Menu

DIY Speech for a PreSchooler

I have a 4 year old in the PS's speech program.  It's once a week w/ a non-trained implementer, not an SLP.  I am feeling like I really need to step up my game and focus PreK on speech.  My child already knows letters and letter sounds, and can even sound out small words like cat or dog.  I don't think we need to focus on reading, we need to focus on helping her learn to make certain sounds, keeping her speech clear, speaking sentences clearly (they say just 4 word sentences), and making the sounds that she is behind on.  I found a few games on TPT that I could buy and make up, but I was wondering if there are any programs already put together?  Is speech so individual that I am going to have to make it all up myself based on her goals?  Is there a program that you would recommend for a child with speech issues that would work better?

I would look for a book that has suggestions for things to do throughout the day.  

I don't know names but I have had a helpful hand-out for activities/suggestions when my oldest son was in speech, and I have seen books with suggestions at the library.

I think games/activities are great, but looking at things throughout the day can be a way to get a lot of time in, too.

Two of my sons recieve therapy and have for years, it's covered through our insurance so I don't know if that's an option for you.  Other than that for home work we use an app called "Oral Motor" to use exercises to help strengthen the muscles for the sounds they are weak in.  There's also one called Phonics Studio that helps my older son practice sounds.  I also like a blog called mommyspeechtherapy.com for learning more

• Like 2

My son has been in speech therapy for many years. Mostly it feels like drudgery. However, it is so necessary. Part of the time insurance has covered it. I'd really recommend some time with a SLP. They know the order of sounds and proper progression. It's worth it. I don't use anything else with my son - just his weekly therapy and the homework she sends with us. You can buy material designed for therapists but when I looked into it man years ago, they were pricey. Mine used an app -I can't remember the name but it was detailed- that was very pricey to buy on our own.

FWIW I have bought things from linguisystems that were identical to what the private SLP used for DD.  Cost was = 1 session of private therapy (which was not covered by our insurance at all).   A lot of the materials look like lists/picture/games using words with those sound though. There is little about teaching them how to make the sounds.

LIPS was the thing that helped DD the most -- but it was not an issue of can't make the sounds for her.  Still the idea of paying attention to your tongue and mouth seems integral to learning how to make certain sounds.

Thank you- my DD can make most all of the sounds, the problem is she mixes them all up, and inserts whatever sound she wants or leaves out complete parts of words or sentences.  She does have oral motor something?

Just to add that LIPS made a huge difference for my DD for the mixing/inserting/removing parts of words.  She was quite a bit older when we did it -- but OhElizabeth is doing LIPS with her K age (I believe) son.  There are a number of threads on this board about it.