Menu

The Well Educated Mind for high school?

You might try cross-posting this question on the High School Board for more responses; some posters of high schoolers don't tend to check the General Board. :)

We used some ideas from WTM and WEM for our Literature and History studies in high school, but no, not as written out in WTM. But then, I don't think I've ever used any curriculum or plan as written. ;)

It's partly due to having DSs who didn't *mind* History and Lit., but were not passionate about those subjects, and partly due to having one with mild LDs which *always* meant adapting curriculum. But mostly it's due to who *I* am and my teaching style -- which is to take the best and most workable parts from many different great resources, throw them in the blender of my brain, and come out with something unique for our use.  :laugh:

BUT, back on track of your question: To help get you started, here are some past threads:

Making History come together (per WTM)

WTM History for High School

How to teach History/Lit the WTM way?

Assessment with WTM History & Literature

Chronological WTM style History and AP exams - how do you do both?

And, as WTM is based on a Great Books study approach, Below are some more threads that may be of interest. (I'm just cutting/pasting this list from a past thread). BEST of luck in getting some helpful input from those who more closely follow WTM for History/Literature. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Encouragement for doing the Great Books
I don't think we're cut out for the Great Books
Advice on teaching Great Books - year 1

Doing the Great Books with reluctant readers
Reluctant high school reader
Where do you start with a high school boy who has never read classic lit

What does doing the Great Books look like
Doing Literature with my 9th grader
Doing TWTM with a high school student who isn't ready for Rhetoric level
TWEM (how Nan in Mass did literature with her science-based sons)
Does anyone do high school history/lit ala WTM/WEM? (see esp. post #4, by Nan in Mass
Realistic us of WEM for high school?
Tell me about your traditional lit/history high school courses (see esp. post #9, by Nan in Mass)

"Nuts and Bolts" of doing Great Books
Questions about how you do literature with your high school students (mechanics & scheduling: solo vs. group reading; how often to discuss; etc.)
Which literature study is better for high school: more books or fewer/deeper (how many Great Books to schedule per year)
If you create your own literature program, do you analyze every book (very pragmatic, realistic insights)
Cross Post: How to study literature (lots of suggested resources)

Writing about the Great Books
Nan in Mass et.al (how do you write about the Great Books)
More about the Response papers and their content (terrific post by Tullia, useful as assignment ideas for writing about Great Books)
What is Literary Analysis and When to Teach It (SWB handout -- great list of Logic stage questions that work as a springboard into Rhetoric stage discussions/writing assignments)

See a sort-of Great Book discussion in action
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight -- in put needed please
I really need to talk to talk! Anyone want to chat with a crazy lady? (great back-and-forth discussion on Jane Eyre)