Menu

Does anyone do high school history/lit ala WTM / WEM?

There are soo many options for history w/ a Great Books study that at this point, I was just wondering if anyone was actually following the suggestions in WTM / WEM for history & Lit(Great Books). I only have the original WTM here, still waiting on the last release version from the library.... it sounds like the news won't be out till May? I just received a copy of the WEM from my library and it seems very readable. WTM method sounds relaxed but still very enlightening and yet, I gather this method will really require me to do all the same reading as they do just to engage in any form of discussion?? (not a bad idea but I have 2 other kids to teach also) ...or do you sometimes use a lit guide? How is this method working out for you? Do you like it? Do your kids like it? If you have switched to another method/progrm, could you share why and which program you switched to?

TIA

--Kathie

In the sense that we base our studies on real books, study history and literature together and don't use a packaged curriculum? Yes. That's exactly what my daughter did and what I assume my son will do, too.

I even have the WEM on the shelf.

However, I don't strictly follow the WTM approach in other ways. And I just assign the sections of the WEM that apply to whatever book we're reading. And I feel very free to add in other resources that strike my fancy.

But in general, yes. I truly don't understand the need to buy a lot of stuff.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to answer your other questions. Yes, my daughter liked it very much. And it served her quite well. She's now in college and finding herself more prepared than many of the other students to handle her classes.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

How old are your other children? I had two, four years apart, and when we began great books, I had the youngest reading TWTM logic list on his own in the next room while the older one and I read aloud together. That didn't last long LOL. The younger one complained that we were reading fascinating stories all cozy together in front of the fire, while he had to read all alone, and it wasn't fair. He was right - it wasn't. And our discussions went much better when we included him. I had to pick our books more carefully, so he wouldn't be bored or grow up too fast, but frankly, that saved me from making the mistake of having my older one read things that he wasn't ready for, either. Now I know how to pick books that work for us, but then, I was just beginning great books and hadn't read most of them myself and didn't know what our focus was going to be. Anyway, if your children are all not too far apart, perhaps you can read things aloud together? Discussions work better that way for us. I wrote a post awhile ago describing how we do great books TWTM/TWEM way. I'll see if I can find it. Basically, I pick a book I think we'll like, we read a little about it on Wikipaedia to see why it is famous, I pre-read the intro and pick out which bits to read aloud (sometimes just scanning and reading while the children wait), usually something about the author's life and times, we put it on a map and a timeline, read it aloud together pointing out to each other anything interesting that we notice, do TWEM questions for the book, and then do some sort of project or paper. Meanwhile, my older one is reading Spielvogel's Western Civ and the younger one Kingfisher. Often, other resources show up, magazine articles or something on the radio or whatever, while we're reading. By the time we've discussed the book, one of us has had a good idea for a project or paper. They've made reed boat models, compared The Birds and Fierce Creatures, listened to someone playing the harp and reciting Beowulf, done drawings of Dante's circles of hell, reset Everyman, and other things along those lines. I've found that drawing something and writing about it follow the same steps, so one turns out to be just about as good for digesting a book as the other. We've had fun and some great discussions doing great books this way. As time has gone by, I've noticed that my children keep in mind the questions as we read.

HTH

-Nan

How old are your other children? I had two, four years apart, and when we began great books, I had the youngest reading TWTM logic list on his own in the next room while the older one and I read aloud together. That didn't last long LOL. The younger one complained that we were reading fascinating stories all cozy together in front of the fire, while he had to read all alone, and it wasn't fair. He was right - it wasn't. And our discussions went much better when we included him. I had to pick our books more carefully, so he wouldn't be bored or grow up too fast, but frankly, that saved me from making the mistake of having my older one read things that he wasn't ready for, either. Now I know how to pick books that work for us, but then, I was just beginning great books and hadn't read most of them myself and didn't know what our focus was going to be. Anyway, if your children are all not too far apart, perhaps you can read things aloud together? Discussions work better that way for us. I wrote a post awhile ago describing how we do great books TWTM/TWEM way. I'll see if I can find it. Basically, I pick a book I think we'll like, we read a little about it on Wikipaedia to see why it is famous, I pre-read the intro and pick out which bits to read aloud (sometimes just scanning and reading while the children wait), usually something about the author's life and times, we put it on a map and a timeline, read it aloud together pointing out to each other anything interesting that we notice, do TWEM questions for the book, and then do some sort of project or paper. Meanwhile, my older one is reading Spielvogel's Western Civ and the younger one Kingfisher. Often, other resources show up, magazine articles or something on the radio or whatever, while we're reading. By the time we've discussed the book, one of us has had a good idea for a project or paper. They've made reed boat models, compared The Birds and Fierce Creatures, listened to someone playing the harp and reciting Beowulf, done drawings of Dante's circles of hell, reset Everyman, and other things along those lines. I've found that drawing something and writing about it follow the same steps, so one turns out to be just about as good for digesting a book as the other. We've had fun and some great discussions doing great books this way.

-Nan

HBasically, I pick a book I think we'll like, we read a little about it on Wikipaedia to see why it is famous, I pre-read the intro and pick out which bits to read aloud (sometimes just scanning and reading while the children wait), usually something about the author's life and times, we put it on a map and a timeline, read it aloud together pointing out to each other anything interesting that we notice, do TWEM questions for the book, and then do some sort of project or paper.

Nan,

I'm curious to know why you follow TWTM's book list but then use the questions from TWEM? Is there a specific reason why you don't use the questions that SWB provides in TWTM?

How old are your other children?

HTH

-Nan

I have a dd that's 14yo but in 8th now due to a late birthday, a ds that's 12yo and in 7th; I'll probably keep these two together. I also have a 9yo ds in ~3rd (reading books tagged for 6th grade) and a 4yo little gal starting phonics. This guy is in Classical Conversations - Foundations but sits in with the older two now when we read aloud A History of US ... and he'll remember the answers to the SL core 100 questions before the other two! I'll have both younger kids in Foundations next year but will keep all 4 on the same time period- about the first half of a world history study if possible, if not we'll do Ancients.

I tried the WTM approach when we started the logic stage but my kids didn't take to well to it. They/we didn't like how the notebook scattered the notes, it made reviewing harder. There were other things but I can't remember at this point. However I'm thinking that they are older now, and the plan for the rhetoric level just sounds simpler (which is different then easier). Right now we are using SL core 100. We all enjoy it and would like it even more if outside circumstances didn't keep pushing us off schedule. But besides that I'm also noticing that they really aren't remembering too much and our discussions are very high level... closer to comprehension with a bit of dialectic. I think they are ready for more.

Well I have to run but will go find your other posts as Jane in NC suggested when I get some time.

--Kathie

I just threw out all my well-laid plans using traditional curriculums, filled the living room with books, and started history/lit à la WTM on Monday! Scary! Over the weekend I reread anything I could find written by Nan in Mass, reread the WTM instructions, and tried to relax :-) The only reason I started was because both my sons (14 and 10) were so excited about it--4 years apart, but I'll try combining them on as many books as I can. There's no way we'll get through the long lists, so we'll just choose books that look interesting to us and not worry about fitting everything in. Yes, I have to read along too, but we'll try to do many of them aloud together. It feels very much like unschooling, and I suppose we'll do a lot of learning and adjusting along the way to make it fit for us.

Best of luck!

We do a somewhat modified WTM/WEM here. I've listed some past threads below in which I describe what we do -- but also, you'll get to see what others do, too! Sometimes (as in Beth's "Green Knight" and Janice's "Crazy Lady" threads below) we do a WTM/WEM Great Books discussion amongst ourselves -- which always gives me ideas for doing the Great Books with our boys.

Hope something here is of help! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Please Share how you do... WTM Great Books:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78332

I Don't Think We're Cut Out for The Great Books:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77066

Tell Me I Can Really WTM at Home for HS:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74736

"Great Books" and High School Credits?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66912

On the Subject of Literary Study

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52181

On the Subject of Lightning Lit. and TheGreatBooks.com

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51473

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: Input Needed Please

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66792

I Think I Really Need To Talk! Anyone Want to Chat With A Crazy Lady?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57610

Wow sooo much info! Thanks everyone.

My kids love it when I'm reading aloud and we just talk about it, so this could be fun.

What about them reading it themselves? Do you take the time for them to do that at some point also?

Also, do you take time in the beginning of the year to read thru How to Read a Book in 9th and Reading Strands in 10th (or TWEM in both grades) and take notes? These tools teach how to read with "pencil in hand" to encourage analysis; so do you ask for these notes or do this writing together while reading the works aloud? Or do you just analyze orally and then have them write after without taking these notes?

Blessings,

Kathie

Edited by Kathie in VA