Menu

Laptop suggestions for new college student?

mamakelly

My oldest son just started college yesterday, yay!! He needs a laptop of some sort, and will have to pay for it himself with his loan money. He is a graphic design major, which makes me think he should get a Mac. DH says that who knows what he will need in a few years when he really starts taking more of the computer art classes, so he should buy a less expensive laptop now, and get something nicer later. Thoughts!?

i would have him ask his guidance counselor which would be better. We had to purchase my Mac girl a new laptop (on top of the new Mac she had just gotten in the summer for college) because she had to use a pc for her computer class. Most of her classes seem to need a pc much to her dismay. She is getting used to it.

We purchased my dd a small sized laptop that would be easy for her to carry. A lot of lower level undergrad classes might require a PC. I guess I tend to agree with the idea of buying something cheaper now and upgrading later, when needed. Graphic design is one of those fields that is rapidly developing in terms of technology. I know there was an article not that long ago about the types of technology that The Oatmeal uses (he's a graphic designer in addition to his website, comics, etc), but I can't find it right now.

As a wife of a graphic designer and mom of an art major going into graphic design, I suggest a MacBook PRO (need at least pro to run creative suite) souped to the max with RAM, hard drive space, and a good graphics card. You can put Office on a mac, neither of my dc had any trouble with using macs in college for non art classes. And both are still running! And... the university begged us to let them get macs and said they knew our dc would not be in the long line getting help from IT with computer troubles. Be sure to purchase Apple Care, all of us have used it. Laptops take a beating being portable.

i would have him ask his guidance counselor which would be better. We had to purchase my Mac girl a new laptop (on top of the new Mac she had just gotten in the summer for college) because she had to use a pc for her computer class. Most of her classes seem to need a pc much to her dismay. She is getting used to it.

Just putting this out there so if anyone else finds themselves in this situation they can save some money. You can buy a copy of Windows and bootcamp your Mac to take care of this issue. It runs just like a PC with Windows but tends to be more stable. It's super easy and there are hand-holding walkthroughs everywhere on the internet.