Menu

Need btdt about sage oak charter

Anyone here (CA) use sage oak charter for their homeschool? I looked them up online and it looks very promising. It is a charter school that homeschoolers can go through, is what it seems to me. They provide funds for books and extra curricular activities up to 2 thousand dollars a year. Of course it has to be secular, but that is great by us.

You meet with the teacher person once a month, and give them a sample of the students work. I don't mind that part, seeing we could get funds.

www.sageoak.education is the website

My question is: Anyone using this charter school? And what do you think of it? Is it worth it? Are they friendly and easy to work with? It looks like they are open to different types/styles of homeschooling.

Edited by Peacefulisle

They operate in San Diego County, but I don't know anyone who uses them. In which county are you? Have you schooled through a charter before? What you described is pretty standard for charters. I would want to know whether you can choose your own [secular] curricula, who their vendors are and the ease with which you can add to their list, and whether they have an onsite learning center, field trips, and other opportunities to get together with other kids. I would also try to connect with your local homeschooling community to see if anyone has any experience with them, and can recommend a facilitator.

2k seems to be the going rate for funds for the elementary level at a lot of charters in So Cal. Shop around to make sure you find a good fit for your family.

ETA: This FB group should help you: https://www.facebook.com/groups/964284686950034/

Another: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SOCSfamilies/

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

I'm in Ca, not using Sage Oak, but I've been with a few different charters over 15 years now. There is a fb group for homeschool charters  https://www.facebook.com/groups/964284686950034/ where you can ask questions, there are moms there using diff. charters, and also some ES's that work for the charters.  The last decade, I've used both Sky Mountain and Springs charter (used to be River springs).  They both work in similar ways, I did find Springs to work better with having a more parent directed course in High School, Sky Mountain was more restrictive on books and courses for H.S.   I moved my children over to Springs as they hit high school.  I've had good experiences with them through the years.

• Like 3

We are with sage oak. They broke off from sky mountain last year. This is their first year as a charter school but the people that started it are the same people that started sky mountain. They offer 2k and it is very hands off in the elementary years. They don't offer classes like some of the other charters do bit we weren't looking for that. The drawbacks, which pretty much apply to all charters, are required testing, meeting with a TF (called es with sky mountain) filling out monthly forms about learning and requires PE hours. The testing is the iready test at the beginning and end of year and state testing. Your TF will meet with you 8x a year and collect a sample from 4 learning areas including math, history, english and science. Samples could be pictures or videos if you are using different methods for teaching such as baking for fractions or crafts for history or experiments for science. High School is where they are much more hands on. You have to use an approved course and follow a strict lesson plan with deadlines. They do have different types of courses depending on ifnyou want AG classes or non AG classes. I don't have any high schoolers right now so my knowledge is limited on how all of that works. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

• Like 2

We are with sage oak. They broke off from sky mountain last year. This is their first year as a charter school but the people that started it are the same people that started sky mountain. They offer 2k and it is very hands off in the elementary years. They don't offer classes like some of the other charters do bit we weren't looking for that. The drawbacks, which pretty much apply to all charters, are required testing, meeting with a TF (called es with sky mountain) filling out monthly forms about learning and requires PE hours. The testing is the iready test at the beginning and end of year and state testing. Your TF will meet with you 8x a year and collect a sample from 4 learning areas including math, history, english and science. Samples could be pictures or videos if you are using different methods for teaching such as baking for fractions or crafts for history or experiments for science. High School is where they are much more hands on. You have to use an approved course and follow a strict lesson plan with deadlines. They do have different types of courses depending on ifnyou want AG classes or non AG classes. I don't have any high schoolers right now so my knowledge is limited on how all of that works. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Thank you for this! 

Do they pay for music lessons  and your field trips? Also, I don't mind meeting with teachers, but I don't want to feel like... I don't know.. like I am not the real teacher, you know? I love the fact that they pay for curriculum , and provide funds for other things though.

Could the samples each month be a science test, or math test ? What if your sample isn't "good enough"? Do they provide you with the form to fill out?

Do you like your TF?

Also, my son is a bit behind in a few of his books. I am trying not to rush him. If we sign up will they question me on why?

I have a few personal reasons why I want to do this, but I am wondering if it is worth it, ya know?

Thanks for your help :)

Edited by Peacefulisle

I know a few people who signed up with Sage this year and have already dropped. They were not happy at all, but I also know some families who are happy with them. There are so many charters in the area that you might want to check them all out and look at reviews. The Facebook group on SoCal charters is a great place to get info.

• Like 1

Thank you for this!

Do they pay for music lessons and your field trips? Also, I don't mind meeting with teachers, but I don't want to feel like... I don't know.. like I am not the real teacher, you know? I love the fact that they pay for curriculum , and provide funds for other things though.

Could the samples each month be a science test, or math test ? What if your sample isn't "good enough"? Do they provide you with the form to fill out?

Do you like your TF?

Also, my son is a bit behind in a few of his books. I am trying not to rush him. If we sign up will they question me on why?

I have a few personal reasons why I want to do this, but I am wondering if it is worth it, ya know?

Thanks for your help :)

If you look on the website under vendor resources and vendor list you can see everything you can use your funds for. Music lessons, cooking classes, sewing lesson etc can all be paid for using funds . The teacher or school has to be on the list though so you have to check what is avaliable in your area. Sage oak is new so the list isn't as long as sky mountains is. My TF really lets me do my own thing which is what I want. She doesn't ever question me other than to ask what curriculum we are using so she can fill out what needs to be filled out. I think if people are looking for a charter that will help them with teaching or figuring out curriculum choices sage oak is not it. If you want to be in control of what you are doing and be more on your own then they are great. Test are fine as samples, worksheets, crafts, papers they've written, anything really. They just need documentation because they are accountable to the state and can be audited. I've never had my TF question a sample and I've used lots of different things. They don't question where they are at grade wise either so your son would be fine. The iready test we take showed my 5th grader in 3rd grade level for geometry but they give you the results for your own evaluation and they have never said anything about it to me. I only see or hear from my TF at the meetings and I am ok with that. I am just using the charter for the money so for is I would rather be left alone to do school how I want to. I like my TF she's very nice and I do use some Christian curriculum and she has never questioned me about it. I just can't use anything from the Christian curriculum as samples. That is the one thing they are very strict about. They don't allow curriculum even if it has one minor reference to God or the bible. Memoria press, CAP's writing and rhetoric, life of fred are all banned.

Edited by Momto4inSoCal
  • Like 1

Having the right supervising teacher makes a HUGE difference. So if you meet with one, ask lots of questions at the beginning. You can request reassignment if it's a mismatch. We were very fortunate in our several years of experience with charters that this came up only once. And charters are under pressure to demonstrate "progress" and "learning" so that there have gradually been added more tests....there was a computerized 1 hour (math & english) test that was given @ beginning of each semester and @ end of year, in addition to state yearly testing, a state-mandated essay task, plus CAHSEE testing, plus any tests for individual classes.

In general, elementary is much more loosely supervised, with monthly meetings and regular samples. High school is more focused on meeting A-G, which means a pre-determined textbook and syllabus. Some charters have a weekly meeting with high schoolers and the work assigned and reviewed by the campus teacher (weekly written work in every subject, including PE), at least for A-G classes; they may be more flexible on electives. We actually liked this model (once we'd given up on choosing our own texts) because it put more responsibility on the teen and built in accountability with someone who was NOT mom. This worked well for my #3 child, who was happy to work for her ES, whereas working for her mom made her insecurities pop out all over. It wouldn't necessarily have worked for other kiddos of mine, though.

Note: YMMV, as Sage Oak is not one of the charters we've had experience with. The funding sounds quite high to me, but I know the parent, Sky Mountain, was very high $$ in comparison to other charters I knew of in SoCal.

• Like 1

I know a few people who signed up with Sage this year and have already dropped. They were not happy at all, but I also know some families who are happy with them. There are so many charters in the area that you might want to check them all out and look at reviews. The Facebook group on SoCal charters is a great place to get info.

Do you know why they were not happy?

• 7 months later...

Are you thinking of registering/signing up your kiddos with them? 

Thanks so much for responding! Yes, I am, but I'd like to hear some feedback from people who have used them, or have chosen not to use them and go with another charter, etc. Any input from you would be greatly appreciated!

~Rayna

• Like 1

My kids are not with Sage Oak, but with another charter.  I also work as a teacher "EF/TF/ES" for another local charter and am pretty knowledgable on the differences between them.  Sage Oak seems solid enough and I have several friends with them.  Most charters run similarly with minor differences. If you are looking at high school then there are some major differences and you will want to research more.  If you want to chat differences between the local charters, I can give you some thoughts. PM me with any questions/concerns that are on your radar. ;) 

Good luck!  Charters are a great option! 

• 5 months later...

My kids are not with Sage Oak, but with another charter. I also work as a teacher "EF/TF/ES" for another local charter and am pretty knowledgable on the differences between them. Sage Oak seems solid enough and I have several friends with them. Most charters run similarly with minor differences. If you are looking at high school then there are some major differences and you will want to research more. If you want to chat differences between the local charters, I can give you some thoughts. PM me with any questions/concerns that are on your radar. ;)

Good luck! Charters are a great option!

Hi, I know this is an older post. I'm looking for information on homeschool charters for high school age in San Diego. I have a friend who uses Sage Oak for her elementary aged kids and loves it, but I'm really curious how much different it might be at the high school level. I'd appreciate any input. Thank you!

-Gina

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am debating Sage Oak for my kids, too--especially if I should use them for my highschooler or just my younger kids.  I may start a new thread because I have a few other questions--but thought if some others using Sage Oak on this post could chime in.  I want some freedom for high school, but there are some local classes that I want my 9th grader to take that Sage Oak would help pay for and this is a huge plus for me as we can't afford the $450-600 classes.  I use a lot of Christian curriculum-- Rod and Staff English, CLE math, biblioplan, Apologia science...oK--everything?!  I add in SOTW so I could use stuff from that.  But, what would I turn in for my highschooler?  Biblical worldview/education is very important.

• 1 month later...