Menu

PSA: Use Facebook and Twitter for Customer Service requests

Lanny

I turned on the TV about 558 P.M., EDT, to watch the 6 P.M. news from the states. Hmmm.  The Decoder Box for the TV then did a Firmware Upgrade.  After that finished, I could not get to the channel I want to watch. I could only see my channel, in a small box in the upper right hand corner of the screen.  My wife (the Queen of Remote Controls) came in and she couldn't get it to work either. She found that it was also on other channels, not just my favorite channel.  I turned off the TV and thought about calling Tech Support, but then I thought, "I contacted them once, via Facebook, and they helped me".  So, I sent them a message on Facebook, and after that I sent them a Tweet on Twitter. Someone answered my Tweet about 70 or 80 minutes after I sent it.  I am moving into the 21st century. 

I hope they did not drop my favorite channel, but if they did, that will give us another reason to migrate to the new provider that just installed Brand New Fiber Optic infrastructure in our huge rural subdivision.

• Like 1

I've found this varies. 

We had a few customer service complaints recently, with vendors/stores (not companies we have contracted service with), and for one of them, yes, the social media contact got the right folks involved so that we were able to reach satisfactory resolution. 

For the other, I ended up finding the direct phone number to various high level management (CEO and assorted VPs) which is what finally got me connected to someone who would resolve the situation rather than ignore it; that was after multiple attempts via their social media, which were handled rather horribly. 

In general, I do start with the customer service number &/or email contact, though, and at least give them the chance to respond appropriately in private before I make it all public. 

• Like 2

I just called the phone company and spoke with someone in their TV department.  They took away my favorite channel (actually the only channel I watch) and put it into a more expensive plan.

My wife checked a few other channels last night and I think they did the same with those channels as with my channel.  I'd told my wife, if this was intentional, that simply gives us one more reason to sign up for service with the new company that just installed their Fiber Optic Infrastructure in our huge rural subdivision. They plan to begin installations here on April 18th.  I would prefer not to be the first house where they install it, since this is brand-new-technology in our part of Colombia. I have some "pre-sale" questions I want the Saleswoman to get answers for and hopefully we will sign up with them next week.  What I experienced last night was not a problem with the Firmware Upgrade of the Settop box, it was a deliberate change the phone company made.

I got $4000 off of the price of our minivan from a no haggle dealership because I complained about my experience certificate there via their Facebook page. One of their salesman was quite unprofessional. They didn't seem to care when I complained in person but when I posted what happened on their social media page that got their attention. Essentially, they took a lose on the car in order to get that complaint removed.

• Like 1