Menu

Does this music curriculum exist?

We've done several years of classical music study. For 2009/2010 I'm looking for a curriculum that will cover important modern music, maybe focusing on just the 20th century. Ideally it would cover genres like jazz, blues, rock 'n roll, etc., as well as famous artists. Does something like this exist? I've googled to no avail, so thought I'd check with the hive. If it matters, I have a DD9 and a DS6 that love all kinds of music. Thanks!

But I saw Oak Meadow has 2 high school level music courses that are new this year. They are listed in the catalog but not on the website yet. They are semester long courses. Part 2 covers music from the Romantic era to rap and includes a study of non-western music. Part 1 is a pre-requisite but I doubt that matters if you're not using it for high school level credit. I'm seriously considering using this course for oldest dd since it's just what I've been looking for now for several years. I did call and ask about price and was told it was $150-155/ course (I can't remember the exact amount).

I'm pulling together some items of my own for next year. We are mixing modern artists with middle ages. I haven't quite figured it all out but I plan on spending 4 weeks with each subject, probably listening to their work, discussing their biography, & talking about their influence. I'll probably use a report form for him to fill out and

I'm pulling a lot of items I already own together and use artists we enjoy.

I'm using this cd/dvd to compare John Dowland and The Police/Sting.

Edited by elegantlion
last day of school and I can no longer spell. :)

Guest Alte Veste Academy

It's not a curriculum but I did find two wonderful picture books that I'm going to use to work modern music into modern times when we get there.

Jazz and Its History (Masters of Music) This progresses through history, starting with slavery and spirituals, evolving into the Blues...on to the beginnings of Jazz to Bebop...through wars...getting to R&B...all the way through modern times.

The History of Rock Music (Masters of Music) This one starts with a discussion of peacetime America after WWII and then discusses the "new rebels" and origins of rock (R&B from book above)...profiles beginning shortly before Elvis and progressing chronologically to a discussion of how, "Video killed the radio star." :lol: It ends with Grunge music.

They both have profiles of the major contributors and you can just pick up individual songs on iTunes or buy an album (or check out from the library...ooh, or use Pandora.com to come up with playlists by era maybe...) what you'd really like to focus on. These are wonderful picture books and I think I'll buy Opera next...as many as I can get really. They're great to align music with history. They are very historically relevant, sometimes discussing the relation of politics with music (i.e. Vietnam and protest music).

Good luck!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

The Masters of Music books look interesting. I guess I will need to create something myself. Does anyone know where I can find a timeline showing the order in which the different genres were born? I did already try googling that with no success. Or are the Masters of Music books in some specific order?

What would folks want in such a curriculum? General survey? Discussing forms/structures/typical pieces of each style? Cultural significance? What kinds of lessons?
I want something that gives information on how the style of music developed, as well as lots of songs/examples to listen to, perhaps some short bios on the relevant musicians.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Does anyone know where I can find a timeline showing the order in which the different genres were born? I did already try googling that with no success. Or are the Masters of Music books in some specific order?

I'm sorry but I don't know. I just know that each MoM book is chronological. I don't know where each of them fits into the grander scheme of music history in general. I do have this book and like it a lot.

America's Musical Life: A History

It's American history from a musical perspective. A very good read! Reading this has given me more confidence in the area. I feel good about integrating the MoM with our general history study and adding in some tunes. I also have this and it's really good but doesn't include as many individual songs as I would like.

Listen to Learn: Using American Music to Teach Language Arts and Social Studies

OK, after looking this over again just now, it might be quite close to what you want.

Hmmm. I've been working on plans for our first year of American history and I'm incorporating music weekly, mainly historic selections and folk tunes. I should finish that schedule and post it. I do have some good stuff but, honestly, I'm spending a pretty penny on music. No biggie because we love music here and we'll listen to it forever. I am AMAZED by how much my kids love the Lewis and Clark music! Love, love, love... I just need to get it all put together.

You might like these but I don't think they go up to present times. No rock and jazz, I think.

American History Through Folksong with Historical Narration

You can listen to samples here.

OK, the kids are playing Play-Doh. Maybe I should look at finalizing some of my plans...

The Masters of Music books look interesting. I guess I will need to create something myself. Does anyone know where I can find a timeline showing the order in which the different genres were born? I did already try googling that with no success. Or are the Masters of Music books in some specific order?

Please post whatever you find. I will be searching too, and will do likewise.

I've been working on plans for our first year of American history and I'm incorporating music weekly, mainly historic selections and folk tunes.

We've been doing this all along through our US history studies.

I am AMAZED by how much my kids love the Lewis and Clark music! Love, love, love...

We really liked that one, but loved this one even more. More love, love, love -might be our favorite CD from the whole musical journey through American history. What is it about Lewis and Clark that inspires such great music?

I used all of these - very good, though after the first few CDs I kind of wished he'd asked more people to sing the songs. I got rather sick of his voice. But the song selection and narration were excellent.

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked the book Marsalis On Music, which was a companion book to a Public Television series, so you can probably get the videos/DVDs too (maybe even in your public library).

There is also a very pricy series called An Illustrated History of Music for Young Musicians which does have a volume for the Twentieth Century.

I'll have to come back later and post some resources that are on my shelves that might be helpful. We've really enjoyed Marsalis on Music also. It's very readable and easy to understand even if you don't have the videos to go with it.

A few online resources that might have already been mentioned...

http://www.jazzinamerica.org ~ I think it's part of the Thelonius Monk institute of Jazz

Great Composers of the 20th Century from Hal Leonard. It's a compilation from Music Alive. (Which, by the way, is a great resource for teaching music) Here's the link from the book: http://books-videos-music.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hal-Leonard-Great-Composers-of-the-20th-Century-BookCD?sku=940943