What's with the ads?

#1 charlotteb

charlotteb

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Has anyone ever spaced saxon algebra I and II over 3 years? Im thinking about doing it for younger DD. It seems logical to me, especially since geometry is intertwined with it. So it really gives 3 credits. She could really benefit from a slower pace because of some learning gaps. Im just wondering what schedule I could use and if anyone has done it before? Thanks.

#2 freesia

freesia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2933 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

Well,  a lot of the geometry is in the first part of Advanced math.  Maybe do the 2 books and the first 30 lessons of Advanced math.  That would be 3 credits worth.  It also leaves less of Advanced Math which is a dense book.

• charlotteb and OnMyOwn like this

#3 Mona

Mona

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

I haven't done it, but I think there is certainly room to do that. The geometry credit comes from doing 2nd or 3rd edition Saxon algebra 2 book with the first 60 lessons of the Advanced Math book. This can be titled "Geometry with Advanced Algebra". If you get to lesson 90 of the advanced math book, you can also count 0.5 credit for trigonometry. 

• charlotteb likes this

#4 foofoobunny

foofoobunny

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Saxon Algebra 1, Saxon Algebra 2, and the first 60 lessons of Saxon Advanced Math = 

1 credit Algebra 1

1 credit Algebra 2

1 credit Geometry with Advanced Algebra

My daughter started and completed Saxon Algebra 1 in 8th grade.  We reviewed the last half of Algebra 1 (lessons 60+) the first part of 9th grade because I felt that she didn't grasp it well enough.  We are in Algebra 2 right now.  We are taking 2 days for each lesson.  We go over the lesson the first day and she does the even problems.  We go over the lesson again the next day and she does the odd problems.  So, yes, we are doing Algebra 1 & 2 in 3 years.

Edited by foofoobunny, 20 March 2017 - 11:36 AM.

• charlotteb likes this

#5 Calming Tea

Calming Tea

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5704 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

Saxon Algebra 1 does NOT have your GEometry credit.  IT DOES NOT contain enough Geometry to have any high school Geometry Credit.

Saxon Algebra 2 and Advanced Math are the Saxons that contain a full Geometry credit between them.

But if your dd needs a slower pace, then you can go for it anyway.  

#6 kiana

kiana

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7230 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

It isn't unusual and used to be more common for PS to have an Algebra 1a and 1b class which covered algebra 1 over 2 years. So one logical way to transcript it would be to do algebra 1a, 1b, 2, geometry (doing the first half of adv math as a senior). The (ps) transcripts I evaluated gave a credit each for algebra 1a and 1b. And I wouldn't worry about making the books precisely match up, just take 4 years to get through all 3. I wouldn't take time off math though (and start in the fall halfway through a book), but rather do something like work year-round doing 1/2 lesson per day. 

edit: corrected transposition of numbers

Edited by kiana, 21 March 2017 - 07:44 AM.

#7 G5052

G5052

Retired Homeschool Mom -- they're in college!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9198 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

My oldest took 24 months to complete Algebra I and II, and then the same amount of time for Advanced Math. We did math year-round. Mean mom, I know, but I'm a STEM professor and know that math is important. He needed to spread it out for mastery.

He did beautifully on the math portion of the PSAT/SAT and is pursuing a math-oriented business degree.

I agree that you can't award geometry credit for the Algebra I and II books. Here's what I put on his transcript for high school:

Algebra I

Algebra II

Geometry with Advanced Algebra

Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus

• Calming Tea and foofoobunny like this