Menu

If you use Oak Meadow curriculum

Love2Smile

I used it for sixth grade, for my oldest. I did not care for the grammar portion of the English, so I switched to Rod & Staff at that point. I seem to recall that some of the books that were assigned were at a very low reading level, so we supplemented. (Though I might be thinking of 7th grade.) As far as writing is concerned, if you have a strong writer, who is creative and engaged, then the suggestions in OM will work wonderfully well.

I did not buy the art supplies, as we already had most of them.

I just ordered OM6, and it should be here sometime next week, so if you still have questions about it by then, feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to try to answer them for you.

I already have OM3 and OM5, and I think they are creative and unique programs that cover a lot more information than you think they do when you read the course descriptions.

Cat

Well I showed my husband the online samples of OM last night and the paper one I have of OM6...

He was amazed!

Told me if that's the one I want to buy it on Monday after I have completely thought it over this weekend, but I already know I want to use OM!

The reason I love it, is because it looks thought provoking, fun, thorough, and secular. No offense, but I just don't want the Bible included in our curriculum. They get Bible studies on Sunday...

I cannot wait to get it!

My daughters read the sample also, and they want to start NOW!

I am wondering why OM does not get as much "attention" as some of the other curriculums...is it only because it is secular?

I am wondering why OM does not get as much "attention" as some of the other curriculums...is it only because it is secular?

I think primarily because it does not follow the four year history cycle. There is no history at all in K-2, 3rd has a very general world studies program and 4th is an intro to American. 5th - 12th follows a more school-like plan, separating American and world studies.

The other issue is that it is very teacher intensive. You were asking about the grammar portion of 6th - it covers all parts of speech, many parts of a sentence and the standard word usage things. It also focuses on outlining, paragraph writing and essay writing. The only thing to keep in mind is that there is no answer key. The parent has to know the grammar and writing rules and be able to guide the student. If the lesson is on verbs the language arts assignment will be to write sentences using the different verb types. The parent must make sure the sentences are written correctly and that the student understands the material. It is the same throughout the entire language arts curriculum. If the focus for language arts is on writing paragraphs with a good topic or thesis sentence it is the parent that must know what a good thesis statement looks like and work with the student to understand as well. There is very little instruction to go with the language arts assignments. That is why the program has always offered "online support" so the student can submit the work to a 'teacher' to help grade and guide the student.

I think Oak Meadow is a great program. I use OM K-4 as our primary curriculum. After that I use 5-8 as supplementary curriculum. But, it is teacher intensive and assumes if the parent is not using the online/mail in portion, that that parent is confident in grammar and writing and prepared to work with the student in these areas.

I think that you could do individual parts of OM for your student. I really loved the earthy part, but since I believe that you get SOME worldview with whatever you purchase...I want a Biblical worldview for Science and History. I remember the "Waldorfy" feeling of the arts and such...and don't they have Science that is "Waldorfy/CM?" In fact, if you like Oak Meadow, you are liking a part of Waldorf. While I wouldn't include some of the Rudolf Steiner/Waldorf aspects that are VERY secular, I do like their approach to many things. Maybe if/when you investigate Waldorf, you could use some of the aspects and keep some of the WTM/classical ones, too. Just a thought... (Or, do all of OM except the LA part...)

Carrie:-)

You could do what we're doing; use OM for everything but math, grammar and history. That gives you science, art, music, health (K-3) and some really great literature options. And from what I understand, the math & history are actually pretty good, just not a good fit for us.

I'm not using the math, we are going with Teaching Textbooks.

I am still researching OM...my girls are very good writers and very good at grammar...my 5th grader actually knows more than I do LOL

My husband still wants me to use OM, and I can add Easy Grammar to just be sure.

Honestly, my 9th grader is an honors English student. She has been public schooled till now. She writes at College Level, or so we have been told. She had me read some poetry and a *book* she wrote. I didnt even know she had written them. When I asked her who wrote them and she told me she had, I was astounded! I could not believe how creative and her grammar was perfect. The vocabulary she used...well some of it I had never even heard of! Soo....maybe they can teach me! LOL

I still think I am headed towards OM...I will call the offices on Tues. just to go over things...but as my husband said, *they both all ready know just about everything grammar etc...*

what we don't know we can find out..

As far as it being Waldorfy? I'm not sure what it means or what it implies

Is that something Christians avoid?

Honestly, I prefer secular curriculum...That is why something like MFW was a huge turn off. I can't see my children having to read the entire Bible for school...

Maybe im in the wrong place! LOL

Well, Steiner has many secular views, but I like the way story telling is done (at a younger level) and I love their arts and music. I purchased beeswax colors for my children because of what I saw. I purchased them through a co-op and while they were expensive(we purchased three varieties) they have lasted 5+ years. I keep them together and take them to places like church and such....and my children can use them at home...but I take responsibility for making sure that they're put away. The way that they introduce history is interesting.... They are totally secular...but they introduce Bible as history and tell things from their mind instead of using a book.(at least on the site that I read) I've mostly read about younger years.... BUT, that's the reason I started looking at OM and while it's not thought of as authentically Waldorf...it's thought of as Waldorf inspired. I also looked at a couple of other curriculums that were thought of as more "authentic". I liked a lot of their ideas...and Montessori's and CM...and...and:-) I just love reading about different ideas...

Carrie:-)

Well, Steiner has many secular views,

I was attracted to Waldorf and have what many (even true "Steiner-Heads") call a Waldorf-y home. I am familiar with anthroposophy and would not call Steiner's ideas "secular" by any stretch of the imagination.

I used Oak Meadow when we started homeschooling, when my oldest was in 6th grade. I found it did not give enough teacher support and would agree with what others have said about being teacher-intensive. My guess is that it would work best for a very "artsy" type of child who is able to run with very little instruction and who has lots of time (or a parent with lots of time) to spend at the library. My son, who had been indoctrinated his whole life, in public school, to follow instructions, did not fare so well with it. YMMV.

That said, I like the idea of Oak Meadow and feel like it could work wonderfully well for us now that I know what the heck I'm doing in the homeschooling department.

I found out that OM now does sell the Teacher's Manual which includes

examples for the grammar exercises and essay. In the back of the Social Studies and English Lessons 19-36 there is grammar manual which I have been told is found invaluable. The grammar manual cover topics which as outlining and paragraphing.

So maybe they added this for those of us not using the teacher's service?

That is not true. There is an answer key in the Teacher's Manual. No, you don't have to know it yourself to teach it. 6th is written to the student so it is not teacher intensive. I don't know about 9th but am assuming the same. You don't have to use the teacher service to use the course.

I was attracted to Waldorf and have what many (even true "Steiner-Heads") call a Waldorf-y home. I am familiar with anthroposophy and would not call Steiner's ideas "secular" by any stretch of the imagination.

I used Oak Meadow when we started homeschooling, when my oldest was in 6th grade. I found it did not give enough teacher support and would agree with what others have said about being teacher-intensive. My guess is that it would work best for a very "artsy" type of child who is able to run with very little instruction and who has lots of time (or a parent with lots of time) to spend at the library. My son, who had been indoctrinated his whole life, in public school, to follow instructions, did not fare so well with it. YMMV.

That said, I like the idea of Oak Meadow and feel like it could work wonderfully well for us now that I know what the heck I'm doing in the homeschooling department.

We have done 4th/5th grade and are going on to 6th next year. I have not found it particularly teacher intensive. The syllabi are written to the children. Even though grade 4 was really to the parent, it was easy enough to let ds read it for himself. He chose his own activities (with a little guidance from me and dh) and I guess we did help with many of the bigger projects, but it was stuff like supervising and instructing some use of tools, getting the supplies he needed and "hold this while I do that" kind of stuff.

He needed more involvement with the writing assignments because we hadn't really done much instruction that way, but as it was laid out in the syllabus, he understood what was being asked of him easily enough. (The struggle was getting him to write -- switching to typed helped immensely!)

As for grammar, that's a subject ds enjoys and for which he has a natural talent. We supplement with GWG, but more because ds thinks it's a "fun" subject than anything else. Dh sometimes thinks it's "busy work" to go through the GWG lessons, but ds says he wants it. I figure, hey... if that's what floats his little boat, then why not, eh? :001_smile:

OM has been great for my ds. His imagination, his critical thinking skills, and his attitude towards school have dramatically improved over the past year and half with OM. I've said it before, but the only thing about OM that I regret is that I let myself be led astray and we didn't do it for K-3.

That is not true. There is an answer key in the Teacher's Manual. No, you don't have to know it yourself to teach it. 6th is written to the student so it is not teacher intensive. I don't know about 9th but am assuming the same. You don't have to use the teacher service to use the course.

I think OM is a great program and I am not suggesting otherwise, but there is not an answer key in the back. There are sample answers.

Language arts for Oak Meadow 6

Lesson 1 - review the four kinds of sentences - write one of each kind of sentence

Lesson 3 - review adjectives - write five sentences using at least one adjective in each sentence

Lesson 11 - review verbs - write seven sentences using the seven verbs of being listed

Lesson 16 - review punctuation - write eleven sentences using these rules correctly

Lesson 21 - write ten complete sentences, shade the subject red and the predicate blue

Etc, etc.

Most of the chapters will also have assignments that say write an outline, write a paragraph or write an essay. There is a section in the back that offers guidelines on how to do these things. The grammar is fairly basic, but there are not answers. It would be impossible to guess what a student is going to write. :confused:

As far as it being written to the student, someone needs to 'correct' the student's work. That is where it is teacher intensive. The course is written to the student beginning around grade 5 or 6. But someone needs to make sure the student understands the material and is capable of writing solid paragraphs and essays and needs to explain it if the student does/is not. This is true of nearly all curriculum and not specific to OM. The only difference is that when assignments say "Write sentences of your own" rather than rewrite sentences already in a book, there cannot be ready made answers for the teacher/parent. The student cannot self check his/her own work.

I enjoy grammar and do not have a problem with this approach, but it is important to note, for those that do not feel so comfortable teaching grammar and writing.

I've only used OM for one subject so far and we just started that 3 weeks ago.

My 16yo is using OM for photography right now.

Next year, my middle dd will use OM for 9th grade history, biology, and health. They have teacher manuals that give answers to all the questions.

The reason that it says sample answers are given is that when the question is open-ended, like list 3 causes of WWI, there isn't just one answer. There are many different answers that could be given. It will give the most commonly accepted answers and then you have to see if you'll accept what your student wrote.

Similarly, if it asks what motivates a character in an assigned book, your dc may have a completely valid answer that isn't the answer that's in the TM.

In that respect, you have to be able to look beyond the TM. I like have sample answers though. It helps me to know what to look for in my dd's answers.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to use for my middle dd for English next year. I'm torn between OM English 9 and Excellence in Literature. I already know that I want to use US history-based writing lessons volume 2. She used volume 1 this year.

it is a great literature based curriculum that can be used classically as well. I loved it in the early years especially~!

We used SL last year...all the reading killed my younger dd's joy of reading...it was TOO much for us...I can't take another year of SL!

I think OM is a great program and I am not suggesting otherwise, but there is not an answer key in the back. There are sample answers.

Language arts for Oak Meadow 6

Lesson 1 - review the four kinds of sentences - write one of each kind of sentence

Lesson 3 - review adjectives - write five sentences using at least one adjective in each sentence

Lesson 11 - review verbs - write seven sentences using the seven verbs of being listed

Lesson 16 - review punctuation - write eleven sentences using these rules correctly

Lesson 21 - write ten complete sentences, shade the subject red and the predicate blue

Etc, etc.

Most of the chapters will also have assignments that say write an outline, write a paragraph or write an essay. There is a section in the back that offers guidelines on how to do these things. The grammar is fairly basic, but there are not answers. It would be impossible to guess what a student is going to write. :confused:

As far as it being written to the student, someone needs to 'correct' the student's work. That is where it is teacher intensive. The course is written to the student beginning around grade 5 or 6. But someone needs to make sure the student understands the material and is capable of writing solid paragraphs and essays and needs to explain it if the student does/is not. This is true of nearly all curriculum and not specific to OM. The only difference is that when assignments say "Write sentences of your own" rather than rewrite sentences already in a book, there cannot be ready made answers for the teacher/parent. The student cannot self check his/her own work.

I enjoy grammar and do not have a problem with this approach, but it is important to note, for those that do not feel so comfortable teaching grammar and writing.

We will be going with OM...and adding GWG such as Audrey has... I *know* basic grammar, as my daughters do, so I don't anticipate a problem...my husband is so impressed with OM samples, he told me not to worry about it, if something comes up , there is always a way to get an answer....

My daughers know how to make sentences, paragraphs, grammar, essays etc...i'll probably buy SL's *research paper* and add that, but I really REALLY think we will be fine afterall..

We will be going with OM...and adding GWG such as Audrey has... I *know* basic grammar, as my daughters do, so I don't anticipate a problem...my husband is so impressed with OM samples, he told me not to worry about it, if something comes up , there is always a way to get an answer....

My daughers know how to make sentences, paragraphs, grammar, essays etc...i'll probably buy SL's *research paper* and add that, but I really REALLY think we will be fine afterall..

Based on what you've said you wanted from it, I don't think you'll be disappointed in OM. If there are some things you feel you want to supplement, it's quite easy to add in as you go.

Also, if you order well enough in advance of the next school year, you can take the time to go through all the materials with your children and see where you may want to add/subtract/adjust.