Menu

Why I'm Choosing to Home

I read this this morning and thought I'd share. It was timely comfort to me as I battle my nervousness and waiver in my decision to bring my middle-schooler home from the public schools next year.

Written by a gentlman named John Taylor Gatto, and originally published in the Wall Street Journal in 1991, here's the link to where I found it today:

http://educationrevolution.stores.yahoo.net/iquit.html

I’ve taught public school for 26 years but I just can’t do it anymore. For years I asked the local school board and superintendent to let me teach a curriculum that doesn’t hurt kids, but they had other fish to fry. So I’m going to quit, I think.

I’ve come slowly to understand what it is I really teach: A curriculum of confusion, class position, arbitrary justice, vulgarity, rudeness, disrespect for privacy, indifference to quality, and utter dependency. I teach how to

fit into a world I don’t want to live in.

[please do not include entire article]

I read this this morning and thought I'd share. It was timely comfort to me as I battle my nervousness and waiver in my decision to bring my middle-schooler home from the public schools next year.

Written by a gentlman named John Taylor Gatto, and originally published in the Wall Street Journal in 1991, here's the link to where I found it today:

http://educationrevolution.stores.yahoo.net/iquit.html

I’ve taught public school for 26 years but I just can’t do it anymore. For years I asked the local school board and superintendent to let me teach a curriculum that doesn’t hurt kids, but they had other fish to fry. So I’m going to quit, I think.

I’ve come slowly to understand what it is I really teach: A curriculum of confusion, class position, arbitrary justice, vulgarity, rudeness, disrespect for privacy, indifference to quality, and utter dependency. I teach how to

fit into a world I don’t want to live in.

This is why my mother quit teaching in public schools after about the same amount of time as you, and why she is fiercely supportive of me homeschooling. She tried subbing a few years ago, too, to make some extra money, and couldn't stand it anymore. She wrote a note to the regular teacher saying she couldn't teach the current math instructions because they didn't make sense, even though she'd taught elementary math for years.:lol: