Menu

HELP! my kids are driving me crazy!

It's totally like they don't even remember how to behave like human beings! I mean every word out of their mouths is either whiney, complaining, yelling, or bickering. I totally think it's time for break. School isn't even fun anymore. We were going to school until next Friday, but I just don't know if our sanity will last that long. I even took us down to doing the bare essentials...a math lesson per day and independent reading. I wanted to school as long as possible since we have such a busy summer planned. We won't be able to get back into the groove until mid-August at best. Is it a crime to throw in the towel NOW and hope they don't regress in their learning during the next 8-10 weeks?

I firmly believe that you should not reward their poor behavior by stopping school. What is that teaching them? Crack down on the discipline in your home and continue with school. Children shouldn't control the school calendar, for goodness sake. You've got your year planned, and they need to be under control if it's going to continue. Letting them off now will only set a precedent that you will live to regret.

Ria

Well I wouldn't let them off, but I would have a BIG pan of brownies tonight (my own personal plan), trim down to the essentials, and lock the aliens in their rooms. Ria's right that it's a game they play, acting bad to throw you in such turmoil that you toss school. But it's also true that it's spring, the season has been long, and pool weather is here. So pick the things that MUST be done, resolve yourself to no fun, and lock the aliens in their rooms while the necessary participants work.

Now I need to get those brownies baking... The whole pan is MINE baby. Today has been some day!

Mmmm. Brownies. I need some, too. I get really tired of the whining, yelling, etc. Would you act this way with your old teacher? No, of course not! Then why you do think it's ok with me? Ugh! I still have one in school, though. When he's home and I'm not tied to his school schedule, then everything will be easy (ha ha).

Ok, I have no answers. I just know that I need to write out a schedule for dd to see. Then I have tostick with it. She seems to like a lot more stucture than I do. And I think she'd be less whiney if she had very clear expectations and firm boundaries.

Just remember that you can't kill them. :glare:

That's pretty much all the advice I've got for you. I think the brownie suggestion rocks, and am seriously considering baking some for myself. (Ok, it's a brownie mix from a box, but when you're me, that's considered serious baking.)

Cat