Menu

Why is shipping from Lulu so expensive???!!!

I really want to order the CW Diogenes: Chreia set as well as Plaid Dad's Living Memory book. They end up being about $90 - but the least expensive shipping method is $60! The "express" shipping is $188.

Seriously, Canada is just not that far away. I can't pay that much money for shipping - I think I'd throw up if I did. But, I really need my CW books and I'd sure like to have a copy of Living Memory. Does anyone know of any other options that don't include spending nearly as much on shipping as I do on the books?

Thanks.

I really want to order the CW Diogenes: Chreia set as well as Plaid Dad's Living Memory book. They end up being about $90 - but the least expensive shipping method is $60! The "express" shipping is $188.

Seriously, Canada is just not that far away. I can't pay that much money for shipping - I think I'd throw up if I did. But, I really need my CW books and I'd sure like to have a copy of Living Memory. Does anyone know of any other options that don't include spending nearly as much on shipping as I do on the books?

Thanks.

Living Memory is on Amazon as of last night.

Living Memory is on Amazon as of last night.

I was excited for a minute, until I saw it was still Lulu selling it on amazon.com and they had jacked up the price to compensate for the lower shipping prices :rolleyes: Still, it might still come out cheaper for international orders.

I looked up the Classical Writing: Homer book, and it is about $12 more on amazon. It doesn't say if they are shipping it media mail or priority, but for those prices, it should be priority.

I was excited for a minute, until I saw it was still Lulu selling it on amazon.com and they had jacked up the price to compensate for the lower shipping prices :rolleyes: Still, it might still come out cheaper for international orders.

I looked up the Classical Writing: Homer book, and it is about $12 more on amazon. It doesn't say if they are shipping it media mail or priority, but for those prices, it should be priority.

I'll have to figure out what it would be for the grand total, but Living Memory is $7 more on Amazon, plus the shipping is $12 for me so that's basically like saying that just that one book would be $19 to ship.

Oh bummer! I didn't read enough.:tongue_smilie:

I just had a look to see what the cost would be to ship these books to FL. According to Lulu it will cost $15, for Media Mail!!! How flippin' heavy are these books?

I think Lulu needs to adjust their shipping prices. On Rainbow Resource, it would cost about $8, and that is for UPS.

Well, it's not much consolation, but the shipping is ridiculous for the United States as well. I would very much like to get a copy of Living Memory, but they want to charge me $7.21 to ship it MEDIA MAIL and have big red notes that this method is not trackable and won't be replaced if lost in the mail. I've had way too much trouble with the post office to take that chance, so in order to be sure that I receive it I'd have to pay $18.62 for priority shipping. Well, this is a paperback book of 452 pages.....I weighed a 500 page HARDback book and found that the media mail shipping would $3.55 and priority would be $9.35 (I live on the West Coast and used an East Coast zip for comparison as I don't know where lulu is located). So they're definitely making their profit off shipping and I find that ridiculous. I have forgone many ebay auctions because the seller has doubled the reasonable shipping costs. Since the post office provides the packaging FREE for priority mail, I don't accept the argument that packaging costs the seller (and my opinion was solidified after I did pay ridiculous charges with this argument only to receive it in a reused box, lol!)

So...until Drew finds another method of delivery, my family will wait patiently and hope that someone wants to sell a used copy on ebay or this board and is reasonable in their shipping costs.

Drew....might I suggest that you create a pdf version and sell it yourself? Not only would lulu not be taking some of your profits (so hopefully you could pass a little savings onto us for our having to print the book ourselves), you'd likely get a lot more sales from those of us who don't think it right to double/triple the shipping costs to up profit. (And yes, I know that Drew is NOT responsible for the shipping costs charged...it's lulu making the killing).

Living Memory

Lulu.com $24.95 plus shipping

Amazon.com $32.44 plus shipping

Eek!

Ok, you know it's ridiculous when it's actually cheaper to pay the rasied price and the lowered shipping than it is to pay the "retail" price and the higher shipping.

Hmmmm, wonder if Drew gets a larger profit if we buy it at the higher Amazon rate? Still too much for me, but curious.

I just had a look to see what the cost would be to ship these books to FL. According to Lulu it will cost $15, for Media Mail!!! How flippin' heavy are these books?

I think Lulu needs to adjust their shipping prices. On Rainbow Resource, it would cost about $8, and that is for UPS.

I think they should say shipping and handling. I ship heavier stuff via Media Mail and it's ~$8 or less.

Drat, I looked at Rainbow Resource but they don't seem to carry Living Memory. I searched under title and author. That would be cool because I always put together a group order so that we have over $150 and get free shipping.

Is Living Memory actually available from anywhere except lulu??

Thanks.

Sarah, you can get the CW stuff from Tree of Life in NB. Link to the first page of CW listings. The price reflects our CDN exchange rate, and their shipping is quite reasonable (well... as reasonable as one can be when having to deal with Canada Post).

If you look around their storefront, you'll see quite a few other very interesting and sometimes hard to find in Canada, classical curricula.