Menu

Would you eat this?

considering that most relishes sit on the counter at restaurants and don't get refrigerated at all...I would eat one, see how I feel and call it good.

I would try to use them up faster than normal. The high vinegar component of pickles should help them stay relatively safe for a longer period of time.

I would refrigerate from now on though.

considering that most relishes sit on the counter at restaurants and don't get refrigerated at all...I would eat one, see how I feel and call it good.

I would try to use them up faster than normal. The high vinegar component of pickles should help them stay relatively safe for a longer period of time.

I would refrigerate from now on though.

:iagree: What she said. You could put them into tuna salad, egg salad, on sandwiches, chicken salad... if you like the taste. :001_smile:

I would see if there's an 800# on the back to call and ask.

I would, too. Otherwise, I'd toss the jar and consider it a lesson learned. I don't take chances when it comes to potentially tainted food. I've had food poisoning and it is absolutely miserable.

I'd hate to waste the whole jar, too, but is it worth the few dollars you will have wasted to take a chance on getting very ill?

Cat

PS. It would seem to me that there's a chance that the pickles might still be ok because of all of the vinegar, but because the "normal" taste and odor is so strong, it may also be very difficult to tell if they're bad by tasting them or smelling them. I'd definitely take Becky's advice and call.

I don't know if sweet pickles are different, but when I was a girl, the corner store used to sell pickles from a big jar that sat on the counter, and they weren't refrigerated. We never got sick.

I wouldn't know though. I'd hate for anyone to get sick.

Edited by Blessedfamily

My parents make pickles every year. The vinegar they are in is a brining solution, it will not let them spoil. You could keep pickles out on your counter just in the solution for a very long time without anything happening to them. In fact dill pickles are not refridgered or canned until they are pickles. Sweet pickles are usually canned during the process, but they don't have to be. Eat 'em, they are fine.

Melissa