Menu

Science curriculum for co-op

Licadee

I helped start a co-op last fall and since I have science degrees (rusty...have been a SAHM for the past 7 years) the other ladies on the board would love me to teach some science classes. I started looking into possible curriculums but wanted to see if anyone might have any direction for me. The classes are 55min long. I could break the classes up in to whatever age range I want but was thinking PreK-1st, 2nd-5th and 6-8th. We don't have many high schoolers yet but I might offer a HS class and see if more families join the co-op for the class.

So far I have briefly looked into: GEMS, BFSU, Janice VanCleave, Jeannie Fulbright/Apologia. Are there any I'm missing? Is there a blog post somewhere out there comparing these?

Extra points for whichever curriculum has a Charlotte Mason twist.

Thanks!!!

Ours usually does some form of Apologia for middle school and up. They generally do the labs at co-op. Teacher sends home a schedule for each semester so that at home the kids know what to read and do for the week.  They do discussion, review of vocab and such in class time too.  The high schoolers actually get 2 class periods for their classes. One for teaching and discussion, one for labs. 

I did Mystery Science for a co-op.   I started with something else.  Then about the time that I lost that book, I got the introductory membership to Mystery Science.  I kept the Raising Butterflies segment I'd already planned, and did Mystery Science for the rest.   It was a real hit.  It is videos with planned stops for questions and then experiments.   I always got some books at the library because I never could tell how long things would take.  Even though each lesson is designed for a classroom time period.  

• Like 1

http://store.aimsedu.org

I used to love using AIMS materials when I taught at a private school. If I was creating my own curriculum, this is where I would start.

It looks like all of the materials are only digital downloads now. These are some of the few "teacher" books that I will keep forever, and my kids will have to figure out what to do with them when I am dead.