Menu

What garden plants have impressed your neighbors?

treestarfae

I have antique roses that used to be breathtaking in the spring. AWESOME--lush, colorful, and huge...unfortunately I've lost several in the past three years due to rose rosette disease. Deep sigh. I hope they find a cure or treatment for it before we lose all our great roses.

• Like 1

Any impressive plants I have have absolutely nothing to do with me. They bloom despite me, I guess. To that end,'old country roses like Ispahan, John Cabott, Barone Prevost (this is my entirely beloved which died to the ground winter before last and seems to want to return from the dead). I'm a very neglectful rose mom but they don't need me :)

Edited by madteaparty

The hostas we had at an old house. We had to move them from one yard to another, and DH's boss's wife took that to mean we were getting rid of them. I came out one morning to find her literally with a spade in her hands digging them up!! And I was such a newb, I actually let her take one home.

I had beautiful lilies at another house, which I (freely) gave to my mom. They were beautiful!!

A rose bush that I picked up at end of season for a couple of bucks. I drove past that house this summer. And it was still beautiful!

I think (hope!) for this house it will be the strawberry plants. Although we planted 5 tomato plants in June and we have more tomatoes than we know what to do with. We were supposed to just get a few!!

We have an amazing clematis vine. And lupines. Oh, and a plant from Germany that you pick before flowering to make a champagne punch - it's a groundcover under our trees. Our tulips get lots of comments, as do the irises.

We have way too many black eyed susans though, and DH desperately wants to rehome them. The name makes him uncomfortable.

I'm partial to the hostas and rhododendron. :)

Oddly enough, the thing that people find most impressive is the wind break planting.  We took advice and dug out the wall of conifers that just caused the wind to bounce over the top, hitting the garden hard and taking slates off the roof.  We put in native deciduous planting (birch, rowan, wild roses, Guelder rose, hawthorn) that reduces the wind speed without forming a wall: we sit out to eat quite happily through the summer with only the lightest of breezes hitting us, despite the prevailing wind roaring all around.  And we no longer lose slates from the roof.

• Like 1

I have a really happy delphinium that normally stands over 7 feet tall when in bloom. Right now it's blooming for the second time this year (third if you count Christmas 2015). I bought it in a pack of four from someone in the local horticultural society at a plant show years ago. I have one of the other pack mates left, three to four feet in bloom. I joke that it thrives because I planted in front of a high window that pushes outward never expecting it to block the window.