Menu

if you heard a primal scream....(re: luggage size limits)

SparklyUnicorn

Ahh

I got it.

We travel with our family of 7 with 4 carry on suitcases for clothes for up to 3 weeks.  Although we do bring 6 backpacks too.  This got me thinking maybe we could cut out the some of the backpacks.  Although we usually have food for the flight in everyone's bags.

Hmm

Right, but a lot of these airlines for International are not allowing those carry on suitcases anymore or are charging a lot extra.  So definitely check that ahead.

Which I get.  Those suitcases really do not fit anywhere.  BTDT.  They used to allow fairly large ones onboard, but again, not very practical.  Once I basically couldn't get it anywhere except under my feet.  It would not fit under the seat.  I'm short so that's not a huge deal, but then who really wants to sit for hours scrunched up?

• Like 1

Also... I've traveled a ton and I don't recall my carry ons ever being checked for exact dimensions. Obviously taking a full sized suitcase would raise flags, but I doubt an inch is going to.

I don't even want to risk it because to go from 17 inches to 22 inches they want something like $40 per bag per trip (so $80).  If they stand to make that kind of money on it,  I'm not going to assume they won't check.

• Like 1

Right, but a lot of these airlines for International are not allowing those carry on suitcases anymore or are charging a lot extra.  So definitely check that ahead.

Which I get.  Those suitcases really do not fit anywhere.  BTDT.  They used to allow fairly large ones onboard, but again, not very practical.  Once I basically couldn't get it anywhere except under my feet.  It would not fit under the seat.  I'm short so that's not a huge deal, but then who really wants to sit for hours scrunched up?

Which airline are you flying?  Thank you for posting this because I will for sure check now just to make sure.  Although we can check 7 bags for free so it isn't that big of a deal.  

Our suitcases fit in the overhead bins.  But the last few vacations they have let us gate check them for free.  Which is so nice. 

I realize this idea is too late for OP's trip, but I wonder what the tradeoff would be between (a) cost of new luggage and/or luggage fees and (b) cost of new, travel, lightweight clothing that dries quickly.   Because you're right ... jeans take up a ton of space AND take forever to dry.

Just some unsolicited food for thought ....  :P 

• Like 2

This is the bag I've been using for several years:

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/travel-bags/products/tri-star?variant=16396837383

There is a cool video at the end of all the pictures that shows a business traveler packing up and how much can actually fit in the suitcase.

I have personally fit:

2 pairs jeans

1 set merino wool long underwear

Lightweight raincoat

6 tops - 2 long sleeved

1 set Pajamas

Socks/underwear for a week

Extra pair of shoes

Scarf

Blow dryer

iPad and charger

Small make-up bag with minimal makeup and jewelry

Quart sized bag of toiletries

Book to read and travel guide

On the plane I wear a fleece zip-up, third pair of jeans, and my largest pair of shoes.

Then in my purse I kept:

Passports

Small wallet

Camera

iPhone

Extra cell phone

GPS unit

My kids' iPods

Pen and small notebook

Pair of gloves

Snack bars

It also has a side pocket that fits a bottle of water

I like traveling with jeans because you can get a lot of wears out of them before washing, and they go with just about anything. I will wear the heaviest pair and pack the lighter/thinner ones. The only downside is that they can't be washed in the sink and air dried very quickly, so I wait until we have a washer/dryer available to wash them.

• Like 1

Which airline are you flying?  Thank you for posting this because I will for sure check now just to make sure.  Although we can check 7 bags for free so it isn't that big of a deal.  

Our suitcases fit in the overhead bins.  But the last few vacations they have let us gate check them for free.  Which is so nice. 

It's an Icelandic airline. WOW air

There are websites out there that list several airlines and their restrictions altogether (good for comparing).

• Like 1

I realize this idea is too late for OP's trip, but I wonder what the tradeoff would be between (a) cost of new luggage and/or luggage fees and (b) cost of new, travel, lightweight clothing that dries quickly.   Because you're right ... jeans take up a ton of space AND take forever to dry.

Just some unsolicited food for thought ....   :p

Oh we considered that.  It was cheaper to buy new bags than to pay the fees for larger carry on bags. 

Clothing, well there is nothing I can do to make our clothing smaller and less wrinkle free so no I'm not going to go out and buy new clothing. 

• Like 1

I purchase that wrinkle free travel clothing.  2 pair pants, 4 shirts, 1 short, 1 skirt, 2 pair shoes.   The wrinkle free stuff washes easily in the sink and dries within a couple of hours. 

We are staying with family members so no need to wash stuff in sinks.  My MIL will make sure it is wrinkled though.  This is a person who irons towels. 

To give you an idea about my MIL...she knows I don't iron.  To her that's an aberration and cardinal sin.  So she will show me I must iron by taking our clothing out of the dryer and balling it up and shoving it into a laundry basket and then presenting it to me...look look how wrinkled this stuff is.  You cannot go out in public like this.  Which is bologna.  If I hang stuff up or fold it right out of the dryer, none of it is wrinkled. 

When she visited and my BIL visited, I did their laundry and took stuff out and hung it up or folded it immediately.  They both thanked me for washing and ironing their clothing.  I didn't iron any clothing.  It wasn't wrinkled! 

• Like 1

To give you an idea about my MIL...she knows I don't iron. To her that's an aberration and cardinal sin. So she will show me I must iron by taking our clothing out of the dryer and balling it up and shoving it into a laundry basket and then presenting it to me...look look how wrinkled this stuff is. You cannot go out in public like this. Which is bologna. If I hang stuff up or fold it right out of the dryer, none of it is wrinkled.

When she visited and my BIL visited, I did their laundry and took stuff out and hung it up or folded it immediately. They both thanked me for washing and ironing their clothing. I didn't iron any clothing. It wasn't wrinkled!

Can you beat her to the dryer? :D

Can you beat her to the dryer? :D

No she usually goes through my stuff and washes it without asking me.  Once had a watch in my pocket that I didn't take out because I planned to wear the pants again.  She just threw it in the wash and ruined my watch.  Luckily it was a cheap watch, but at no point did she think that was her fault.  :glare:

My FIL used to tell her to knock it off when she got really ridiculous (all of that doesn't register as ridiculous).  Now he is gone so this will be "interesting". 

No just the airport.  Too bad because I would have liked to. 

We are flying to Europe next month on Iceland Air (haven't heard of WOW). I chose them because not only were they cheaper than most of the major airlines, they allow a stopover of up to a week in Iceland on the way back for no extra charge. Iceland has been on my bucket list forever, so we are going to spend a few days there on the way back. (FWIW their carryon size limit is 21.5")

Two things you might want to be aware of regarding changing planes in Iceland: Apparently passengers walk onto the tarmac and board by stairs, and it's often cold and raining (even in summer), so you might want to keep jackets with you. Also, I've read that flights are often very delayed and that they sometimes leave luggage sitting outside in the rain for hours, so if your suitcase ends up on top of the pile, everything in it will be soaked straight through. If your checked bags aren't hardsided (or otherwise waterproof) you might want to line them with plastic trash bags or something, just in case they end up sitting in the rain for a while.

• Like 1

We are flying to Europe next month on Iceland Air (haven't heard of WOW). I chose them because not only were they cheaper than most of the major airlines, they allow a stopover of up to a week in Iceland on the way back for no extra charge. Iceland has been on my bucket list forever, so we are going to spend a few days there on the way back. (FWIW their carryon size limit is 21.5")

Two things you might want to be aware of regarding changing planes in Iceland: Apparently passengers walk onto the tarmac and board by stairs, and it's often cold and raining (even in summer), so you might want to keep jackets with you. Also, I've read that flights are often very delayed and that they sometimes leave luggage sitting outside in the rain for hours, so if your suitcase ends up on top of the pile, everything in it will be soaked straight through. If your checked bags aren't hardsided (or otherwise waterproof) you might want to line them with plastic trash bags or something, just in case they end up sitting in the rain for a while.

oh that is so cool.  I'll have to consider that next time.

Thanks for the heads up about the rest of it! 

I suspect that how strict the airlines are, with carry on and checked  baggage, depends upon the route and upon the competition.  Thankfully, we haven't run into that here, although I keep my fingers crossed (and pray) when I walk up with my laptop bag and my carry on bag.  I'm always prepared to gate check the carry on, if necessary, but so far it has not been necessary.  

When I was very young, I worked for an airline that did not paint their aircraft.  That was in the days of the Boeing 707 and Boeing 727.  The paint added several hundred pounds of weight to the aircraft. So the paint increased fuel consumption, in addition to the cost of painting and repainting aircraft.

If an aircraft has 200 or 300 passengers and each one of them has one pound less of baggage, that adds up.  Not for just one flight, but for hundreds or thousands of flights, there is a cost savings to the airline. And, depending upon how the airline configures the cabin, when they place the order for aircraft, there can be spacious overhead bins (the one I remember the most was on an American Airlines Airbus that Delta put us on, from Bogota to Miami, because they didn't have an aircraft to run the Bogota to Atlanta flight that day).  DD was almost 6 months old and the folding stroller thing we had to put her car seat onto fit into the overhead bin.  I was amazed...

OP enjoy your trip!

• Like 1