Menu

Grrr. Bought a used copy of Spectrum Test Prep from Amazon Marketplace.

I bought a used copy of the unrevised Spectrum Test Prep book for oldest from a seller on Amazon.

It was listed as Very Good, which according to Amazon means "Very Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in excellent condition. Pages are intact and are not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine remains undamaged."

88 of the 156 pages have writing on them.

I contacted the seller, but I'm not sure if I should send it back because we are testing in 2 weeks and I really don't like the updated and revised versions of this book.

It was only $6.50 with shipping, but things like this really bug me. A book with over half of the pages marked up is not in Very Good condition.

Whether you decide to keep it or to return it, PLEASE leave this seller negative feedback. Most of us rely on feedback to determine whether to buy from this seller or that seller when price/condition are simliar......and when people have a bad purchase and decide they don't want to post a negative for whatever reason....well, it makes it hard on everyone to know which are truly the good sellers and which aren't. Think of it this way....if there had been a couple of buyers posting negatives like "very good listed but half pages written in".....would you still have purchased this from that seller...or would you have kept on looking????? Until their feedback hurts their business, the bad sellers aren't going to change. I have learned to now look at other things they have for sale even if I'd never purchase them.....some sellers list EVERYTHING as very good....and sorry, but no way do I believe that your thousands of used books are all in the very best condition....so it's a check box to you, not a truth.

As for whether to keep it or not....you're probably correct that it's not worth the hassle of returning it especially since you're short on time, and the cost/trouble of returning it going to eat up most of the cost. Maybe you could invest in a large bottle of white out.....it won't look great, but at least it would then be useable. Just be sure that the pages are completely dry before you turn to the next one.....don't ask me how I know, lol. Leave the book on a table (I used the kitchen counter), white out facing pages.....then every time you walk past do another set of pages......I had a book simliar and it took the better part of the day but felt like no time at all because it was a minute here and there. Or....enlist the help of a younger child to do the whiteout......they'll think it's fun.

Whether you decide to keep it or to return it, PLEASE leave this seller negative feedback. Most of us rely on feedback to determine whether to buy from this seller or that seller when price/condition are simliar......and when people have a bad purchase and decide they don't want to post a negative for whatever reason....well, it makes it hard on everyone to know which are truly the good sellers and which aren't. Think of it this way....if there had been a couple of buyers posting negatives like "very good listed but half pages written in".....would you still have purchased this from that seller...or would you have kept on looking????? Until their feedback hurts their business, the bad sellers aren't going to change. I have learned to now look at other things they have for sale even if I'd never purchase them.....some sellers list EVERYTHING as very good....and sorry, but no way do I believe that your thousands of used books are all in the very best condition....so it's a check box to you, not a truth.

As for whether to keep it or not....you're probably correct that it's not worth the hassle of returning it especially since you're short on time, and the cost/trouble of returning it going to eat up most of the cost. Maybe you could invest in a large bottle of white out.....it won't look great, but at least it would then be useable. Just be sure that the pages are completely dry before you turn to the next one.....don't ask me how I know, lol. Leave the book on a table (I used the kitchen counter), white out facing pages.....then every time you walk past do another set of pages......I had a book simliar and it took the better part of the day but felt like no time at all because it was a minute here and there. Or....enlist the help of a younger child to do the whiteout......they'll think it's fun.

They will definitely get low marks from me about this. I'm waiting to see how they're willing to resolve this before I leave feedback. If they're willing to fix it at no cost to me, I'll mention that along with the 88/156 pages. If not, I'll mention that as well.

Thanks for the white out tip. I can make the book work, and will have to, but it's just so frustrating!

Since the problem isn't your fault, and the book was grossly misrepresented, insist that the seller pay for return shipping. That may be enough to get him to simply issue you a refund and tell you to keep the book, as it won't be worth it to him to pay to have the book returned to him. You should not have to pay to return that book, because this isn't a matter of receiving it and not liking it. This is a workbook and it was used!

If the seller doesn't comply, call Amazon about it. If you get a less-than-helpful rep, hang up and call again.

Cat

Since the problem isn't your fault, and the book was grossly misrepresented, insist that the seller pay for return shipping. That may be enough to get him to simply issue you a refund and tell you to keep the book, as it won't be worth it to him to pay to have the book returned to him. You should not have to pay to return that book, because this isn't a matter of receiving it and not liking it. This is a workbook and it was used!

If the seller doesn't comply, call Amazon about it. If you get a less-than-helpful rep, hang up and call again.

Cat

Have you ever filed an A-Z complaint on Amazon? If the seller doesn't offer to refund & pay for return shipping, that's what I was going to do.

I contacted the seller, but I'm not sure if I should send it back because we are testing in 2 weeks and I really don't like the updated and revised versions of this book.

You should complain, but you are probably out of luck to get a perfect resolution, since you want that edition book now. I'd ask for a partial refund.

I would contact the seller first. I recently bought a Harcourt Science workbook listed in "Like New" condition. When I received it, most of the chapter review pages had been torn out. (I guess they were referring to the remaining pages as "like new" because those looked great!) I contacted the seller saying I was very disappointed and that I would like to come to some sort of an agreement before I left my rating. Within hours they had refunded the full amount, including shipping, and they did not expect the book in return.

I know exactly how you feel. I also just bought a used Easy Grammar TM only to find 1/3 to 1/2 of the student pages have been written on. I'm trying to decide what to do about that.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

I had a book that was advertised in like new condition arrive with a one inch tear where the spine and front cover meet. I had purchased from a seller with a large number of positive feedback so I was surprised. When I emailed the seller I received what seemed like a genuine apology that acknowledged that particular book should have never been posted in like new condition. They refunded my money, including shipping, and I was able to keep the book. I was so impressed that I didn't leave negative feedback and actually would buy from this person again based on the honesty and resolution.

I personally would wait to see wait the seller has to say before I made any decisions. We are all human and sometime we make honest mistakes. Hopefully the person you purchased from will do the right thing.

I bought a used copy of the unrevised Spectrum Test Prep book for oldest from a seller on Amazon.

It was listed as Very Good, which according to Amazon means "Very Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in excellent condition. Pages are intact and are not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine remains undamaged."

88 of the 156 pages have writing on them.

It was only $6.50 with shipping, but things like this really bug me. A book with over half of the pages marked up is not in Very Good condition.

So sorry that happened! FYI, my Barnes & Nobles has these (I was just there today) for only $9.95 new and you can get a 20% educators discount with proof of homeschooling. (Membership card to local homeschool group or proof of lesson plans.)

Might be worth it since you need it so quickly.

Blessings,

Angela

So sorry that happened! FYI, my Barnes & Nobles has these (I was just there today) for only $9.95 new and you can get a 20% educators discount with proof of homeschooling. (Membership card to local homeschool group or proof of lesson plans.)

Might be worth it since you need it so quickly.

Blessings,

Angela

Yeah, those are the revised versions, though. I prefer the old, unrevised version. Thanks for the tip, though!

They refunded half of my money for this book ($3.50). They weren't willing to pay for return shipping, I would've had to pay it. That would have cost me almost as much as what I ended up paying.

I just found out all of the answer key pages are missing. So I paid $3.50 for a book that is over 1/2 written in and has 5 missing answer key pages. I dont' think I should be out a penny for this book. I emailed them againg, but doubt I'll hear back.

I'll never buy from bacobooks again.

Goodness, I lost track of this thread...Sorry, I do have the Spectrum Grade 4 Test Practice if you still want it. PM me if you do.

fyi, I've purchased these locally at Sam's and Barnes & Nobel.

Imo, that seller owes you a full refund including shipping.

It's the 4th grade edition.

They refunded half of my money for this book ($3.50). They weren't willing to pay for return shipping, I would've had to pay it. That would have cost me almost as much as what I ended up paying.

I just found out all of the answer key pages are missing. So I paid $3.50 for a book that is over 1/2 written in and has 5 missing answer key pages. I dont' think I should be out a penny for this book. I emailed them againg, but doubt I'll hear back.

Let Amazon know this happened and leave feedback to warn others! I buy and sell on Amazon Marketplace; I need people to trust me as a seller and I need to be able to buy from other sellers with confidence.

Wow, that is absolutely incredible. Why do sellers make such stupid decisions for themselves?? I hope you are leaving them negative feedback!

Don't forget that you have 45 days after payment to dispute the transaction if you paid through Paypal. A common dispute is that an item is "significantly not as described". And since it was described as "Very Good" then missing pages and written pages are definitely not as described. Even "Good" which is a step down from Very Good aren't supposed to have missing pages. When Paypal finds in your favor because of "significantly not as described" it's the seller's responsiblity to pay for return shipping if they want the item back.

I know a lot of people feel that Paypal isn't always fair and sides with the seller, but I have filed several disputes over the years for items not described properly, and always won my case. It costs you nothing but time to file, so since you seem resigned to not getting your money back anyway, you've got nothing to lose and a few extra dollars to gain. I'd open the dispute saying that the $3.50 refund she offered was not acceptable and request a full refund. The Seller is likely to go ahead and refund it to you rather than have it escalated to Paypal making a decision....because Sellers with too many losing disputes can lose their paypal and ebay accounts.

Amazon refunded the rest of my money (I filed an A-Z complaint), and I left negative feedback for the seller (bacobooks).

Just in case anyone was curious :001_smile:.

That's wonderful!!! Good for you, and for Amazon!!