Menu

I just had to send a note to VP Biden...

I ran into one of his boys (I believe it was Beau) in New York City on Monday morning. We were just getting off the Acela train -- I was carrying Abby in her carseat, and rolling my luggage to the elevator.

The police were holding everyone back to allow Mr. Biden to get on the elevator alone, and he insisted that Abby & I get on first, along with an older lady (around 60 or so).

We rode the elevator with the police and the VP's son up to Penn Station.

Although I may have policy disagreements with people -- I pretty much hold to the belief that, for the most part, we all share the same basic desire to fix the problems which plague our nation, but that we merely disagree with the steps to do it.

So, I just felt like I needed to write the VP and compliment him on his son (I don't think parents ever tire of hearing good things about their children, even when they're grown... do they?)

Lisa

My dh went to college with Beau. They were in the same fraternity at Penn. He was always impressed with him. He would never go along with all the stupid stuff that college frat guys do because he didn't want to hurt his dad's political career. Cool heh?

It was nice to read your story too! I'll be sure and tell my dh about it!

I ran into one of his boys (I believe it was Beau) in New York City on Monday morning. We were just getting off the Acela train -- I was carrying Abby in her carseat, and rolling my luggage to the elevator.

The police were holding everyone back to allow Mr. Biden to get on the elevator alone, and he insisted that Abby & I get on first, along with an older lady (around 60 or so).

We rode the elevator with the police and the VP's son up to Penn Station.

Although I may have policy disagreements with people -- I pretty much hold to the belief that, for the most part, we all share the same basic desire to fix the problems which plague our nation, but that we merely disagree with the steps to do it.

So, I just felt like I needed to write the VP and compliment him on his son (I don't think parents ever tire of hearing good things about their children, even when they're grown... do they?)

Lisa

Dh's Beau Biden story -- he was doing some processing at Fort Dix where dh was working at the time. Walked up, signed in, went to sit down and wait his turn on the floor.

Now, it's a big fat hairy deal when a senator's family member in in the MEPS. Carpets are rolled and stuff is expedited. But he didn't utter a peep about who he was, just took his number and took his turn. Dh just happened to key in on the "Biden" part of it and googled him, lol, then told the CO that a VIP was on the floor. He declined to have his processing expedited, just elected to wait his turn with the rest of the riff raff. No expectations, no fanfare. Just a very nice man.

Um. This might be a dumb question, but why is a VP's son a VIP? I get that his dad would be, but why him? Is he in government too?

Rosie

Yes, Beau Biden is the Attorney General of the Sate of Delaware. Concurrently he's served in the United States Military as a member of the Delaware National Guard, and recently he did a tour in Iraq.

He is widely expected to run for (and win) his father's old Senate seat in 2010.

Bill

Um. This might be a dumb question, but why is a VP's son a VIP? I get that his dad would be, but why him? Is he in government too?

Rosie

He was only a Senator's son back then (and a reserve officer), but yes, a US congressman's immediate family member would be considered (for internal "courtesy" purposes) a VIP. Showing respect to the office by giving respect to the family member, etc.