Menu

a question about standardized tests

Has anyone ever done this?

I want the kids to not be intimidated by standardized tests, but I don't really care about their "scores" at this point, either (1st grade twins). I was thinking of "administering" a practice type test at the end of each year, just to get them used to the method / style.

Is that silly?

Are there good "practice" type tests available online?

(My state does not (yet) require standardized tests.)

Texas has state tests online from previous years. I don't have the link handy right now, I think they are called TAKS tests.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I simply bought a test practice book for my son this year. Our state does not require testing but I want him to have practice with the format as well.

I do annual ITBS (Iowa Test of Basic Skills) with my kids for my own benefit (so that I can see how they are measuring up to their peers). I think it is helpful for children to have experience with testing for the future... and my kids just love taking them.

ETA: I am a certified teacher and have been certified to administer tests. If you go to http://www.bjupress.com/services/testing/faqs/testers.php you can find someone in your area that is certified and willing to administer the actual test to homeschoolers if you would like.

Edited by babysparkler
Added link

Texas has state tests online from previous years. I don't have the link handy right now, I think they are called TAKS tests.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I simply bought a test practice book for my son this year. Our state does not require testing but I want him to have practice with the format as well.

Here is that link:

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index3.aspx?id=44&menu_id3=793

Ooh, maybe I'm just a dummy, but this site is a bit hard to navigate for me. Do they have actual tests that you can download and administer? I'd love to do a practice test for 6th grade with my daughter before her evaluation. She gets such terrible test anxiety. This might help her relax a bit beforehand. :) Thanks so much for the help. :)

Ooh, maybe I'm just a dummy, but this site is a bit hard to navigate for me. Do they have actual tests that you can download and administer? I'd love to do a practice test for 6th grade with my daughter before her evaluation. She gets such terrible test anxiety. This might help her relax a bit beforehand. :) Thanks so much for the help. :)

Try these links... there is a printable or an online version. The TAKS 2008 tests may be most helpful.

• Printable Version in Portable Document Format (PDF)

The links below include the released tests for each grade, the answer keys, and the scoring guide if applicable.

• TAKS™ - The released TAKS™ tests are available for the years 2003-2006.

• SDAA and SDAA II - The released SDAA tests are available for the years 2003-2005 and 2007.

• RPTE - The released RPTE tests are available for the years 2000-2004.

• TAAS™ - The released TAAS tests are available for the years 2000, 2001, and 2002. Exit-level TAAS™ tests administered after spring 2002 will not be released.

• EOC - The released EOC tests are available for the years 2000, 2001, and 2002.

• TAKS™ - The released TAKS™ items are available for the year 2008 (MOST RECENT TESTS).

[*]Interactive Online Versions (TAKS™, exit level TAAS™, 2006 RPTE, 2005 SDAA II™, and end-of-course examinations only)

Edited by babysparkler

Try these links... there is a printable or an online version. The TAKS 2008 tests may be most helpful.

The links below include the released tests for each grade, the answer keys, and the scoring guide if applicable.

• TAKSâ„¢ - The released TAKSâ„¢ tests are available for the years 2003-2006.

• SDAA and SDAA II - The released SDAA tests are available for the years 2003-2005 and 2007.

• RPTE - The released RPTE tests are available for the years 2000-2004.

• TAASâ„¢ - The released TAAS tests are available for the years 2000, 2001, and 2002. Exit-level TAASâ„¢ tests administered after spring 2002 will not be released.

• EOC - The released EOC tests are available for the years 2000, 2001, and 2002.

• TAKSâ„¢ - The released TAKSâ„¢ items are available for the year 2008 (MOST RECENT TESTS).

[*]Interactive Online Versions (TAKSâ„¢, exit level TAASâ„¢, 2006 RPTE, 2005 SDAA IIâ„¢, and end-of-course examinations only)

Oh that's perfect!! Thank you so much! I'm downloading away! :)

TAKS 2003-2006

[/url]

6th grade printable test

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/resources/release/taks/2006/gr6taks.pdf

Answers

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/resources/release/taks/2006/gr6takskey.pdf

THANK you! One of the reasons I was excited to homeschool my kids is that they don't have to spend all year preparing for and stressing about the TAKS test . . . on the other hand, I'm perfectly happy (in a low-stress way) to let my son take it. It will probably help my husband's peace of mind, too. :chillpill:

Thanks for the reminder why I homeschool!

I just gave my 7-year-old son the 5th grade science test that was posted on the TAKS website.

He passed it.

Even the math related questions.

Obviously, I think my son is brilliant ;) but I'm more inclined to think that the test is rather elementary. :tongue_smilie: (If you have 3 teaspoons of sand in a jar and add a cup of water, how much sand will be left after the water has evaporated?)

I'm very glad to know that my son didn't spend a whole year of school prepping for those questions!