Menu

Dh wants to relax, not play. Reccomendations for a getaway in the west?

We don't want to break the bank, so we'd like to stay in the western states. According to dh's sources, Vegas is aparantly not very relaxing (although I would be thrilled to never leave the hotel).

So what are your favorite places to stay and relax? Beach resorts, spas, wine country?

Have you considered renting a self contained RV and hanging out at a national or state park? CA has some nice state campgrounds that overlook the ocean. And I love watching the stars at the national parks further inland. If you go to a larger park, there'll even be a restaurants and stores so you don't need to cook.

I guess that depends on his definition of "relax not play". Does he simply want a comfortable hotel to lay around the pool.....or would he be up for a little bit of sight seeing but not "see the world in 7 days"?

Some recommendations:

The Cliffs Resort (halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles) They offer amazing pampering services if that suits your fancy.....or just lounge by the pool or jacuzzi..........and if you do actually want to go somewhere, there are dozens of wineries nearby, and it's a short drive to some tourist things if you and the kids want to get out and do while he lounges. Hearst Castle is nearby and is amazing and the zoo is always fun.

There is all of Wine Country in California....lots of beautiful luxurious hotels to lounge by the pool and easy going wine tours or just tastings....and of course the incredible restaurants at and around the wineries. Our favorite luxury hotel there is Lodge at Sonoma, but there are many others.

Lake Tahoe is beautiful and relaxing.....if you're interested in gambling it's available (on the Nevada side), but unlike Reno and Vegas it's not nearly as wild and crazy and it's definitely much more kid friendly than Vegas. I love to go to Tahoe to relax....it's all green and beautiful and the air is so clean compared to my big city life. There is plenty of action if you want to do it, and there is plenty of just easy going relaxing or staying by the pool if that's what you want. If you're into hiking, it's probably one of the most beautiful places with trails of every level.

Great California ideas, thank you! I'll check those out. I personally would rather fly than RV. We have an RV and plan to go out several times this summer. But THIS trip with w/o the kids, so kid friendly is not a requirement!

I'll keep taking your rec's. We are looking for some pampering and don't want to be on the go. We only have 3 nights.

Thanks!

My husband and I both love vacationing in the mountains in the fall or anytime the weather is cool. We find a cabin with a fireplace, a kitchen so we can cook our own food, and some wine. We love going hiking, watching a movie, etc.

We also go to B&Bs sometimes.

Ahhh, ok, without kids.......

first choice: San Francisco. I wouldn't chose SF with kids for a relaxing vacation because there is simply too much to do that the kids will want to keep you on the go 25 hours a day. But for relaxing, romance.....yeah, San Francisco.

My recommendation for hotel.....Seal Rock Inn.....and then make reservations for the Sunday Champagne brunch at Cliff House (or if you won't be there on a Sunday, do lunch at Cliff House....and when you make your reservation request a window seat). Strolling on the beach at dusk......romantic and relaxing.

If you choose to venture out of your hotel for more than meals, there is plenty to do within walking distance. And if you decide you want to do more....cab rides to Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, or really anyplace in the city and you have more than a day's worth of seeing.

Oh yeah...and if you still want to do some wine tasting....a rental car makes it a day trip to Sonoma.

Ahhhhh, I so wish I was planning a vacation for ME...but thanks for letting me make suggestions for yours.

Our favorite is a Wine Country vacation.

The Wine Train has dinner runs and luncheon runs... always fun to do.

If you book a wine tasting tour ahead of time with one of the limo/tour services, you can often catch barrel tastings or winery tours which are often much more interesting than just tasting.

The Sonoma area is so beautiful-- just the ride from winery to winery is relaxing!

For pure relaxation, we love the La Posada Hotel, in Winslow, AZ. It's an hold Harvey House train hotel, designed by architect, Mary Colton, and refurbished in recent years. It is beautiful, if you like historic buildings. It's fun, if you like trains. It has a 5-star restaurant that is simply fabulous! No pool. No phones in the rooms. Not much to do all day except read, watch trains go by, wander around old Winslow, and "stand on the corner" (they have an outdoor museum dedicated to The Eagles and the girl in the flat-bed Ford). There's a theatre in town that shows movies on weekends. There are a couple shops dedicated to Route 66, Harley-Davidsons, and The Eagles.

Anyway, we go there when we want to relax, and eat wonderful food. :) You can visit their website at http://www.laposada.org/

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
Wrong website

Ooo, Suzanne, I live in AZ but I didn't know about that! Will have to check that out!

To the OP :*), there are several lovely places to stay in AZ, but if you're truly wanting to stay on the coast, I would highly recommend Monterey, CA, for a romantic getaway. Literally everything there is within walking distance. And Santa Cruz is about an hour away and San Fran, 2 hours, by car. Beautiful weather year 'round in Monterey, fantastic restaurants (you'll definitely want to go to Fishermen's Grotto on the Wharf), movie theatres, etc. If you do decide to go there, send me a PM and I'll give you a list of great places to visit/enjoy!

Paradise Point in San Diego has great deals off season. Sometimes you can get a room on the bay for a couple hundred and you do not have to leave the resort. You have water, gardens three or more pools , mini golf course, spa.

This is where we go to relax and unwind and we live here.

Ooo, Suzanne, I live in AZ but I didn't know about that! Will have to check that out!

To the OP :*), there are several lovely places to stay in AZ, but if you're truly wanting to stay on the coast, I would highly recommend Monterey, CA, for a romantic getaway. Literally everything there is within walking distance. And Santa Cruz is about an hour away and San Fran, 2 hours, by car. Beautiful weather year 'round in Monterey, fantastic restaurants (you'll definitely want to go to Fishermen's Grotto on the Wharf), movie theatres, etc. If you do decide to go there, send me a PM and I'll give you a list of great places to visit/enjoy!

Ooh. If you went to the link I originally posted, it took you to the wrong La Posada. The correct website is http://www.laposada.org