Menu

History With No Library Access- Suggestions Please!

We live overseas without access to a library.  When we followed WTM suggestions for logic-stage history while living in the US, we made great use of our local library.  Any suggestions for good supplemental resources for additional reading/research?  Good quality websites?  I'm willing to purchase a few additional books, but can't afford too many more.  My twins will be in 8th grade doing Modern Stage History.  Thanks.

BBC documentaries have been helpful for us. Right now we're working our way through their Cold War series. I've learned so much this way. I like how they interview people from all angles, like Fidel Castro and one of JFK's advisors or Stalin's advisors. You can probably find documentaries for other eras as well that would suit you.

I've seriously wondered if the public school system would be better off switching entirely from text books to documentaries for history curriculum. The dc would probably retain for more information. If the contrasting theories and idea were presented then there would be plenty of fodder for essays.

• Like 2

Has the Stanford program been okay to use with a single child?  I wonder if the lack of discussion would weaken the curriculum in any way?

Thanks!

I used it with just one student at a time; it went very well.  He had his opinions, and we discussed together.  I stuck to the teacher's notes most of the time.   Sometimes having just one student was an advantage--he *had* to have an opinion and think it through for himself--he couldn't tune out and  just go with "what __  said."

• Like 2

I used it with just one student at a time; it went very well.  He had his opinions, and we discussed together.  I stuck to the teacher's notes most of the time.   Sometimes having just one student was an advantage--he *had* to have an opinion and think it through for himself--he couldn't tune out and  just go with "what __  said."

Thanks Zoo Keeper.  My daughter does always have an opinion and I think it will be interesting to go through this with her.  It definitely will be a good experience for me as well!

• Like 1

Google has a database of newspapers that stretch back to colonial times.  It is a fantastic resource for researching significant stories in history and comparing viewpoints.  Like, if you want to see how different areas of the country covered civil rights campaigns or WWI, you can. 

We also used lettersofnote.com  You can search by time period, involved people, or topic.  It is a site where I would pre-read, because many of the letters were intended for private correspondence and a small few don't tame their language.

Between those and Reading Like A Historian you should be able to put together a very nice program!

• Like 1

Google has a database of newspapers that stretch back to colonial times. It is a fantastic resource for researching significant stories in history and comparing viewpoints. Like, if you want to see how different areas of the country covered civil rights campaigns or WWI, you can.

We also used lettersofnote.com You can search by time period, involved people, or topic. It is a site where I would pre-read, because many of the letters were intended for private correspondence and a small few don't tame their language.

Between those and Reading Like A Historian you should be able to put together a very nice program!

Hi there. Do you have a link to the Google database of newspapers?