Menu

Rainbow Science

Wasn't Rainbow Science very highly recommended in the last WTM? It didn't make it into this edition-- what happened?

That surprises me! I think it's an excellent curriculum. I wonder why it wasn't listed. What logic stage science programs are recommended?

Jennifer

That surprises me! I think it's an excellent curriculum. I wonder why it wasn't listed. What logic stage science programs are recommended?

Jennifer

It looks like Exploration Education and Real Science-4-Kids are what are mentioned for the Logic stages as alternates. Main ones:

5th: (Life Science) A variety of things to put together--hands-on heavy

6th: (Earth Science & Astronomy) A variety of things

7th: (Chemistry) The main things mentioned are the CHEM C2000 Chemistry Kit and a Periodic Table of Elements Chartlet. Then a variety of things to supplement.

8th: (Physics) "Backyard Ballistics" and a variety from Thames & Kosmos.

She's right, no mention of Rainbow Science! Bummer!:confused:

Brindee,

Thanks for the update. I'm still planning on using Rainbow for my dd. Dh and I met the author at our GA convention. I was impressed with his background and overall approach to logic stage prep for high school sciences. Plus, I *love* how he covers the evolution vs creationism debate.

Jennifer

This is just a guess. The WTM author seems not to care much for "survey courses", which encompass assorted science topics. Seems that she prefers, for logic stage and beyond, single-subject science courses for each school year. That rules out Rainbow Science.

This is just a guess. The WTM author seems not to care much for "survey courses", which encompass assorted science topics. Seems that she prefers, for logic stage and beyond, single-subject science courses for each school year. That rules out Rainbow Science.

I plan on doing Rainbow for 7th and 8th with my dd. It really isn't assorted topics. The topics are by semester. The first year is Physics and Chemistry, one semester each. The second year is Biology first semester, then Applied Science. I think that last semester will be the only one I would call assorted.

Hmm.. I'm interested too, in how he handles evolution and creationism. In Cathy Duffy's Top 100 Homeschool Picks I read that Rainbow Science says that it teaches evolution along with creationism but she says it seems that it refutes evolution rather than teach it.

I like the looks of Rainbow Science and the fact that everything's included doesn't hurt.

The description on the website sounds too good to be true. Does anyone have more information or reviews?

Rainbow Science is not secular.

http://www.beginningspublishing.com/index.html

Thank you Stacia.

I have my answer from this scope and sequence http://www.beginningspublishing.com/RL1ss.htm which includes:

1. So What’s Life? (Defining life and placing science in perspective with the Christian religion)

1. The Great Debate (An overview of the debate on the origin of life: the evolutionary bias)
  2. Bang? (Christian perspective on the origin of the universe)
  3. Abiogenesis (Christian perspective on the origin of life; based on our knowledge of physics and chemistry, the unlikelihood of life arising from non-life by purely physical processes)
  4. Making You Out of Apes? (Christian perspective on the origin of humans)
  5. Adaptive Evolution (What has been observed that may rightly be called "evolution")

I am wondering if this course teaches young earth or old earth or just tries to stay out of that debate.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I plan on doing Rainbow for 7th and 8th with my dd. It really isn't assorted topics. The topics are by semester. The first year is Physics and Chemistry, one semester each. The second year is Biology first semester, then Applied Science. I think that last semester will be the only one I would call assorted.

The last semester is actually earth science from what I see, looking at the scope and sequence.

I actually like Rainbow Science quite a bit although I am Old-Earth 100%. I feel that we can discuss the difference in beliefs and it will be a learning experience. That is a minor portion of the curriculum and I do like the way chem/physics is treated as well as the bridge math and later on the spectrum chemistry.For now I intend to stick with Rainbow, modifying where I need to, in order to suit our belief system. It is a solid curriculum and my daughter, who is planning on pre-med, likes it very much.

My error. I must be thinking of what I read about the upcoming elementary school program from them, "The Colours."

So they do teach young earth? Wouldn't that mess up (from an old earth standpoint) geology quite a bit?

Rainbow has several lessons where he specifically states that it is unlikely that life and order would spring out of chaos.

However, he says nothing about timeframe. I believe he pointedly stays out of that debate.

Does that help?

Yes Julie, that helps. Thanks! I was trying to ask in just the right way. I don't intend to step on any toes. If I don't stay with WP for Grammar Stage science, I might consider Colors.

I think the Jr. High and High School looks excellent! The math program sounds really great.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I actually like Rainbow Science quite a bit although I am Old-Earth 100%. I feel that we can discuss the difference in beliefs and it will be a learning experience. That is a minor portion of the curriculum and I do like the way chem/physics is treated as well as the bridge math and later on the spectrum chemistry.For now I intend to stick with Rainbow, modifying where I need to, in order to suit our belief system. It is a solid curriculum and my daughter, who is planning on pre-med, likes it very much.
Thanks for the review Dana. I was worried that something might be left out, it is hard to wrap my mind around not studying one discipline at a time.