Menu

Equine Science

Does anyone have a recommendation for an Equine Science program for an upcoming 6th grader who spends her every spare moment at the horse barn where she takes riding lessons? She is learning a lot through hands on experience at the barn, but she has a desire to learn everything she can on the topic. I'd love to take advantage of that passion and try to center her science curriculum this year around her interests. She is a strong reader and has read a lot of the books on the market geared toward elementary and middle school aged kids, so she might be ready to move up to something more meaty and more science focused.

Also, I'm going to be completely transparent here and say that I'm not good at pulling things together on my own. So something with a schedule or a suggestion for a text with chapter questions and quizzes would be ideal.

Finally, I know that Winter Promise has a program, but I can't get a great feel for the quality of the content from their website. She's read most of the books that go with the program, so I'm wondering if buying the package would add much value to what she has picked up on her own reading of the books? I'd love to hear about your experience if you used this program.

I'm pretty sure Coursera has a course; I remember looking into it before. I googled high school equine science syllabus and this book came up a couple times: Ensminger’s Equine Science.

No personal experience with either.

I was not impressed with Winter Promise when I considered it previously.

In case it helps you decide:
13-minute video review of the Winter Promise Equine Science program
"I just got Equine Science from Winter Promise!" -- comments from WTMers who have used it
"WP Equine Science questions" -- some good tips if you buy the download version

equine science curriculum ideas:
4-H Curriculum: Horse -- gr. 3-12 materials
The Horse Course -- free; designed for high school, but I bet you could adapt to a 6th grade level
Beautiful Feet: History of the Horse -- gr. 5-8; literature/fiction
Currclick: OHC: Horses -- 100+ page unit study put together by a homeschool co-op
Amanda Bennett unit studies: Horses -- 4-week unit study

informational website:
EquiSearch: For People Who Love Horses

DIY -- make your own course:
Equine Science (Rick Parker) or Equine Science (Jean Griffiths)
Care and Feeding of Horses (Lon Lewis)
Pony Club Manual of Horsemanship -- recommended in this past thread: "Horse Anatomy, etc."
Illustrated Dictionary of Equine Terms 
Horse Anatomy Coloring Atlas or Horse Anatomy (Dover coloring book)

supplements:
math: Horse Lovers' Math
science: Horse Science Fair projects -- by grade level; list of ideas for projects or science experiments
general: IAITC Horse Lesson unit -- gr. 4-6; free pdf to go with this Ag Mag on Horses
general: Horses online magazine

lists of horse books just for reading:
Rantings of a Horse Mom blog -- book list by age range, from early reader through high school
Book Riot blog -- 15 equestrian books, range of ages, but mostly middle school-ish
From the Mixed Up Files blog -- 6 middle school horse books

and past threads with possibly more ideas:
"Equine Science texts/programs" -- for a 9th grader, but some discussion of Winter Promise's program

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

One of my students used WP's Equine Science course two years ago, and we found the program to be very thorough. The student owns and trains horses, which is why I chose this course for her. The recommendation is for grades 3-7, I think, but even though my student was an 11th grader at the time and already had a lot of experience with horses, she still learned quite a bit. She graduated from my program in May and is currently studying to become a horse therapist, working with injured animals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was going to suggest WinterPromise's Equine Science course too.  It is a very complete course.  I know they say it is for 3rd to 6th grade but I think anything less than 5th is probably a bit young for the course.  In my opinion you could even use this course as a high school course with just a touch of adjustment.

I ordered for my dd the 4H book series on Horses, and the new re-designed curriculum is amazing!  It is not too much, not too little, and parts of it can be very challenging.  The first book is about 3rd grade level and they go up very quickly.  By the third book they are drawing the digestive system, learning about colic, calculating the wieght of hte horse using a tape measure, and then calculating feeds and grains !! It has been such a great learning experience.  The new 4H books also have nice font sizes, readable text, a few full color pictures of kids and their horses, and leading questions that get kids to relate to the chapters by first asking about human health, or why humans brush their teeth, or why humans limit sugar intake etc.  It is extremely well done.

You will definitely need to utilize the internet.  4H has a really well done section that goes along with the books, and that your dd can work through all the lessons.  But for whatever reason my dd has preferred to go ahead and just research all over the internet.  Her computer has safe search and I've also taught her a lot about finding reputable sites, but she still brings some of them to me to check over first.  Wikipedia has a lot of horse information, too.

http://www.4-hmall.org/Product/horse/horse-curriculum-set-of-6/01523S.aspx

I will add, that my dd hates bookwork associated with her horse and wishes she could learn everythign by doing hands-on but it is just not possible and she has learned so much since I assigned these books. She also has the DK horse encyclopedia and has read several from the library.  We will keep the 4H books for reference :)

Just warning you that it was considered "work" for my dd, whereas reading the encyclopedia was not. 

Calming Tea~ Thanks for the recommendation. Is it best to start with the first book and work your way through them all? Or can you pick and choose based on interest?

ETA: I also saw these horse science books on the 4H site: http://www.4-hmall.org/Product/horse/horse-science-set-of-2/CO203.aspx Have you used either of these?

Edited by Country Girl
  • Like 1

Hi,

I think it's best to start with the first book, although books 2, 3 and 4 have the most "science"  Book 1 focuses on types of horses, basic things to do with ahorse, types of knots used, and basic health daily "overviews" aka when you first walk into your horse's stall, what to train your eye to look for.  Book 2 3 and 4 have a lot of Science to do with sickness, soundness, feeding, some riding, where they are kept, etc.  Book 5 is all about riding and sort of an after-you-learn it to get it checked off for a Pin, more than learning a whole lot (although you could, but you'd learn a lot more, actually riding.)  :)

I would say if you are on a budget and/or concenred about your dd getting too bored, books 2, 3 and 4 are the most worthwhile.

The other two books with the green covers have some overlap.  They cover a little more science and a little less riding but they get REALLY in depth with the science and health, would be useful if you don't board your horse and you want to do as much of the home-care and communication with the vet as possible, or if your dd wants to be in a quiz bowl for 4H or Pony Club :)  Font is very ugly and books are not as "pleasant" so I would say order the above 3, and if and when she finishes them, then order the other two as a follow up if she's very serious about the science / or Quiz Bowl/ Hippology aspect behind the horse.