Menu

Vote: Mansfield Park or Northanger Abbey???

Movie preferences are so subjective ! Here's one set of thoughts, though. . . .

(1) Mansfield Park -- old BBC version. Close to the novel. Actress who plays Fanny has the most irritating (!) habit of suddenly wringing her fingers. Some sort of nervous habit, I guess. I love the acting of the woman who plays Aunt Norris; I have enjoyed her in other films. Overall, the film "looks" faded and dated, as do many of those older BBC classic literature films. Nonetheless, this is the only "MP" version of interest, if one likes films which stay close to the original text.

(2) Mansfield Park -- 1999 version. I have not, and will not view this one. Everything that I read indicated that it was a tawdry, sleazy altering of the novel.

(3) Mansfield Park -- 2007 version. I have not viewed this one because I am suspicious of Maggie Wadey's screenwriting, ever since I viewed her disgusting distortion of Wharton's "The Buccaneers".

(4) Northanger Abbey -- older BBC version. OK. No more than that. I disliked the very creepy bath house scene. A couple of my friends have seen this version and, unprompted by me, also voiced discomfort with this scene.

(5) Northanger Abbey -- new version. Better, to be sure. One major flaw was the writer's innovation of having Isabella yield to seduction by Captain Tilney (and to show the aftermath). The casting for this version is much better than casting for the older one, imo.

If you have not read Northanger Abbey, take time to read it before watching either version. First time that I read the book, I laughed hard in several places !

If you try to forget that the 1999 MP version is trying to be an Austen adaptation, it's actually a beautiful film. Of course it veers far from the book, especially in the characterization of Fanny. But then, I dislike the Fanny from the novel, so I didn't mind the liberties that Patricia Rozema took.

I really enjoyed the old BBC Mansfield Park. I think someone else mentioned Fanny being annooying, I agree, but it is still a very complete and wonderful adaptation. You will have to bear with really bad production quality.

I didn't fall in love with Northanger Abbey, so I never seen and can't comment on the adaptations. Whichever one you choose, enjoy!

Northanger Abbey is a scream - I saw the new version and then read the book and I could not believe that I had never read it before! I thought that the casting and soundtrack were extremely good. My daughters love Mr. Tilney almost as much as they love Mr. Thornton from North and South!

Mansfield Park was a favorite of mine when I was in my 20s but I seem to have lost patience with Fanny. The 1999 version scarred me for life! Ok - not really, but I was pretty horrified! The newer version with Billie Piper was all right, I guess.

I have been thinking of watching a few older BBC productions of some of these this summer - maybe I will find a new favorite!

ETA: So I vote for Northanger Abbey!!!

Edited by Liza Q

I really enjoyed the new Northanger Abbey (though I agree about Isabella's seduction). Good casting and acting, etc.

I haven't seen the newest Mansfield Park except for small bits, and what I've seen hasn't been good. Billie Piper as a hoyden Fanny? I don't think so.

The 1999 Mansfield Park was almost OK. I liked Edward. Fanny was still too assertive, and there's a subplot added in about slavery and vice. I may have forgotten what others are objecting to.

But the problem with MP is that there is really very little action in the book and Fanny is not a heroine modern moviemakers are going to portray accurately. I don't think a film director in existence would make a true MP movie.