Menu

Apologia Science for Elementary

Yes.  So do the high school materials.  The religion of the elementary series is very heavy handed.  That diminishes significantly with the high school texts.  Though, the newer 3rd editions are by a different author and the religious content is increasing within the high school texts.

Yes.  If you are looking for Y.E. these books are right up your alley.

If not, these may still be usable for you.  I am not at all Y.E., and did NOT know they were Y.E. textbooks, so I was a little frustrated at first when we bought one and found all the Y.E. references.  I was a little irritated that it wasn't made clear ahead of time.  However,  that one textbook we ended up using anyway since it was for an on-line class we had already paid for.  I just started reading the material to the kids (usually over breakfast) and editing out the Y.E. material as I read.  It wasn't hard to do.  The rest is pretty solid, to me, and the conversational tone was a big hit with the kids.  Lots of good pictures and diagrams, as well.  Information is well organized and presented.  They have learned a lot.

Yes.  If you are looking for Y.E. these books are right up your alley.

If not, these may still be usable for you.  I am not at all Y.E., and did NOT know they were Y.E. textbooks, so I was a little frustrated at first when we bought one and found all the Y.E. references.  I was a little irritated that it wasn't made clear ahead of time.  However,  that one textbook we ended up using anyway since it was for an on-line class we had already paid for.  I just started reading the material to the kids (usually over breakfast) and editing out the Y.E. material as I read.  It wasn't hard to do.  The rest is pretty solid, to me, and the conversational tone was a big hit with the kids.  Lots of good pictures and diagrams, as well.  Information is well organized and presented.  They have learned a lot.

I am not looking for Y.E. and know that the author's views sometimes are heavily reflected in the text and other times not so much which is why I was curious. I liked the look of these especially with the junior journals but am not sure my first year out I want to pick through and explain a difference of belief. The search continues. 

• Like 1

I like that it is Y.E., but we haven't just loved the curriculum itself. It just really annoys me that of the 7 levels they have, 5 of those are biology. That is a LOT of years of biology. We loved the year of astronomy and learned a ton!! Another issue I have is that you spend an. entire. year. on each topic. My kids enjoyed the ocean animals level for a while but we were tired of them by about 2/3 of the way into the book. We like a little more variety. I'm still searching.

Jay Wile's elementary series is great. He is YE but I have to say that it is not referenced anywhere near as often as the Apologia elementary books. Also, there is a much wider variety of topics covered in one book - not one topic for a whole year. We are using Science in the Beginning and topics are covered in blocks.

• Like 2