Menu

Standardized testing woes- talk me down, please!

Well, I goofed. Ds (9th grade) is nearly done with geometry and getting ready to start algebra 2 in the fall. It's been a looonnnggg while since he did any fractions, decimals, percent type problems. Which is the entire cat test for his level. He didn't finish that portion, and from what I saw, it doesn't look good. We didn't review at all, I didn't look at the test until today whilst he took it.

Yikes!

If he tanks the math computation section, but aces the rest (he should), will be alright? I'm in Virginia, and I can't remember what he has to score- we lived overseas for years before this, and the last time I tested him was in 6th grade. We have a portfolio option, which he would do fine in. I feel like this is partly my fault for not looking at what was on it, since he does fairly well in math anyway, usually. Or I guess I could order a different test and do it, once he has reviewed some?

Also, if a child has ADHD (diagnosed, takes medication) they are allowed accommodations in school like extra or no time, test in a smaller group, etc. How does this work in a home testing situation? I just haven't made any accommodations at all ever, and since he scores well enough to satisfy the state, let it be. I haven't given much thought to sat/act type situations that are coming up next year, I figured we would just see how he does and go from there.

I need a hug...

Also, if a child has ADHD (diagnosed, takes medication) they are allowed accommodations in school like extra or no time, test in a smaller group, etc. How does this work in a home testing situation? I just haven't made any accommodations at all ever, and since he scores well enough to satisfy the state, let it be. I haven't given much thought to sat/act type situations that are coming up next year, I figured we would just see how he does and go from there.

:grouphug:

If your child might need accomodations for SAT/ACT, I would suggest you read the "Documentation Guidelines for Students with ADHD" by the collegeboard and post any questions in the high school board on how to get the documentation required.

Thank you for the link- interesting reading! He also has tourrettes and I never considered tics being a problem. He hasn't done standardized testing in a group setting since early ele,entry, so I think he will just do the PSAT this fall, we will see how it goes and go from there. He isn't a nervous test taker, and while the whole "bubble in, look at the answer, look at the test booklet" thing is trying for him due to ADHD, I'm not sure he really does need more time. I guess we will see.

Thanks for the hugs, all. I could hear him muttering to himself "do I need a common denominator? Which way do the decimals move again?" during the test, and when I saw what was on it (and realized how long it's been since he's done any of that) my heart just sunk. He doesn't know I'm worried, and he isn't particularly so, except talking about it after his little brother was poking him about fractions since as a 6th grader they are fresh for him and he had to mention that, of course! He did the other math portion in about 4 minutes (math concepts?) and I'm pretty sure from glancing at it he got them all correct. His LA skills are much better, so no worries there, so hopefully one bad section won't tank his scores overall.

I'm feeling much better with some "distance"!

Why has it been "so long" since he did fractions and decimals? Wouldn't he have used those all the time in algebra? And to some extent in geometry, too?

I would not be concerned about the standardized test at all, but I would be seriously concerned about the level at which he learned the previous math. IMO, these are skills the student needs to have mastered for the long term, and a review should not be necessary if he actually mastered prealgebra and algebra. Because of that, no matter how the testing comes out, I would go back and review prealgebra as soon as possible and as thoroughly as possible, because this is the most important math he will study in high school.

I see this not as an issue with standardized testing, but as a possible indicator that his math preparation is problematic.

ETA: I just saw 8's post where she raises the question of calculator dependency. Very good point.