Menu

SO, my 11 year old will be going to Italy for 17 days. I want her to do a crash course in the study of Italy. She's not leaving until the end of August. SO, what books would you read? What sites would you just have to see? If you've been there, what's to die for?

She's going with her G-pa (my dad) so he's use to traveling, and has a list of where he wants to go....I'm just curious about what she might want to see.

And yes, I'm a bit jealous! BUT, very happy for her. And, we're studying Ancient History...next year!

Carrie:-)

SO, my 11 year old will be going to Italy for 17 days. I want her to do a crash course in the study of Italy. She's not leaving until the end of August. SO, what books would you read? What sites would you just have to see? If you've been there, what's to die for?

She's going with her G-pa (my dad) so he's use to traveling, and has a list of where he wants to go....I'm just curious about what she might want to see.

And yes, I'm a bit jealous! BUT, very happy for her. And, we're studying Ancient History...next year!

Well don't let her go to the fountain! I don't remember which one, just that it is in Rome. There was one with the myth/legend/whatever that if you threw a coin backwards into this fountain you'd return some day. Mom and dad did it so I did too. Then I cried all the way back to the hotel. I was 4 and thought I'd <poof> return in the middle of the night without my parents. It scared me.

She will have a great time! And I haven't <poof> returned to the fountain (and now I'm pushing 40) so even if she throws the coin in, I'm sure she will be fine! :tongue_smilie: OH and I'm jealous of her too!

I've already thought of all the things she should try while there, she's allergic to peanuts and shellfish, so that may be a problem. I want her to be tested for real, which is when they have you consume the products that you are supposedly allergic to in a controlled environment. It would be SO much easier if she isn't really allergic!

My 13 yo ds went to Rome last year with his aunt and loved it. We'd just done the Ancients so the timing was perfect. Most of their site seeing focused on Roman armies and war as did his pre trip reading. He also read about the Rennaissance and the artists of that area.

I'm sorry but I can't remember any specific books. I think I'd have her an intro to Roman history so the trip will be more meaningful for her.

Ds says that pizza and gelato were both highlights.

I like the Eyewitness travel guides. They have great pictures & brief descriptions. Half the fun is in the planning so she might be able to pick out a couple of things to put on the itinerary. There is so much to see & do, I'm sure it will be a trip that she will never forget! One thing that we learned real quick was to avoid the subway during the afternoon when people are getting off work, it can get crazy.

Where is she going in Italy? I have some dear friends that are from Sicily and Florence. Actually, they are there now. I could get some good local info if I know more specifics.

The Colosseum in Rome was probably my favorite site, it was *incredibly* interesting.

Other than that?

Pompeii

Accademia di Belle Arti (This is where Michelangelo's David is located, make reservations!)

The Uffizi gallery

The Vatican (my sister and I both cried at the Pieta)

the catacombs of Rome

There are tons of *amazing* things to see..and eat!

There are tons of *amazing* things to see..and eat!

Thanks! Yes, I'm sure. She's allergic to peanuts and shellfish....I'm having her tested before she goes, in a controlled atmosphere (at an allergists office) because that will be a pain!

She's been doing Latin pretty seriously for 3 years, and it looks like there are some words that are mighty close. My mom was looking this morning. Plus, it seems that it would be a great place to attend Mass....maybe even in Latin??