Menu

BJU science-- dvd vs. online classes

You can still get the dvds, but they are considered to be a rental.  If you get the online course, they have the teacher manual and student text online.  You just would have to buy a student textbook if you wanted them to have a hard copy.  For the next 10 days or so, they have a $99 deal for their online courses which is quite the savings.  Another thing that's cool about the online option is that the tests and quizzes are online.  This system gives you a place to input grades on chapter reviews and labs and the program will calcite their grade for you.

Beth

You can still get the dvds, but they are considered to be a rental.  If you get the online course, they have the teacher manual and student text online.  You just would have to buy a student textbook if you wanted them to have a hard copy.  For the next 10 days or so, they have a $99 deal for their online courses which is quite the savings.  Another thing that's cool about the online option is that the tests and quizzes are online.  This system gives you a place to input grades on chapter reviews and labs and the program will calcite their grade for you.

Beth

If you do the online, you have to long in a at a specific time though, right?

No, you don't have to log in at any specific time.  In fact, although BJU was off for the Thanksgiving holidays, my ds was still able to access his online science class.  We did the online science class for the first time this past year, using the $99 sale, and we liked it so much that we are doing it again this year.  We had done the DVDs in the past, but I have to say that it was more work to find the right DVD and then discover that it was scratched and had to be returned to the company.  Then we would have to wait several days for the new one to come in the mail.  BJU is set up nicely to do this, but it was still a pain.  I love having the tests and quizzes graded for us by BJU.  I can adjust grades, but I have found the online to be easier to use than I thought it would be.  Another bonus is that my ds has really enjoyed blogging on the BJU forums, which is a perk only available to those who get the online version.

One of my biggest complaints about the online program is that I, as the teacher, do not have access to the tests until after the student has taken them. Testing like this is fairly new for ds, so it was difficult for me to help him prepare when I couldn't even see the test. If I order something online again, I will pay the extra price to have the paper tests and answer key and have him take those instead. 

I ordered the paper tests.  I think the quizzes also came with it...?  

I don't use them for for preparation, though.  I have my kids study their material on their own and see how they do on the quizzes and tests without help from me.  My goal is to try to teach them how to be in a school class, and to learn how to take notes and study on their own.  It has been a learning curve, but it has also been a valuable experience for them.

Any comments on other classes that you guys like from BJU?

These are all we've used, and they've been good. There are samples online of each course, and there are teachers I don't think I'd ever use because of mannerisms or they way the talk to the viewer and such. 

3rd grade science

5th grade heritage studies

6th grade science

7th grade science

11th grade American history

12th grade Economics

11th grade Bible (3 different books and topics)

We've done science 6,7 and now 8. Loved them all.

I considered using the DVD next year versus online, but I think access to the tm will preclude me from doing that. Sometimes the videos are slow, and being a Yankee I talk fast and my kids are used to it. We'd all like to be able to go at 1.2 or 1.5 speed. I've heard grade 9 can ramble... :-)

I considered using the DVD next year versus online, but I think access to the tm will preclude me from doing that. Sometimes the videos are slow, and being a Yankee I talk fast and my kids are used to it. We'd all like to be able to go at 1.2 or 1.5 speed. I've heard grade 9 can ramble... :-)

I'm using DVD now for Science 6. You do get some of the TM pages printed, the pages with the questions and answers at the end of sections. I'll admit, though, that I'd rather have the whole thing.

I plan on using the 7th grade course next year, but I will be looking for the tests and TM used before then. 

Would you please share how you and your students use this science? What do you need to buy? What are you responsible for? What does each day look like? I am really interested in trying the online Science 6 for younger son while older finishes his Apologia General Science by himself. Thanks!

Sheldon, they also have BJU homeworks consultants who get a small percentage if you order from them. You never pay shipping if you order from them and they are helpful by phone or email. I ordered some online classes with the recent $99 DLO sale and my consultant was super helpful.

HomeWorks Consultants | BJU Press

https://www.bjupress.com/homeworks/

BJU Press has partnered with HomeWorks by Precept to represent our homeschool products in a one-on-one approach. HomeWorks by Precept consultants are ...

Would you please share how you and your students use this science? What do you need to buy? What are you responsible for? What does each day look like? I am really interested in trying the online Science 6 for younger son while older finishes his Apologia General Science by himself. Thanks!

I thought it might be easier to blog the whole deal - so at the risk of being a linker - here's my full review: https://friedclamsandsweettea.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/bju-middle-school-science-whats-it-like/ Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer what I can. :-)