Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW50: Eating and Reading through the holidays

Robin M

Finished Nora Robert’s newest Year One. Didn’t hate it but also didn’t entirely love it as I have a few nitpicks. Could have been so much better. Mum and Karen, have you read it yet?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Robin.  I'm currently on the hold list.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Finished Nora Robert’s newest Year One. Didn’t hate it but also didn’t entirely love it as I have a few nitpicks. Could have been so much better. Mum and Karen, have you read it yet? Diving into Cogman’s Invisible Library.

I'm off the holds list but haven't had a chance to start it yet. I hope you enjoy the Invisible Library. That series is a favorite, I think there is a new one releasing in early 2018. I have several books on Overdrive that are returning themselves in the next few days. Since they were all checked out for specific challenges I need to get them read if possible, soon. While I can keep the devices off the WiFi I prefer not to for long.

I'm currently reading Meg Gardiner's UNSUB for one of the U's. I really enjoyed her Eve Delaneyhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22030691-midsummer-moon series many years ago so was hoping this book would be a treat. I think my reading habit's may be more the problem than the book which is all about the search for a serial killer. I seem to have moved away from from that type of thriller. It's well done but I don't think I'm flipping the pages at quite my previous speed! ;)

• Like 3

Goodness, is it Thursday already??

In book news, I finally finished the epic fantasy tome, Oathbringer!  Woohoo -- yet another chunkster in my 2017 booklist. Like other epic fantasies, it got rather silly during the epic final battle, but overall I really enjoyed the book. It took its time with character development, and I love spending time in the worlds Brandon Sanderson creates. He has gotten better in writing female characters, but it is still his weakest point. 

In real life news, I'm busy getting the house ready -- food, decorations, general cleaning, because my youngest ds, the one living in Japan, is coming home for Christmas!!  We pick him up Saturday and he will be here for almost 3 weeks! The oldest will be bringing his girlfriend down to join some family activities, and I've got a niece in town to join us, too, so we'll have a full and busy house!

And does one need to be on twitter to do the Dark is Rising reread? (Stupid question, I guess. I don't need twitter in order to enjoy a book, right?!) This youngest ds and I listened to it together back when we was a young teen, and we both really enjoyed it. I'm guessing he won't want to join me, but I'm going to float the idea.

• Like 9

Goodness, is it Thursday already??

In book news, I finally finished the epic fantasy tome, Oathbringer! Woohoo -- yet another chunkster in my 2017 booklist. Like other epic fantasies, it got rather silly during the epic final battle, but overall I really enjoyed the book. It took its time with character development, and I love spending time in the worlds Brandon Sanderson creates. He has gotten better in writing female characters, but it is still his weakest point.

In real life news, I'm busy getting the house ready -- food, decorations, general cleaning, because my youngest ds, the one living in Japan, is coming home for Christmas!! We pick him up Saturday and he will be here for almost 3 weeks! The oldest will be bringing his girlfriend down to join some family activities, and I've got a niece in town to join us, too, so we'll have a full and busy house!

And does one need to be on twitter to do the Dark is Rising reread? (Stupid question, I guess. I don't need twitter in order to enjoy a book, right?!) This youngest ds and I listened to it together back when we was a young teen, and we both really enjoyed it. I'm guessing he won't want to join me, but I'm going to float the idea.

I am not on twitter and really don't plan to be. I bookmarked the blogs and have my fingers crossed that I can continue to look at the twitter questions via their links. I seem to be able to look but not post which is perfect from my perspective. I was thinking one of us could get the daily question and post it here and discuss among ourselves. I would love it if you join us!

You must be so excited! I keep wondering what your son is looking forward to most food wise. The boys in our family visited Chickfila before we even left the airport on this last trip. The girls had Panda but not with the same enthusiasm, we were just hungry. ;) Popeye's is a craving for members of my family also. I miss Taco Bell but there is now one open in England near me, just not convenient, so I no longer get to complain.

Book question for all.......Has anyone read Georgette Heyer's mysteries? There appear to be 12 and they are a new addition to my overdrive. They are in her Manor House Mystery collection per overdrive so I am hoping they will work well for Brit tripping. I put a hold on the first one, Footsteps in the Dark.

• Like 4

I am not on twitter and really don't plan to be. I bookmarked the blogs and have my fingers crossed that I can continue to look at the twitter questions via their links. I seem to be able to look but not post which is perfect from my perspective. I was thinking one of us could get the daily question and post it here and discuss among ourselves. I would love it if you join us!

You must be so excited! I keep wondering what your son is looking forward to most food wise. The boys in our family visited Chickfila before we even left the airport on this last trip. The girls had Panda but not with the same enthusiasm, we were just hungry. ;) Popeye's is a craving for members of my family also. I miss Taco Bell but there is now one open in England near me, just not convenient, so I no longer get to complain.

Book question for all.......Has anyone read Georgette Heyer's mysteries? There appear to be 12 and they are a new addition to my overdrive. They are in her Manor House Mystery collection per overdrive so I am hoping they will work well for Brit tripping. I put a hold on the first one, Footsteps in the Dark.

I think he is most looking forward to not having to eat his own cooking, lol! And to have a variety of cheeses and breads and red meat on hand. There is a McDonalds in his small town and the Japanese chain "Mr. Doughnut" so he does get his American fast food fix. I figure we'll either be grilling burgers or pizza the first night he is home, then doing the other the next day. And making french toast for breakfast. Italian and Mexican, as in So Cal fish tacos, will be on the must do list for going out.

And yeah, I'm pretty excited!!

• Like 5

A slew of bookish posts ~

44 Mystery Romance Novels to Read Right Now  byTasha Brandstatter

[and a currently free Kindle book that is on the list ~ Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series Book 1)

by Patricia Ryan, a.k.a. P.B. Ryan]

How Audiobooks Made Me Appreciate Nonfiction  by Yaika Sabat

6 Short Nonfiction Audiobooks to Expand Your Mind  by Emma Nichols

The 10 Best Full-Cast Audiobooks To Fuel Your Holiday Roadtrips  by Casey Stepaniuk

Most Popular Audiobooks of the Last 20 Years  by Kate Krug

Romance Novels for Hillary

Harry Potter Holiday Gift Guide 2017  by Casey Stepaniuk

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

And some more bookish posts ~

I Loved These Books As a Teen — Do They Hold Up Now?  by Amber Troska

"I recently found myself combing through some boxes of old books and papers and came across a fascinating personal artifact. On the surface it’s a pretty unremarkable object, just a crumbling spiral-bound notebook covered in childish graffiti. But inside is over a decade of my life—a handwritten list of every book I read between 4th grade and college graduation. Looking through it was a bit like spelunking into the past, a unique look at the strata of different life stages, delineated by changes in handwriting and shifting interests like so many compressed layers of rock...."

Where Should You Start Reading The Chronicles of Narnia?  by Mari Ness

Fantasy Writers That Make Great Use of Haunted Rivers, an American Literary Tradition  by Katie Rask

Watch Your Ovens CAREFULLY, Everyone: The Gingerbread Boy  by Mari Ness

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Here is my completed BIngo card.

B

Prime Number.....The Seventh Miss Hatfield by Anna Caltabiano

Flufferton.............Amberwell by DE Stevenson

Eastern Europe...The Shadow Land by Elizabeth Kostova

Bestseller written in child’s birth year.....The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy

Steampunk..........The Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

I

Science Fiction....Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer

Your Name in the Title....A Tan and Sandy Silence by John D. MacDonald

Collection of Short Stories.... Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami

Seaworthy......Sanibel Flats by Randy Wayne White

Middle Ages....The Last Templar by Michael Jenks

N

Western...........The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt

Ancient up to 100AD.....Sarum by Edward Rutherford

Free Space......The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

Dystopian.........The Last One by Alexandra Olivia

Mystery.............Death of a Ghost by MC Beaton

G

Translated........Snowblind by Ragnar Jonasson

Outer Space.....The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Finance.............A $500 House in Detroit by Drew Philip

One Word Title.....Home by Harlan Cohen

Debut Author........ Under the Harrow by Flynn Berry

O

Over 500 pages.......By Gaslight by Steven Price

Local Author.............Runemarks by Joanne Harris

Female Adventure....First ComesLove, Then Comes Malaria by Eve Brown-Waite

Classic.......................War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Selected by a Friend......Welcome to Night Vale

I have to say thank you for this challenge to Robin. It’s been a challenge, :lol: This card definitely got me out of my comfort zones,

• Like 9

Mumto2 - Congrats on finishing Bingo!

Kareni - thanks for all the interesting links as usual - I've added some more  books to my holds at the library as a result.

I'm reading three books at the moment.  

First off is The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni - thanks to some recommendations from other BaWers, I'm using this for my Ancient square and it is a good choice.  I'm enjoying it so far.

Next is Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer - a sci-fi novel about 4 women who entered a mysterious Area X and what ensues.  Seems like people love it or hate it;  so far I'm intrigued and not bored but I'm not very far in.

Finally still plugging away at the awful memoir from  my shelf project.  I'm aiming to finish this in 2017 but I won't finish The Shelf, as I had planned to do.  There will probably be about 6 books left (out of 30+).  Next year I'll finish off this shelf and then probably do the half shelf that lies between the shelf I'm doing right now and the shelf I did last year.  Since that won't quite equal a whole shelf, I'm hoping that I'll also be able to make some headway on my TBR library list.  

It's been a busy week at work (end of term, final assignments, panicking students cheating and dealing with the aftermath of that) so I haven't had time to read the thread til today.  

• Like 5

Last night I finished a young adult book which I enjoyed. 

Future Shock  by Elizabeth Briggs

"New York Times Bestseller

A Top 100 Amazon Bestseller
A 2017 Westchester Fiction Award Winner

What do you do when the future is too late, and the present is counting down to an inevitable moment?

Elena Martinez has street smarts, the ability for perfect recall, and a deadline: if she doesn't find a job before she turns eighteen, she'll be homeless. But then she gets an unexpected offer from Aether Corporation, the powerful Los Angeles tech giant. Along with four other recruits--Adam, Chris, Trent, and Zoe--Elena is being sent on a secret mission to bring back data from the future. All they have to do is get Aether the information they need, and the five of them will be set for life. It's an offer Elena can't refuse.

But something goes wrong when the time travelers arrive in the future. And they are forced to break the only rule they were given--not to look into their own fates. Now they have twenty-four hours to get back to the present and find a way to stop a seemingly inevitable future--and a murder--from happening. But changing the timeline has deadly consequences too. Who can Elena trust as she fights to save her life?

The first book in an unforgettable series about rewriting your destiny in the city of dreams."

I see now it's the first in a series.  I'll be looking to see if my library has the next book.

Some currently free Kindle books ~

a romance by the above author; this is not young adult: More Than Once: A Holiday Romance (Chasing The Dream Book 4)  by Elizabeth Briggs

Uncharted (Jersey Girls Book 3)  by Lisa-Marie Cabrelli

One Night in Tehran: A Titus Ray Thriller  by Luana Ehrlich

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I've read many of GH's Regency romances and a couple of her mysteries, the most recent being A Christmas Party (original title Envious Casca ). They're good!  I've not read Footsteps but it is on my TBR list and sounds like a good one!

SaveSave

• Like 4

In real life news, I'm busy getting the house ready -- food, decorations, general cleaning, because my youngest ds, the one living in Japan, is coming home for Christmas!!  We pick him up Saturday and he will be here for almost 3 weeks! The oldest will be bringing his girlfriend down to join some family activities, and I've got a niece in town to join us, too, so we'll have a full and busy house!

:hurray:

It's been a couple decades since I've read any of Heyer's mysteries.  I remember liking them.  Yes, we should add her to the mystery read.   I think Amy's read a few.   

Here is my completed BIngo card.

B

Prime Number.....The Seventh Miss Hatfield by Anna Caltabiano

Flufferton.............Amberwell by DE Stevenson

Eastern Europe...The Shadow Land by Elizabeth Kostova

Bestseller written in child’s birth year.....The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy

Steampunk..........The Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

I

Science Fiction....Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer

Your Name in the Title....A Tan and Sandy Silence by John D. MacDonald

Collection of Short Stories.... Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami

Seaworthy......Sanibel Flats by Randy Wayne White

Middle Ages....The Last Templar by Michael Jenks

N

Western...........The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt

Ancient up to 100AD.....Sarum by Edward Rutherford

Free Space......The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

Dystopian.........The Last One by Alexandra Olivia

Mystery.............Death of a Ghost by MC Beaton

G

Translated........Snowblind by Ragnar Jonasson

Outer Space.....The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Finance.............A $500 House in Detroit by Drew Philip

One Word Title.....Home by Harlan Cohen

Debut Author........ Under the Harrow by Flynn Berry

O

Over 500 pages.......By Gaslight by Steven Price

Local Author.............Runemarks by Joanne Harris

Female Adventure....First ComesLove, Then Comes Malaria by Eve Brown-Waite

Classic.......................War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Selected by a Friend......Welcome to Night Vale

I have to say thank you for this challenge to Robin. It’s been a challenge, :lol: This card definitely got me out of my comfort zones,

Awesome job and lots of interesting books.  Glad you enjoyed discovery new and different reads.  I'll send out your bingo prezzie soon!  Have you decided what name you want to use  for the mystery England read?  Brit Tripping or the Great Mysterious England road trip (or tour)?  Or something else altogether. Roaming the Roman Roads of England.  Grand Mystery U.K. book tour.   I  used the great mysterious one temporarily on the intro for now. 

Thank you Karen and Negin for all the wonderful links. Lots of interesting books to add to my stacks!  

I posted the 2018 intro and sign up thread on 52 Books blog for those who are interesting in posting links to your reviews!   In the linkbar are links for Bingo, monthly themes and other challenges.  

• Like 4

A currently free Kindle book ~

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

"A young Saxon knight proves his worth in Sir Walter Scott’s immortal classic blending history and romance

In the twelfth century, England is in ruins. The tension between the Saxons and Normans are at an all-time high. While King Richard the Lion Heart is away, his brother Prince John sits on the throne, allowing the Norman nobles to ravage the Saxon countryside further. There is no one to protect them. Their land is repossessed. They are made to flee into the forests as outlaws, leaving behind the stand-in king who has forsaken them.

Sir Wilfred of Ivanhoe, disowned by his father after pledging allegiance to King Richard, has returned from the Crusades eager to win the love of Lady Rowena. The young knight, eager to prove himself worthy of her affections, sets out to demonstrate his merit—fighting his enemies with aid from the likes of Robin Hood.

A classic of historical fiction, Sir Walter Scott’s masterpiece brims with romance, adventure, and action."

Also currently free ~

Christian romance: White Knight  by Staci Stallings

Historical Christian romance:  So Rare a Gift (Daughters of His Kingdom)  by Amber Lynn Perry

Contemporary romantic suspense:  Into the Shadows  by Carolyn Crane

Young adult:  City of Skies  by Farah Cook

Mystery/thriller:  Little Man  by Kent Sievers

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Kareni, I managed to track down Future Shock and another by Elizabeth Briggs. I also downloaded the freebie by that author. They look good.

I am concentrating on finding books to match British counties today. My search leads me to Kareni's Ivanhoe. Pretty sure it will work for both Yorkshire and Derbyshire if anyone wants to download it for Brit tripping. It was actually written very close to my house while Scott was living at The Boat Inn. A couple of links of possible interest.

http://www.conisbroughcastle.org.uk/ivanhoe-sir-walter-scotts-enduring-novel-featuring-conisbrough-castle.html

https://lovingthefiftysomething.com/2017/05/10/a-cheeky-little-canal-cruise-to-sprotbrough-and-relax/

• Like 4

Our Christmas Tree is decorated, gifts are arriving and waiting to be wrapped. Our contractor and his wife had a healthy 8 pound little boy on Thursday. Much to celebrate this year. 

What I found in my internet meanderings:  

Unbound Worlds - Gifts for the Geek: Our Holiday Gift picks.  I've added a few to my want list.  As well as 

Read it Forwards - 20 Bookish (non book) Gifts for Readers

BethFishReads -- Life as an audiobook junkie

Vampire Book Clubs - Best of 2017  More books to add to my want list. 

:ph34r:  :zombie:  :Angel_anim:

• Like 5

I finished two more audiobooks this weekend. 

Working Fire by Emily Bleeker  Emily's books are enjoyable.

Dangerous Waters by Toni Anderson  I am so glad this was a free Kindle Unlimited book. I feel bad leaving negative reviews but this book was not good. It wasn't awful (I give it 2 stars) but it wasn't good. This was the first book I have listened to in the Romantic Thriller genre and it may be my last. The premise of the book (RMCP Sargeant conducting her first murder investigation)  was great but the characterization was lacking and the romance sections were more juvenile and sophomoric than romantic; I actually paused the book to look up the author's bio to see how old she was. There was a lot of cursing that seemed out-of-place and somewhat forced - I couldn't tell if this was due to the writing or the audiobook reader - but it did nothing to further the storyline or characterization. Honestly, if I would have had time to download another book this morning, I would have. Lack of an internet connection was the only reason I slogged through this book.

• Like 5

Kareni, I managed to track down Future Shock and another by Elizabeth Briggs. I also downloaded the freebie by that author. They look good.

I am concentrating on finding books to match British counties today. My search leads me to Kareni's Ivanhoe. Pretty sure it will work for both Yorkshire and Derbyshire if anyone wants to download it for Brit tripping. It was actually written very close to my house while Scott was living at The Boat Inn. A couple of links of possible interest.

http://www.conisbroughcastle.org.uk/ivanhoe-sir-walter-scotts-enduring-novel-featuring-conisbrough-castle.html

https://lovingthefiftysomething.com/2017/05/10/a-cheeky-little-canal-cruise-to-sprotbrough-and-relax/

Great! I actually have Ivanhoe on our shelves. One of the many books we inherited from John's mom who grew up in Newmarket.

I'm misty eyed.  Just received a beautiful gift from mum in the mail.  Thank you again! 

25395824_1786210051389705_75995268642128

• Like 6

I'm misty eyed.  Just received a beautiful gift from mum in the mail.  Thank you again! 

What a lovely gift!  I'd be misty eyed, too.

Jenn, enjoy your son's visit from Japan along with the company of your oldest son and others.

I've been reading tidbits here and there as I've been busy with shopping, card writing, wrapping, and mailing as well as feeding a thread I started at the end of November.  For those who may have missed it, please take a look ~ 

Encountered a unique gift? Post it here.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I've been reading tidbits here and there as I've been busy with shopping, card writing, wrapping, and mailing as well as feeding a thread I started at the end of November.  For those who may have missed it, please take a look ~ 

Encountered a unique gift? Post it here.

Regards,

Kareni

I found the thread yesterday and have already added a few things for gifts to my shopping list.  Thank you so much!   

• Like 3

I found the thread yesterday and have already added a few things for gifts to my shopping list.  Thank you so much!   

You are quite welcome.  I have a lot of fun doing the thread and seeing what various people contribute.  There are some creative products out there.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Last night I finished reading Temporary  by Sarina Bowen and Sarah Mayberry which I enjoyed; it's a contemporary romance.  (Adult content)

"The most beautiful man I've ever seen is the same one who can ruin everything.

The first time I lay eyes on Callan Walker, I know he’ll be trouble. With his smug grin, hot Aussie accent and thousand dollar shoes, he’s just the kind of rich guy who always gets what he wants.

And he wants two things: a night of sin, and my cooperation as he outmaneuvers his powerful mother to take control of his uncle’s estate.

I can’t afford either one. I’m the only thing standing between my little sister and the foster care system. He may have money and charm on his side, but I have something even more powerful -- pure desperation. This temp job at his mother’s company can become a full time job for me. It has to.

But when Callan’s eyes rake over my body, sometimes I forget my obligations. His piercing gaze finds the fun, optimistic girl I used to be and not the tired person I’ve become.

And it works--if only for a moment. Our night together was a mistake. I can't afford to get sucked into his high-powered family’s treachery. But the closer I get to Callan, the more layers I find beneath those expensive clothes. Though I can’t forget this is temporary. He’s temporary. I have too much to lose.

Too bad my foolish heart didn’t get the memo..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

And some more bookish posts ~

I Loved These Books As a Teen — Do They Hold Up Now?  by Amber Troska

"I recently found myself combing through some boxes of old books and papers and came across a fascinating personal artifact. On the surface it’s a pretty unremarkable object, just a crumbling spiral-bound notebook covered in childish graffiti. But inside is over a decade of my life—a handwritten list of every book I read between 4th grade and college graduation. Looking through it was a bit like spelunking into the past, a unique look at the strata of different life stages, delineated by changes in handwriting and shifting interests like so many compressed layers of rock...."

Where Should You Start Reading The Chronicles of Narnia?  by Mari Ness

Fantasy Writers That Make Great Use of Haunted Rivers, an American Literary Tradition  by Katie Rask

Watch Your Ovens CAREFULLY, Everyone: The Gingerbread Boy  by Mari Ness

Regards,

Kareni

I think all the 'reasons' lists I've read on why you should start Narnia books here or there are clearly written by readers who love Narnia and can't imagine not reading the whole series -- thus they miss the primary reason IMO to start with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe..... if you are only going to read one book in the Narnia series (and then stop because you are not 'into' it),  it should be LW&W and NOT The Magician's Nephew.

OTOH, I agree with this writer's reasoning allowing the discovery to happen naturally.... similar to the reason why I made sure my older watched the original Star Wars trilogy FIRST -- to get that moment of shock in the 2nd film -- which is lost if you watch the 'new' first trilogy first.  (now for younger, she may never get that -- but mostly because she is all anti Star Wars for some unknown reason)

• Like 2

Great! I actually have Ivanhoe on our shelves. One of the many books we inherited from John's mom who grew up in Newmarket.

:001_wub:  :thumbup1: Lovely!!

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 3