Menu

Washing machine that is not a Speed Queen, but works really well-- suggestions?

Shellydon

We are in need of a new washer.  My 7 year old front loader reeks. Nothing will get rid of the smell and I am tired of stink clothes.  I'd love a Speed Queen, but we must use a high efficiency due to water prices here.   Our monthly water bill is $85 each month if we only use 7000 gallons per month, a tall order for a large family.  If we go over, the rates go.  10,000 gallons runs about $130 per month.    SO--- Speed Queen is out as they use a lot of water.  I think a top loader is the best bet and would like one that actually makes clothes come out clean and smelling fresh. Ideas?

• Like 1

Check out Appliance411 to get info on who makes what (hint: almost all of them are made by whirlpool, even when they are labeled something else).  Personally, I've been happy enough with my "Roper" (made by whirlpool) that was a bottom of the line $300 machine from Lowes.  It's got an agitator and it runs, so clothes come clean.  Non agitator washing machines just don't seem to do as good a job.  I can't say that it uses "less" water, but you can adjust the water level.

I'm not sure how much water it uses, but the SQ does have an Eco mode. Maybe someone could speak to that.

As for HEs- my previous three, two of which were top loads, all stunk after a few weeks if I didn't run Afresh or bleach through them monthly. My personal theory is that is has more to do with the HE soap and the low water than anything else.

I run bleach through mine weekly now, and it still smells terrible.

Yeah, I've had REALLY bad luck with HEs. I mean really bad. I stared a thread here a couple of months ago out of desperation and that's what led me to SQ. I'm not sure if this helps, but compared to my HE my SQ loads run in 1/3 of the time. So it might be more water, but it's less electricity for sure. Instead of washing for three days I get it all done in one now. You can select load sizes and water levels if that helps. I'm not trying to force SQ on you though. But you definitely don't want my advice on HE unless to cross things off your list which would be Cabrio, Neptune, and Kenmore. :)

Yeah, I've had REALLY bad luck with HEs. I mean really bad. I stared a thread here a couple of months ago out of desperation and that's what led me to SQ. I'm not sure if this helps, but compared to my HE my SQ loads run in 1/3 of the time. So it might be more water, but it's less electricity for sure. Instead of washing for three days I get it all done in one now. You can select load sizes and water levels if that helps. I'm not trying to force SQ on you though. But you definitely don't want my advice on HE unless to cross things off your list which would be Cabrio, Neptune, and Kenmore. :)

I would love a Speed Queen, but it would be $50 to $75 month in water.  It use 28-30 gallons per load vs. 13-15 of an HE.  Sigh.

During November 2015, my wife purchased a Samsung Top Loading Washing Machine. I believe the capacity is 14 or 15 kilos.  She is extremely happy with the Samsung machine. It replaced our previous machine, a Whirlpool Top Loader (with the agitator), which worked very hard, for nearly 21 years, before being Retired and given a place of honor in our Laundry Room.  GL with whatever you decide to buy!

My LG top loader HE doesn't suck. I don't love it, but it doesn't suck. It just takes forever. And with our hard water issues I'd REALLY like one that uses more water. It sucks for cloth diapers, for instance. But for everyday clothes it seems to work fine. I've had it about 2 yrs now. 

I have a cheap Samsung HE top loader and it's ok, but not nearly as wonderful as my Whirlpool Duet, which lasted 14 years before keeling over. 

One thing I've noticed between the front loader and the top loader is that the top loader doesn't wash pet fur out; it just makes fur balls. My front loader never did that. 

When I move, I plan to buy another Duet set.

I've been happy with our LG FL and my parents have been happy with theirs. The only thing I haven't liked is doing cloth diapers in it, like pp mentioned and leaving the door open on it when it isn't in use so it doesn't stink is a pain. Ours is almost 8 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk