Menu

Wizard of Oz sequels?

DS newly 5 and I just finished reading Wizard of Oz aloud, and then he's followed it up by listening to it on audiobook.  I've only read the original, not the sequels, but he's asking to listen to more Oz stories.

OK for a 5 yo? Should I preview?

He's sensitive to "scary parts" in movies, but he doesn't seem to be overly so to books.

The sequels by Frank Oz are very similar to Wizard of Oz in amount of , so if your 5yo enjoyed that without being scared or it being too intense or "fever-dream-ish" (lol), he'd probably be fine with sequels. Our DSs esp. enjoyed these two sequels:

- The Land of Oz

Ozma of Oz

Some other books your 5yo also might enjoy that are a bit similar in feel to Wizard of Oz:

- Raggedy Ann and Andy (Gruelle)

- Pippi Longstockings series (Lindgren)

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Carroll)

- Mary Poppins (Travers)

- Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Dahl)

- Doctor Doolittle (Lofting)

• Like 4

Thank you, Lori! I just set him up with Ozma of Oz for rest time, and he’s very excited.

Mary Poppins and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are on my read aloud list this year, so I’ll definitely check out the others for read aloud or audiobooks.

Edited by medawyn
  • Like 1

Thank you, Lori! I just set him up with Ozma of Oz for rest time, and he’s very excited.

Mary Poppins and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are on my read aloud list this year, so I’ll definitely check out the others for read aloud or audiobooks.

Warning: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory actually has some scary bits -- all those kids being blown up, etc.  I liked it growing up but my husband was terrified and it has me looking at the book with new eyes

• Like 1

Warning: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory actually has some scary bits -- all those kids being blown up, etc.  I liked it growing up but my husband was terrified and it has me looking at the book with new eyes

Thank you for the warning.  I used to teach it to 2nd graders (it was on the booklist before my time), but I'll skim my copy with my "parent eyes" now.  

The sequels by Frank Oz are very similar to Wizard of Oz in amount of , so if your 5yo enjoyed that without being scared or it being too intense or "fever-dream-ish" (lol), he'd probably be fine with sequels. Our DSs esp. enjoyed these two sequels:

- The Land of Oz

- Ozma of Oz

Some other books your 5yo also might enjoy that are a bit similar in feel to Wizard of Oz:

- Raggedy Ann and Andy (Gruelle)

- Pippi Longstockings series (Lindgren)

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Carroll)

- Mary Poppins (Travers)

- Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Dahl)

- Doctor Doolittle (Lofting)

I love all of these suggestions, but (teehee) I got a giggle from your typo. Frank L. Baum wrote the Oz series, not Frank Oz. I know that you know this! It was funny, though; my mind kept picturing the great and powerful Burt from Sesame Street yelling at Fozzie, Miss Piggy, and Grover to pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. 😂

• Like 2

I love all of these suggestions, but (teehee) I got a giggle from your typo. Frank L. Baum wrote the Oz series, not Frank Oz. I know that you know this! It was funny, though; my mind kept picturing the great and powerful Burt from Sesame Street yelling at Fozzie, Miss Piggy, and Grover to pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. 😂

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

The Oz books were some of my favorite books when I was little!  I've read them to all four of my kids at various ages, and can't think of any scary parts.  (Not scarier than Wizard of Oz, anyway.)  Some are (imo) just better or more interesting than others, however.  My favorite sequels are Ozma of Oz, Rinkitink in Oz, and The Emerald City of Oz.