Menu

I just don't know what to do anymore

My oldest is 11.5 years old.  When he was 9yo I determined that he likely has dyslexia.   I've had him do various test (but not official tests - stuff from home) and it does seem the likely diagnosis.   I've been working with him over that time with a few things for reading.   He does read - but makes typical dyslexic mistakes  (missing endings, missing words, similar words - one example that comes to mind that for some reason I can remember is reading 'dominion' as 'domination'.)  At 9 he couldn't spell at all (we did AO, so I hadn't focused on spelling before that point) - he did improve with AAS - we did Level 1 and a bit of level 2.   At 11 he still has handwriting like a younger student - and is very resistant at writing (does 'ok' with copywork... doesn't like it.... he is barely writing a sentence or so)

Anyway - that is just to get you an idea of where he is.

And his sister is 9yo, and she has 'something' going on too.  Her symptoms are different (of course - can't have anything simple) - I did AAS with her about the same time - she just finished level 1 when I stopped using it.    She also isn't reading to grade level (but did young... she had read at maybe a grade 2.5-3.0 level since she was 5 - no real progress).  It took her forever to learn to write fairly legibly - I'd say just this year really.   She reverses how she writes numbers a lot (ie, backwards 6 - not 65 instead of 56)   

So that is about where she is.

Their Step-sister (now an adult) was apparently diagnosed with dyslexia at age 16 or 17ish.

So - I'm in Canada.  Where I am there is no testing at all available through the schools for homeschoolers.   Even if I put them in school (which I'm not going to) there is generally a waiting list for their own students for reading evaluations of at least a year - and it would probably take a year or so of convincing it wasn't due to bad teaching (homeschooling).   And then any help they could give would be likely to be ineffective as it is not designed for dyslexia.

We have no medical insurance - and this type of evaluation wouldn't be something covered by the government for free.

The dyslexic center here (we actually have one!) costs $2000 flat fee for an evaluation.  (well, that was the cost when I checked 2 years ago - so at least that.)   We are not likely to ever be able to afford it.

No Scotish rite centres here....

Now that my oldest is getting close to 'Junior High' school age - I'm just getting frustrated and worried.  I am doing what I can for him and I think I'm doing 'ok', but there is no documentation for the accomodations I am using for him.  I'm worried about tests in the future, university, or whatever else.  I also worry about whether I'm doing the best things for him.

I realize that you guys likely don't have any answers....   but I'm just so frustrated.

:grouphug:

I'm sorry you're going through this.  My advice will likely not sound helpful: they need testing.  There must be somewhere where they can get tested.  In the US, a private psychologist (not a neuropsych) who is very good can likely get a diagnosis if it's obvious.  It may cost a few hundred dollars, much less than a neuropsych.  If it is dyslexia, they need specific reading curriculums to learn to read.  It is a very explicit instruction oriented diagnosis, needing direct intervention and teaching.  AAR and AAS are good but do not work for all dyslexics, if that is what they have. 

TBO, if you go with a psych who can diagnose, it may be a temporary fix as there may be other things that can occur at the same time: vision problems, memory difficulties, attention concerns, other things.  Some of which seem to act like dyslexia but have different treatments.  Though dyslexia is common, especially with a family history, it is not necessarily the only problem. 

I wish I knew more about Canadian testing to help out.  But I would spend every waking minute trying to find wavers, favors, help, grants, scholarships, fundraisers, anything to get testing done.  Try calling the dyslexic center, state you cannot afford it and ask if there are universities that test for reduced prices (maybe students can test), anything! 

• Like 2

That is a rough spot to be in regarding the testing.  In your shoes, I would shake the bushes for anyone who knows someone, a friend from Scouts, a neighbor's relative, a church friend, someone from dance class, on Facebook, etc to see if there is a private diagnostician who will do a dyslexia evaluation.  $2000 sounds really pricey to me, though I don't have a kid with dyslexia.  Not going through a large center will be less expensive.  Maybe a public school diagnostician could do some weekend private testing for a decent price.  It is hard to remediate without specific information.  Do you know anyone in the states who could hook you up with this testing?  I don't know how far from the border in Canada you are. 

I don't know if any of that is helpful, but I'm throwing things out for consideration.

• Like 2

Also, call the nearest university and talk to someone from the psych department or educational diagnostician programs, if they have those and ask if there are resources there.  Sometimes there are low cost clinics run by universities for students to gain practice.  They are supervised by licensed people so the oversight would be good.

• Like 4

Also, call the nearest university and talk to someone from the psych department or educational diagnostician programs, if they have those and ask if there are resources there.  Sometimes there are low cost clinics run by universities for students to gain practice.  They are supervised by licensed people so the oversight would be good.

yes, good point. I read about this being possible at a couple of our local universities.

• Like 1

The international dyslexia association (Ontario branch) has a scholarship for student who are public school students for neuropsych testing: http://idaontario.com/assessment-scholarship.html

I'll keep looking, but I'm positive if you start calling and asking and explaining, you will find someone willing to reduce fees for testing or know someone who will help out.  And I bet scholarships that list public students may bend the rules sometime. 

Besides International Dyslexia Association, start browsing Dyslexic Advantage blog/forum.  There may be hints there.

• Like 1

Ok, for anyone who is in BC, also note that here it's not just homeschooling or school that are your options. if you go the DL (distributed learning) route, you can access money for testing, AND access extra funds for remedial programs or tutoring.

And fwiw, while i think testing is good and 20/20 hindsight I think I should have tested earlier, my dd didn't test until the year before she went to college. She tested to get an official dx so that she could get accomodations & that's worked out just fine. 

Given that you have an idea what's going on, I'd keep saving for an assessment, and in the meantime use these:

-Elizabeth's free phonics lessons. These really had a huge impact on both my kids.

-after one run through of Elizabeth's lessons, I'd test the child & put them either into Dancing Bears reading or Apples & Pears spelling

-consider doing a 2nd run through Elizabeth's lessons 

Also consider finding a developmental optometrist & getting an eye assessment. In BC kids can get this appointment under the health care plan.

hth a bit!

• Like 2

Most of my remedial students have either an underlying speech/language or vision problem, those are easier and cheaper to screen out and also have specific therapies that can be used after finding out if there is a problem in any of these areas.

Considering the cost of low literacy, it is worth spending the money on an "actionable" test, literacy is more highly correlated with earnings than IQ, I have a graph I will add in a bit.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/profitable.html

Considering the cost of low literacy, it is worth spending the money on an "actionable" test, literacy is more highly correlated with earnings than IQ, I have a graph I will add in a bit.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/profitable.html

Agreed - but when you are using the food bank to eat, and are constantly having to figure out how to get all the utility bills paid....  (but yes, we do have internet...)

Agreed - but when you are using the food bank to eat, and are constantly having to figure out how to get all the utility bills paid.... (but yes, we do have internet...)

:grouphug:

I will post later with free and low cost ideas to screen for and teach to each problem area, most likely tonight or tomorrow but we will see.

• Like 1

Also read up on dysgraphia. It's likely at least your oldest deals with it. I assume, because of your step daughter's diagnosis, it is your DH who is dyslexic.

Knowing about dysgraphia can relieve frustration. Teach typing.

Actually, my dh doesn't seem to be dyslexic.  His brother likely was... (as my dh said his brother learned to read when he wanted to play Dungeons and Dragons...)   No dyslexia at all on my side of the family (although there is other stuff on my side of the family that we have probably passed down in our genetics...)

My son is working on learning typing.... we also make a LOT of use of audiobooks.  

My son has trouble forming his thoughts to type too. He actually sometimes has problem expressing himself verbally (orally) as well, though he usually does fairly well with oral narrations.

May as well add in dyscalcula.   He is 11 in RightStart D, and seems unable to memorize math facts (still doesn't have addition facts automatic.)   He generally does fairly well in his math but is SLOW, and does have trouble now that there is multi-step calculations (like multi-digit multiplication... we haven't hit long division yet!)   If his math worksheet has more than one multi-digit multiplication step then he does the first one by hand (always allowed the abacus) - then is allowed to do the rest with a calculator (but must check the answer with check-numbers.)   That is an accomodation I've allowed after discussing it with Kathleen Cotter.   

• 2 weeks later...

Try some of my UPP resources.  After teaching the key, see if the UPP helps or hurts.  The Federalist and Parker excerpts are secular if you want secular resources.  Try both with and without a hyphen.  Students with an underlying speech difficulty will be helped by the UPP.  Students with an underlying vision problem will find the UPP harder to use than a regular font of the same size.  It does take a few lessons of reading it and learning the key to get used to, though.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/upp.html

I used to have a UPP version with blue vowels, but 99% of my students with underlying vision problems found that hugely distracting.  So, type out a paragraph with the vowels in blue with a regular font and a similar paragraph in difficulty (get something from the same story or web page) and see which is harder.  A normal student will find the blue slightly distracting but interesting and helpful for spelling.  A student with an underlying vision problem will find it very distracting and will read it much slower.

Then, give a few lists of similar words, but one list in 12 point font, one in 20 point font, one in 36 point font.  (For example, 20 CVC words and 10 CVCE words mixed together) and time each of the list and count the accuracy.  If B/D/P confusion is a problem, use no Bs or D's or P's in these lists.

You can do the LiPS screening for Barton as well, the ladies here should have a link.

Also, try my nonsense word test, the new Elizabethian test:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

The MWIA is always interesting as well, record errors.  (For example, "fog as frog" or "flop as fop," you write the incorrect pronunciation above the actual word on your copy.

There are cheap resources for vision and phonological processing/speech/language once you figure out which is most likely. 

• Like 1

I'm in Nova Scotia. Neuropsychs are (shockingly) even more expensive here. We managed to get one done by participating in a study, so it's definitely worth checking with any nearby universities or children's hospitals-both about research projects and student assessments. We were referred through a paediatrician, so if you don't have one, getting one may be helpful. Also, I do know someone who managed to get testing done through the public schools here, even though he was homeschooling. Now, I know he really, really put the place up, and no one else I know has ever managed it. It depends on the wording of the education act in your home province whether they have to do it. There is one person here "responsible" for the homeschoolers, and she will often counsel people as to services, and write letters to the schools if people want to "co-school", so there may be a similar person where you are. It really all depends on the province. Best of luck. 

• Like 1