Menu

What kinds of meals do you serve when you are busy with evening activities?

Ds will be playing tee-ball three evenings a week. One of dd's gymnastics practices is in the evening and another one is all afternoon until right before dinner time. I'm trying to think of filling, good meals that are easy to prepare ahead of time. I'd prefer not to use my oven since we're trying to not use our ac this summer.

I really haven't used my crock-pot much in the past, but I'm thinking that it would be a good tool. So far I've found a promising recipe for slow cooker Italian beef for sandwiches and one for pulled-pork for sandwiches.

When we're home we really like to grill, but it's often hard to re-heat meat without it becoming tough.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Crockpots are great! My kids are kinda picky though so I just do either barbequed chicken or pot roast (or some cheap cut of beef cooked in broth, tomatoes and other veggies) in it. Those seem to be the only crockpot meals anybody will actually eat. So I alternate weeks. The other standard 'busy night' meals around here are: quesadillas (tortilla, grated cheese, leftover chicken or other meat sprinkled on top, chopped scallions then quickly broiled to melt cheese. serve with salsa and baby carrots). Omelets (stuff with cheese or leftover meat) with a piece of fruit and some toast. hot dogs + raw veggies or fruit salad (my kids won't eat tossed salads, wah!), Tacos (you can brown the meat ahead of time), bacon and cheese sliders (my kids 'invented' these: I cook up some turkey bacon, they melt cheese on a hamburger bun, add bacon and eat! They'll eat a couple of these. I just add in fruit or veggies.)

Swim team has started and we have practice every night until ps lets out.

Two weeks ago I made and froze 4 quiches and 2 shepherds pies. Those account for one or two meals a week (I just have to take it out in the morning). I use the crock pot. Usually what ever I make in the crock is enough for 2 nights. I have a mac n cheese night which my kids love--I add a full bag of frozen brocolli or mixed veg to the mac n cheese. They think that is the greatest meal. Usually we have a leftovers night, which includes some stuff from weekend meals. Sometimes I'll do a stir fry, using premixed stir fry vegetables and chopped up chicken breasts.

In the summer, if I know I'm cooking I will often cook dinner the earliest time I can during the day and reheat it later. That way if the kids and I are doing something we don't have come back with enough time to prepare a dinner.

You could marinate meat (like chicken breasts in zesty italian dressing), grill it ahead of time, slice it into strips and stick it in the fridge. Have salad ingredients ready & serve the meat over the salad when you get home from the game. The chicken tastes fine, cold.

I don't know if anyone else said it or not, but you could also make chicken salad.

Swim team has started and we have practice every night until ps lets out.

Two weeks ago I made and froze 4 quiches and 2 shepherds pies. Those account for one or two meals a week (I just have to take it out in the morning). I use the crock pot. Usually what ever I make in the crock is enough for 2 nights. I have a mac n cheese night which my kids love--I add a full bag of frozen brocolli or mixed veg to the mac n cheese. They think that is the greatest meal. Usually we have a leftovers night, which includes some stuff from weekend meals. Sometimes I'll do a stir fry, using premixed stir fry vegetables and chopped up chicken breasts.

In the summer, if I know I'm cooking I will often cook dinner the earliest time I can during the day and reheat it later. That way if the kids and I are doing something we don't have come back with enough time to prepare a dinner.

This is how I do it as well. The kids have activities until 8:00 or so every night of the week. I prepare well in advance like Betty. Instead of mac and cheese, our quick meal is hot dogs rolled up in crescent rolls and baked. I serve a veggie on the side and everyone loves it.

You could marinate meat (like chicken breasts in zesty italian dressing), grill it ahead of time, slice it into strips and stick it in the fridge. Have salad ingredients ready & serve the meat over the salad when you get home from the game. The chicken tastes fine, cold.

I don't know if anyone else said it or not, but you could also make chicken salad.

We love grilled chicken that has been marinated in Italian dressing. Adding it to a salad is a great idea. Thanks!

I use the crockpot. I buy bulk meat and freeze it in 1 meal servings. That morning I toss it in the crockpot, add a flavor (marinade or spices), put it on low, and take off. At dinner I add a salad or a couple of easy veggies. When I started this I admit it was hard at first but now i completely depend on it. Depending on the sauce I use we can have Chinese one night, BBQ the next, and Italian another. It also makes the toughest meats tender.

During the day i make vegetable pasties, sausage rolls, quiche or home made pizza. Then it is ready to eat as soon as we walk in the door. My kiddos are still little and just wont wait 10min or more to eat when we get home right on dinner time. By the time i would be done cooking anything at all they would have eaten other things and no longer be hungry.

My favorite crock pot meal: (because it's so easy and quite good!)

Any meat ( pork, chicken, beef)

1 can corn ( or a couple cups frozen)

1 can black beans

1 large jar picante sause or salsa

put all in the pot and cook on low for however long it takes you to get home.

serve on rice, or tortillas with chesse, lettuce and sour cream