Menu

To be fair, Obama has not gone out of his way to proved more than just a doctor's undated note.

Well, I think this is fairly significant! I just assumed that Obama had fully released all of his health records in their entirety, the way some people were speaking in this thread about McCain. So based on what I just read in a google search, McCain has actually released *more* of his health records than Obama has??

If this is the case, does that change anything for those of you who suspect something fishy about McCain not releasing more of his health records? Were you aware that Obama has released less? :confused:

Erica

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senator Barack Obama, 46, was in “excellent health†at the time of his last examination more than a year ago and has no known medical problems that would affect his ability to serve as president, according to a letter by his physician released on Thursday.

The letter is the first publicly released information about Mr. Obama’s medical history or current condition. The six-paragraph, one-page statement summarized the senator’s health for the last 21 years and was signed by Dr. David L. Scheiner, who said he has been Mr. Obama’s primary care physician since March 23, 1987.

The undated letter was released less than a week after Senator John McCain of Arizona, the presumptive Republican nominee, released his medical records.

On May 23, Mr. McCain, who has had extensive surgery for a malignant melanoma on his face, allowed a small number of reporters to sift through more than 1,100 pages of records from the Mayo Clinic for three hours. His doctors answered a limited number of questions in a teleconference in which they said his health was robust.

A spokesman for Mr. Obama said his campaign would not make Dr. Scheiner available for a telephone interview. Aides have said Mr. Obama’s medical record is thin because he has not had any serious health problems.

Dr. Scheiner wrote that he last examined Mr. Obama on Jan. 15, 2007. That was one day before Mr. Obama created a presidential exploratory committee.

More at the link: NY Times

He does look nice at debates. Of course, his makeup costs $5000

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/24/mccains-5000-makeup-will_n_128973.html

Cancer survivors and even those currently battling cancer shouldn't be punished for their illness. The way Mrs. Edwards (John's wife) was treated in the media and by many Republicans was disgraceful. Having a medical condition should not mean the end of your life or political career.

I will say that my parents do think age matters (they are 80 and 81) and will not be voting for McCain since the Palin pick. For me, it was a non-issue anyway since I'm voting Obama.

So is their vote about age or about Palin?

I'd like to point out that the Huffington Post article links back to Us Magazine. Now, I realize that the National Enquirer is the one that broke the story about Edwards' recent affair so we can't dismiss celebrity tabloids out of hand, but, I will wait for a more complete report from a few other sources. I'd like to know if $5000 is for the artist to travel with him to locations and includes the cost of make-up or if it is actually $5000 for just make-up as you suggest. I'd also like to know what the typical cost of a make-up artist is for politicians.

Well, I think this is fairly significant! I just assumed that Obama had fully released all of his health records in their entirety, the way some people were speaking in this thread about McCain. So based on what I just read in a google search, McCain has actually released *more* of his health records than Obama has??

If this is the case, does that change anything for those of you who suspect something fishy about McCain not releasing more of his health records? Were you aware that Obama has released less? :confused:

Erica

I think it's unlikely that McCain's hiding anything. My guess is that he hasn't released the records because it would mean the press spending days pouring over them and writing about anything vaguely interesting in them. And when you're a 72 year old candidate for president (particularly when your opponent is 47), you never want your health to be the story. I don't think Obama's hiding anything either. There hasn't really been much of a call for him to release his records, so he hasn't needed to. Really, I'm surprised it's not considered mandatory for all the candidates to release their records after what happened with President Bartlet. Oh, wait...I guess that was just on TV.

Incidentally, I wonder if the constant campaigning for the past 20 months or so has had any effect on Obama's freakishly good blood pressure.

Have I mentioned my Obama vs. McCain equals Howie Kemp vs. Ramona Quimby thing here yet?

He said it in an interview several years ago and you can google it. A cell phone or blackberry is not a keyboard and it seems fairly obvious that those are different movements.

Well, ok.

But cin said he couldn't use cell phones or "the like," so I just thought there was something out there that I'm missing.

When someone asserts something, the other person asks for sources for that assertion, then someone else says that I can google it -- well, I can't google it if it isn't true. I get it about the keyboards, and I can see that, even though I rarely sit where I have to raise my shoulders to type on a keyboard.

Anyway, it wasn't fairly obvious to *me* when the assertion was made that these different movements are also prohibitive to technology use.

I hope I didn't read your answer in the wrong way. If so, I apologize. I wasn't trying to challenge cin or put her on the spot. I simply wanted more information.

A couple of people have posted regarding or alluding to his use of computers. He has said that because of his injuries using computers and cell phones and the like are very difficult.

When? Where?

Lately he has been talking about how Cindy is going to "get him up to speed" and how learning to use the web will be a priority for him. Never heard a single mention of war wounds preventing his ability.

Only as this "blew up" and exposed the candidate as completely out of touch did Karl Rove, in an act of complete cynicism, attempt to cover the obviously damaging admission by pathetically attempting to blame the incuriousness on Sen McCain's war injuries.

This (in Rove's mind) got them a two-fer, it shut down (or tried to anyway) the discussion and made it look like cruel critics were attacking an invalid and (for the umpteenth time) reminded voters that Sen McCain suffered as POW. And it doesn't matter if it is true.

What an insult to the millions of people with far worse disabilities who manage to use the web for the McCain campaign to try to cover his total disregard for the transformative technology of our age by (falsely) claiming he is too disabled to point and click.

This is a serious lapse. And in my mind disqualifies Sen McCain as a serious choice for president in the 21st century.

Well, ok.

But cin said he couldn't use cell phones or "the like," so I just thought there was something out there that I'm missing.

When someone asserts something, the other person asks for sources for that assertion, then someone else says that I can google it -- well, I can't google it if it isn't true. I get it about the keyboards, and I can see that, even though I rarely sit where I have to raise my shoulders to type on a keyboard.

Anyway, it wasn't fairly obvious to *me* when the assertion was made that these different movements are also prohibitive to technology use.

I hope I didn't read your answer in the wrong way. If so, I apologize. I wasn't trying to challenge cin or put her on the spot. I simply wanted more information.

No, you didn't misread. I was terse. I apologize. I did not see an earlier reference to not using cell phones. I thought you were saying that using a cell phone and using a keyboard employs the same motions.

I do think that bending the elbows is part of using a keyboard no matter how you sit and I don't think his movement issues are limited to his shoulders. He can't tie his shoelaces and for that one reaches down.

Verbally safe? You mean like he could get us into war and such, diplomatically unsafe, that sort of thing?

I was just referring to having him on a ticket. Some of his gaffes could be dangerous to the race. Of course first, you have to find info on them...:glare:

No, you didn't misread. I was terse. I apologize. I did not see an earlier reference to not using cell phones. I thought you were saying that using a cell phone and using a keyboard employs the same motions.

I do think that bending the elbows is part of using a keyboard no matter how you sit and I don't think his movement issues are limited to his shoulders. He can't tie his shoelaces and for that one reaches down.

No worries, Zelda. Thanks for clarifying.

So is their vote about age or about Palin?

I'd like to point out that the Huffington Post article links back to Us Magazine. Now, I realize that the National Enquirer is the one that broke the story about Edwards' recent affair so we can't dismiss celebrity tabloids out of hand, but, I will wait for a more complete report from a few other sources. I'd like to know if $5000 is for the artist to travel with him to locations and includes the cost of make-up or if it is actually $5000 for just make-up as you suggest. I'd also like to know what the typical cost of a make-up artist is for politicians.

They think because of his age he will either make bad decisions or die in office. And they cannot believe the Palin pick. My mother especially finds it "disgusting" (her word) that he picked someone so inexperienced when in her opinion she may become the President. As I said, it's a non-issue for me, but it changed my parents' vote.

Margaret