Menu

Something between MathMammoth & Right Start?

ajfries

Short version: I'm looking for something that has more manipulatives that MM and more worksheets than RS.

Long version: We started out using RS A, but the lessons just skip around too much; I can't ever see where they are going with things & it makes me twitch. I do like the whole idea behind it, though. I just need something more linear within each individual lesson.

I had originally gotten MM to supplement RS, since DS tends to enjoy worksheets but RS ended up just getting phased out. DS is working in Level 1B of MM & I really like it, but I truly believe that something more hands on is going to be more beneficial. He was definitely able to work longer on RS than he can in MM.

So I'm looking for a middle ground. I found a few threads where Miquon & Singapore were used in conjunction and many seemed happy with that combination. I'd love to hear more about that if anyone has any insight.

Well, there is Math In Focus with the support workbooks and manipulatives.  Pricey but I have been able to find nearly everything used, including most of the workbooks "used" but actually not used workbooks on-line for a fraction of the normal cost. You might need to buy some of the manipulatives from the source but the rest you may already have on hand.  I know a lot of people don't use the TM but I have found it enormously useful, especially when incorporating manipulatives and seeing how lessons at one level link to lessons at higher and lower levels.  I just have to keep an eye out for used versions to cut the cost.  So far we love it.

I am sure there are plenty of other options, though, so hopefully someone else will chime in soon.

I disliked RS A for the reasons you mention but I *LOVE* RS B. B was the original entry point to RS and A was added later as a gentler intro. I started my oldest in B and I'm glad I did because I probably would've dumped RS entirely had I orginally started with A.

I disliked RS A for the reasons you mention but I *LOVE* RS B. B was the original entry point to RS and A was added later as a gentler intro. I started my oldest in B and I'm glad I did because I probably would've dumped RS entirely had I originally started with A.

That is exactly where I'm at. And it is so expensive! The bridge kit (since I already have some manipulatives) to take me to RS B (the 2nd edition) is $130 PLUS the $85 books.

I've considered moving to B, but I've read that RS B is geared toward 7 year olds, whereas DS is only 6 in November. It wouldn't bother me so much if we'd actually completed A (and that just isn't going to happen; I've tried & tried). The placement test puts him in B (based on the fact that he knows his addition facts to 10), but on the RS Yahoo group, I keep seeing people post that their kids all hit a roadblock around lesson 70.

This is driving me crazy. Math is definitely a weak spot for me & I'm really determined to "do better" with my kids. I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself. :)

I've considered moving to B, but I've read that RS B is geared toward 7 year olds, whereas DS is only 6 in November. It wouldn't bother me so much if we'd actually completed A (and that just isn't going to happen; I've tried & tried). The placement test puts him in B (based on the fact that he knows his addition facts to 10), but on the RS Yahoo group, I keep seeing people post that their kids all hit a roadblock around lesson 70.

Plenty of kids younger than 7 do just fine in RS B. My oldest started it at not-quite-5 and while she had to go more slowly than the pace listed in the book, she finished it in 13 months schooling year-round. My 2nd child start it at 5 1/2 and got through B and the first part of C in about 18 months.

My son turned 6 in Dec and he's halfway through RS B with no signs of slowing down. I really like B! So that is an option.

Level A is random and feels disorganized. I still use it because my kids enjoy doing school at age 4 and 5 and they find RS fun.

I am getting ready to start D with my oldest and I'm thankful for what she has learned in RS.

We do MM alongside because my kids enjoy worksheets. Weird, I know!

My son turned 6 in Dec and he's halfway through RS B with no signs of slowing down. I really like B! So that is an option.

Level A is random and feels disorganized. I still use it because my kids enjoy doing school at age 4 and 5 and they find RS fun.

I am getting ready to start D with my oldest and I'm thankful for what she has learned in RS.

We do MM alongside because my kids enjoy worksheets. Weird, I know!

Awesome! I'll just plan on starting B when I've saved up my pennies! I don't know whether to be relieved that RS could be everything I'd hoped for after all :001_wub: or disappointed that there's no reason to research more shiny math curriculum. :lol:

Plenty of kids younger than 7 do just fine in RS B. My oldest started it at not-quite-5 and while she had to go more slowly than the pace listed in the book, she finished it in 13 months schooling year-round. My 2nd child start it at 5 1/2 and got through B and the first part of C in about 18 months.

That's great to know! We school year round, too, so that frame of reference really helps. Thank you!

My 6yo started B in October when we got our copy of the 2nd edition, and is right at lesson 100. She is shaky on double-digit mental addition (taught way back in lesson 67, but only recently got heavier focus in review), so we've stepped back and are doing some of the relevant sections in MM and focusing on RS games to shore that all up.

I think B can move fast at times, so taking it slow at certain points is a good idea for a young first grader like mine. Don't stress if you have to ease up -- I know I did. I'm finally letting go of the timetable I had in my head, which was completely arbitrary anyway! I really do like RS-B and sometimes I just have to slow down and play the games to let my DD get the strategies solidified in her head.

Ds started RS at Level B when he was just turned 6 and had done no math previously (other than games and such). We did get a bit stuck on placevalue for around a month but we finished it within a year. 

Fwiw if your looking for the 1st edition you ought to be able to find a used copy fairly easily. I know I'm getting ready to sale several levels myself.