen

Moniot d'Arras

Guillaume de Machaut

Philippe de Vitry

Francesco Landini

Guillaume DuFay

Tomas Luis de Victoria

Luca Marenzio

William Byrd

and a few others already linked on the site.

I hope this will help someone!

Edited by Dulcimeramy

Guest Dulcimeramy
Oh, my goodness, these are beautiful! THANK YOU for posting them!! I'm going to bookmark them and hold onto them forever.

You are so welcome!

Did you include the animated Bayeux Tapestry on youtube?

Wow. I just popped over to find it, and added the first link I saw. Will you please have a look to see if I got the right one?

Most excellent! :D I was trying to finalize some details on our artist and music study for next fall and that fills in some gaps for me. Thanks.

You're welcome!

I'm hoping this will be a big, useful thing. I'm planning poetry pages, too.

I'm very open to suggestions but I'm working as well as homeschooling so I'm not on these boards much. If you have an awesome link would you please email it to me, or comment on the artmusicmedieval blog?

If I get really, really ambitious (and find the time) I'd like to add a page for student work. You could submit your child's essay or written narration, or a picture of his art work or other projects.

Guest Dulcimeramy

You're welcome, KFamily!

I just stumbled upon Sting's Labyrinth project, in which he plays lute and sings Dowland. Neat-o.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RkRjRCbSE

I'm a folk musician so I just love this stuff. After I add the real and scholarly links to the blog, I will probably post my husband playing medieval guitar, my Dad playing Spanish baroque guitar, and myself playing 12th century lute music on an appalachian dulcimer.

You're welcome, KFamily!

I just stumbled upon Sting's Labyrinth project, in which he plays lute and sings Dowland. Neat-o.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RkRjRCbSE

I'm a folk musician so I just love this stuff. After I add the real and scholarly links to the blog, I will probably post my husband playing medieval guitar, my Dad playing Spanish baroque guitar, and myself playing 12th century lute music on an appalachian dulcimer.

There is a whole DVD/cd of this, which is awesome. Plus you get to see inside Sting's home. :D I plan to use this next year in our study. The lute player he has (whose names escapes me right now) is magnificent.

Here's the official link for that CD http://www2.deutschegrammophon.com/special/?ID=sting-dowland