Menu

Assessment w/WTM History & Literature

If you do WTM history & literature for high school, what do you use for assessment? Just grades on papers? Or, do you put together something else; i.e. tests, for assessment? I know that WTM rhetoric-level history and literature consists of a spine, papers, etc., but I am wondering if those of you doing it add anything else.

Thank you.

Edited by 1Togo

If you do WTM history & literature for high school, what do you use for assessment? Just grades on papers? Or, do you put together something else; i.e. tests, for assessment? I know that WTM rhetoric-level history and literature consists of a spine, papers, etc., but I am wondering if those of you doing it add anything else.

Thank you.

In addition to assessing papers and projects, I assess discussion. Did they come prepared to discuss? (i.e. Did they do enough research for their context paper? Did they read the work carefully?) Did they participate?

This article on Socratic method helped me decide how to assess discussions. Here's an excerpt:

"To further foster students learning this self-discipline, I strongly recommend grading their participation, and making it an especially weighty part of their overall grade (participation counted for close to 40% of the overall grade in the Humanities classes I taught). This, too, will ruffle feathers. Students and parents alike will be quick to play the “subjective card,” pointing out that no perfectly objective standard exists for grading participation. But that’s not entirely true. When I ask little Johnny what he knows about Thoreau, and he blushes red and says, “Nothing,” I can be quite certain that his participation in our Thoreau discussion was sub-par. Conversely, when little Susie’s hand is constantly up and she makes several good observations about Thoreau’s arguments, I can safely describe her participation as dazzling. Thus, students could earn one of three participation grades each day in my class: incomplete (objective), complete (somewhat subjective, but you have to be awfully quick on your feet to earn a “complete” when you deserve an “incomplete”), and dazzling (somewhat subjective, but as with art, my students know it when they see it)."

Edited by Luann in ID

Luann,

I am teaching our last student, have only three years left to homeschool, and can evaluate what we've done during

our homeschool years that I want to continue and what I do not. After reading articles and threads and listening to lectures, I know that some of what I planned for next year isn't what I want to do. This article is so good. Thank you.

Edited by 1Togo