Menu

How do you serve tea/coffee to a group of friends?

TheAttachedMama

For coffee, which most everyone around here drinks, I have a drip maker. Make a pot, put creamer and sugar by it for everyone to doctor their own to taste. If I have a large group over I usually also have iced tea (sweet) on hand.

If I know I have a fellow hot tea drinker, I'll makje a pot, probably with loose tea. My pot isn't too big. I serve it either in teacups that came with my vintage China, or various other mismatched teacups and coffee cups, which I collect. I offer lemon juice, milk, honey, and sugar, half and half if I have it for one friend who likes it. I rarely have a group that wants tea, but between myself and the good friend who is a tea drinker, we'll finish it. I also have a few bags of different flavors, so I offer those. I usually only do a whole pot of black.

if no one in my house drank coffee, I wouldn't buy it just for guests! Or anything else really.

Lots of people I know drink pop (soda, coke) but we rarely have it in the house. Sometimes I will buy it for the kids, or if we're having a big group over and I know some people will want it. But, mostly, we don't have any; I don't offer it, and of course no one asks. I would not expect anyone to keep something in the house they don't consume, just for guests.

Not related to this post: The "tea snobs" I know will not drink Lipton tea. Most drink Yorkshire or another British import. I know someone who will turn down tea if it's Lipton. :-)

I have British relatives who tell me that British tea, such as Twinings, in the U.S. Is not as fresh as the same brand in Britain.

My parents had express every night of their lives. I wanted tea. My mother would put a sneer on her face and say, 'You'll have to make it yourself. I don't want you upsetting the household routine.' Then periodically throughout the evening she would cross the cross-examine me as to whether I would be so rude as to ask for tea if I were in someone else's house. Ugh!

Somebody was rude, but it sure wasn't you.

Honey in tea?  I have never encountered this!

Really? Tea with honey and lemon was standard when I was a kid - milk and sugar was for coffee only.

I don't make a pot of tea that often these days. Generally I make tea in mugs for however many people want tea. I usually only have Yorkshire or one other brand that tastes very similar and I default to that. I might have some herbal in the house from time to time if people want that but the bags get old since they don't get used.

• Like 1