Menu

Standardized Testing for Elementary

Does anyone have suggestions for standardized testing (early elementary age)?

Also, should I choose computerized testing or paper testing?

I am interested in -

• Quickest (duration)
  • Cheapest
  • Simplest (only math and language arts)

Our state requires standardized testing, so I'm just fulfilling a requirement.  I don't want a test that will take too much of our time because homeschooling is already busy.  

I used the SAT10 one year. I think it took a few days to do it - a little at a time. I tested him at home, and it's an untimed test (though that wouldn't have mattered for that child).

I've heard that the CAT is pretty easy, and it's commonly used by homeschoolers.

ITBS is another common one. It's timed, so probably not a good choice if you're child struggles with time during a test.

All of these can be administered on paper at home. I think the SAT10 can be administered on the computer at home as well. I don't know if the other two have a computer option.

I used BJU Testing to order my test. To administer yourself, they require a bachelor's degree and watching a 7 minute video online. Signing up to administer the test is free (you still have to pay for the test).

I just gave our 2nd grader the MAP test through affordabletests.com. It was $60 and it was an easy experience — choose the date/time and power up the iPad. We chose MAP only because that’s the test our school district administers, and I have to say the reporting left something to be desired. (Long report, few specific actionable.)

I just gave our 2nd grader the MAP test through affordabletests.com. It was $60 and it was an easy experience — choose the date/time and power up the iPad. We chose MAP only because that’s the test our school district administers, and I have to say the reporting left something to be desired. (Long report, few specific actionable.)

I found the report for our SAT10 pretty useless. I was glad that I looked over his answers before sending the test back for grading. I was able to see the things he had trouble with and the things he did right. He scored well across the board, but he did have some weaknesses that a score report wouldn't have told me anything about. But overall, the testing was useless and more just a good practice for taking a standardized test. :)

The funny part was that my son, who couldn't spell his way out of a paper bag at that point, scored very high on spelling. :lol: They only test the ability to recognize a misspelled word, NOT your ability to spell a word correctly in the first place. He's very good at spotting misspelled words and even correcting them in his own writing, but his first draft is always riddled with spelling errors, even in 8th grade.