Menu

planning 3rd grade for my dyslexic

Making room for reading instruction means we drop a lot. That's okay, right?? Like, we are not doing WWE or FLL or anything like that. We do Abecedarian, other reading stuff, and a handwriting page (sometimes it is copy work, sometimes it is learning cursive, etc). Then we listen to a history audio book,  I read a chapter or two of a read aloud (Little House books currently), and a few times a week I read from a science text. We also watch a lot of documentaries, educational television, and talk about stuff. We go to the science museum and parks and such. 

Is that okay? She wants to learn Spanish but I'm hesitant to add in another language when she is still struggling to read English. Same with the idea of Latin. IF she's reading better next year I will add in some kind of writing I guess, not sure what would be best. 

(oh, and of course we do math, currently CLE, which she is very good at.)

• Like 1

That is absolutely ok.  We didn't get serious about writing, grammar, or spelling until my son's was reading well.

One thing we did though was focus not only on the deficits, but also on developing strengths.  My son was good at math, so while we remediated his reading (and then the various aspects of writing), we worked equally hard on math.  Since this resulted in him being a few years ahead, it was obvious to him that he was good at it, which is worth a lot when everything else is so difficult.

I don't know how to advise you on Spanish.  It wouldn't have been a good fit here.  But if you just focus on conversation in a casual way, it might work.  I do know some dyslexic people who actually excel at languages, but that wasn't the case with my son.

If you do Spanish and work very hard on the syllable and sound level, comparing and contrasting Spanish and English syllables, it may actually help strengthen the reading skills in English, and will eventually help with understanding and reading upper level words derived from Latin, Latin and Spanish are very close and share a lot of basic pronunciation patterns.

La Pata Pita is a good currently available book that teaches Spanish using syllables.

https://www.amazon.com/pata-pita-Spanish-Hilda-Perera/dp/1941802605/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520616044&sr=8-1&keywords=la+pata+pita&dpID=51yeuX0e2qL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

And, my syllable program will explain the syllables in English.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

It only takes a few minutes a day to learn parts of speech, I would at least teach that, you can do it orally and then have some fun with Mad Libs.  This is a fun read aloud series for parts of speech, many libraries have them:

https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Were-Verb-Word-ebook/dp/B00ESEEE7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520616124&sr=8-1&keywords=if+I+were+a+verb

Spanish is so useful where you live, I would definitely get her access to it. Do it all auditory, not written. If she can understand the inferences and learn from context, try Muzzy. If she can't then Rosetta Stone.

Try to keep up with oral narration, at least once a week. She's probably going to need help with the structure of writing so it's something not to get way behind on. Narration is enough for now but be doing it. WWE is unnecessary. Grammar can be later.

Is she listening to audiobooks? Do it as much as she would be reading if her reading were on level, so 1-2 hours a day. My ds is listening to the Redwall series right now, something like that...

I think what you're doing looks great!  I'm particularly impressed you've got regular handwriting and cursive (!) going on.  

I agree with others - I don't think you have to totally count out languages - if it's important to you and there's interest from your DD.  

We've been doing pretty gentle Latin this year (My DS is 10 and dyslexic) - we like Getting Started with Latin - A fairly inexpensive book and you can download all the lessons read out by the author for free - great for pronunciation! 

In case you haven't seen this - Bravewriter has a lot of good direction on her website for what she calls the "Jot it Down" stage - narrations and copywork ideas, ideas for a "writing project" that child narrates and parent does most/all of the actual writing out. 

We only just started working on writing - and my DS is really at a beginning stage - consolidating handwriting, starting to do short "freewrites".  I also had to focus on reading and left the (probably equally) difficult writing for later. There's only so much difficult stuff you can do at one time, ya know?  For everyone's sanity...

• Like 1

I just started Latin this year with my 4th grade dyslexic DS. Doesn't seem to be a problem for him, but I didn't start in 3rd just because we were spending enough energy on Barton.

I would not rule out WWE. I have done just the narration and copywork parts (no dictation) of WWE with all three of my dyslexic children. I found it a very good way to get in a bit of writing/composition without them having to actually "write" anything. And the copywork was good for talking about punctuation and mechanics. Grammar Island is great for many dyslexic kids because they tend to be so creative. So that is something to think about for the future (we started in 4th grade). 

• Like 2

Cusimano has a book for Auditory Memory in Context Instructional Workbook:For the Development of Attention, Listening, Processing and Recall of Sentences and Paragraphs: Addie Cusimano: 9780972776288: Amazon.com: Books  It would be a more structured, scaled, progressive way of working on dictation if WWE isn't cutting it. I definitely like hepatica's suggestion to use WWE as narration and copywork but hanging the dictation. For kids with significant issues (language, working memory), the WWE dictation can be torture. That's why I got the Cusimano text, to see if that owuld work better for ds.

Yes! That is plenty!

Depending on where she is in Eng reading, some Spanish might help, not hurt.  You might want to seize on her interest, but with agreement to stop the Span if it seems to cause more English reading difficulties.

When she gets to Tom and Ricky reading level, they are (or at least used to be) available as bilingual Eng/Span readers. Other readers also may be avail in bilingual editions.

working on Duolingo German helped my son with his English