Menu

I'm getting a little scared ......

Home'scool

I work in an office with 4 other people. I started about 2 years ago. It is a great job, nice people, good pay, blah blah blah.

The only thing is this ...... my boss, who started 6 months ago, was just diagnosed with breast cancer 2 weeks ago. Now my co-worker was diagnosed with an breast abnormality this week. My old boss, who was here for about 25 years and just retired, developed cancer while he was working here, as did the previous clerical worker.

So that means, in a small office, right now there are two out of four of us diagnosed with cancer, and two others who worked here developed cancer. 

It is an old building. It was a junior high school that was converted about 10 years ago into the Town Hall. In total there are about 100 people who work in the building and I have not heard a lot about cancer in general. It just seems to hit our department hard.

Would you be concerned and look for another job? Or would you chalk it up to a statistical anomaly?

Ironically enough, i work for the Board of Health!

I was going to post the same statistics as regentrude.

There is no way that 6 months in the office caused breast cancer in your boss.

I do understand the feeling though. During my last pregnancy it seemed that every other pregnant woman I knew developed pre-eclampsia and serious complications. I was anxious even though I knew my own statistical chances of developing pre-eclampsia or other issues hadn't gone up.

My cousin's wife died of cancer, then a few years later my cousin and several years later their son. It is beyond heartbreaking and bizarre but they all had different cancers and the doctors are pretty convinced it was just a horrible fluke nor some shared causality. (For the record, their other child seems to be fine and is a nurse now) ... so I'm leaning toward anomalous if there isn't an overall unusual number in the building ( or in the former student population)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk