Menu

If you enrolled your child in brick & mortar in high school. . .

This is what I know for sure for if my kids return to B&M high school for 9th grade

Public - nothing needed other than proof of residency and immunization records. No transcripts or test scores needed. Placement tests were administered. My friend's just relocated over summer and the admin did not ask for any transcript as her oldest is entering 9th grade.

Private - transcript for 8th grade, any standardized test scores we may have. There are entrance test (ISEE or SSAT) and subject placement tests to sit for. If my kids have ACT or SAT scores, entrance test is waived.

I asked about books list for literature and writing samples but they are going to test anyway for English and world language, while everyone start at the same place for literature and history.

Public - it may depend on the school.  I think around here the most they'd want is a "transcript," using that term loosely as a list of courses, not necessarily even including grades if you are talking about the 8th grade level.  Call the school's registrar and ask.  I suspect the requirement may be hugely different for a student already in high school.

Private - that's a whole other ball game and depends on the school.  My dd's private high school looks at grades from 7th and the first half of 8th, 7th grade standardized test scores when possible, admissions test scores (HSPT), and recommendations from 8th grade English and math teachers and a counselor form.

Keep in mind that placement in foreign language and math courses is usually by placement test, often a full test per level (e.g. alg 1, geometry, etc.).  Some do placement tests in April for a fall start, some do them in August.

It's 10th grade, public. I have a transcript and full course descriptions. They want me to bring in all his books and his papers. I guess I'm surprised as both my other kids have been accepted into colleges with strictly the transcript. Hadn't heard of anyone being asked to do this but then I don't know any ex- homeschoolers in this particular school.

It's 10th grade, public. I have a transcript and full course descriptions. They want me to bring in all his books and his papers. I guess I'm surprised as both my other kids have been accepted into colleges with strictly the transcript. Hadn't heard of anyone being asked to do this but then I don't know any ex- homeschoolers in this particular school.

You're being asked to do this because you want them to give credit for 9th grade. Many schools won't do that at all. Some do it with just a transcript. Here, in order for high school credit to be given for homeschool work, the district asks for just what yours did: to see the books, tests, and work samples to prove that the child actually completed enough work that the school will give credit. Kids are also required to take End of Course exams in subjects like Algebra where EOCs are required by the state. If they don't pass the EOC, they still don't get credit.

Most districts will admit on just a transcript in 9th, but not in 10th. I'd consider yourself lucky your district will accept homeschool credits even with hoop jumping. From the discussions I've seen on the high school board, at least half won't.

• Like 9

Public, 9th grade - they needed nothing but my word, but then again, I work there so they know me.  ;)

Actually, he did need to complete an essay to get into our Top 9th grade English class, but so did all ps 8th graders who wanted in, so that wasn't anything different because he was homeschooled.

In our district one can't transfer any hs credits to ps unless they are from an accredited institution, so it wouldn't have mattered what was on a transcript.  My guy did Alg 1 in 8th, but didn't get credit for it.  That also matches ps students though.  Many take Alg 1 in 8th grade and it doesn't count for credit because only classes taken in 9-12 count for credit.  However, even if my Top 1% ACT taker had wanted to start going to ps in 11th or 12th grade, he'd have no credits toward high school graduation.  He'd have had to take 9th grade English and Geometry and Bio and all sorts of things he'd have already had.  They make it known here that if you start homeschooling 9th grade, you're in it for the long haul.

• Like 1

YMMV, but I contacted the high school prior to starting my son's 8th-grade year because he is studying two subjects at the high school level: Algebra I and Spanish I.  To ensure ease of credit transfer, he is enrolled in an accredited university distance learning high school program for these two classes.  He also needs to complete the EOC test this coming Spring.  He's not happy about the curriculum as he is a fan of AoPS. But I didn't want to risk the school saying no to awarding credit, so we are doing it their way - a life lesson for sure. BTW - he should finish the Algebra I course in just a few months as the work is self-paced (he has already finished 1/4 of it in just 3 weeks), so he can return to his precious AoPS afterward. 

YMMV, but I contacted the high school prior to starting my son's 8th-grade year because he is studying two subjects at the high school level: Algebra I and Spanish I. To ensure ease of credit transfer, he is enrolled in an accredited university distance learning high school program for these two classes. He also needs to complete the EOC test this coming Spring. He's not happy about the curriculum as he is a fan of AoPS. But I didn't want to risk the school saying no to awarding credit, so we are doing it their way - a life lesson for sure. BTW - he should finish the Algebra I course in just a few months as the work is self-paced (he has already finished 1/4 of it in just 3 weeks), so he can return to his precious AoPS afterward.

I thought AOPS online classes were now accredited? I'll have to check again once I have had some coffee.

I thought AOPS online classes were now accredited? I'll have to check again once I have had some coffee.

You are right. AoPS online classes are accredited. But, my son would crumble under the strain of completing the course under their timeline (16 weeks!)- even with the extended class (22 weeks). He needs a more relaxed pacing, such as the 32 weeks of WTM. He did fine with Pre A last year with our customized pacing (Chapter 2 was a bear!). 

AoSP class are accredited but UC (California) only accepts the classes that started after April 1st, 2016 for a-g requirements.

My district would be utterly confused by any transcript not by an in state B&M school or in state online public charter. They would already be confused by an out of state student that just relocated but would try to match NY algebra 1 with CA algebra 1. That is why my friend's 6th and 9th grader recently sat for placement tests before school started.

ETA:

Know your state education laws and advocate when necessary. Sometimes even calling up the state's education dept to clarify.

Edited by Arcadia

Our public high school will enroll a 9th grader with only a transcript and test scores.

For 10th graders, they would require you to bring in all books and papers to determine whether they are willing to grant credit for high school courses done while homeschooling. If you want credit for a class with an end-of-course exam, then you have to pass the exam. If you want credit for foreign language, then you must take a placement exam and place into the class you are wanting to go into. If they grant credit, then it will be listed on the transcript as pass/fail with a little note that the class was not taken in our school district.

• Like 1