Menu

Want to hear everyone's update of YOUR summer reading list

Almost 2 months ago Mommyfaithe started a thread on "Summer Reading Lists -- YOURS, Not Your Kids" (see it at: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25010) I'd LOVE to hear everyone's updates! And if you didn't post on that thread, feel free to jump in now! : )

- So, what's on YOUR summer reading list?

- What did you think of those books?

- Have you discovered other titles you've since added to your list?

I'll go first. in no particular order, here's what was on my list of "want to read":

1. Aurelia's Colors (Jeffrey Overstreet)

2. Gilead (Marilynne Robinson)

3. So Brave, Young and Handsome (Leif Enger)

4. Children of Men (PD James)

5. Gaudy Night (Dorothy Sayers) -- changing this to "any Peter Wimsey mystery novel"

6. The Tribute and the Promise: How Honoring Your Parents Will Bring a Blessing to Your Life (Dennis Rainey)

7. Rethinking Worldview: Learning to Think, Live, and Speak in This World (J. Mark Bertrand)

8. to be decided

9. to be decided

10. to be decided

Below is what I've actually read so far. All were surprising (not quite what I expected), and all were much better than I had expected -- love it!

#4 - Children of Men

(Intense, thought-provoking, powerful.)

#8 - Something Wicked This Way Comes

(Wow! very poetic/non-prose-like in the writing style! What a great picture of a father doing the job of a father -- standing in the gap for his sons, and coming to their rescue through simple obedience and standing against evil -- powerful! Downside: I read the spooky middle part of the novel where the carvnival characters are searching for the boys late at night while all alone -- yikes! -- lol!)

#9 - I Heard the Owl Call My Name

(Lovely; simple; moving; redemptive.)

#10 - Peter Pan

(Not exactly a kid's book! Peter Pan is a complex character, and I found the theme of the unexpected tension between innocence and selfishness/cruelty contained within children (esp. within the character of Peter Pan) to be fascinating.)

Looking forward to hearing all of your "book adventures"! Warmest regards, Lori D.

#9 - I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Lovely; simple; moving; redemptive.)

I really liked that book,too. My dd gave it 5 stars when she read it a couple of years ago during a particularly tough period for her. It is recommended in Honey for a Teen's Heart.

I didn't participate in the earlier thread, but here is my list of summer reading:

1. Anna Karenina; Tolstoy -- Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky trans.

2. Possession, a Romance; A. S. Byatt (I'm currently reading this one)

3. The Book of Learning and Forgetting; Frank Smith -- reread.

4. A Circle of Quiet; Madeleine L'engle -- another reread.

5. Byzantium; Judith Herrin

You know, I cannot recall all that I've read! You've now encouraged me to keep a book list of my reading just like I keep for my kids! Here's what I remember reading thus far:

Stepping Heavenward, Elizabeth Prentiss. Amazingly relevant given that it was written over 100 years ago.

Ben Gurion and the Birth of Israel, Jean Comay.A Landmark but I enjoyed it!

The Deadliest Monster: An Introduction to Worldviews, Jeff Baldwin Better than I expected and a definite on dc's reading lists.

John Adams, David McCullough. Currently reading. Nicely done. I was tempted to return it to the library because I have a very busy summer, with lots of school prep and reading ahead of my dc's books, but I'm glad I opened it to read the beginning pages first. :)

Family Driven Faith, Voddie Baucham Jr. Another current read.

And looking forward to Latin-Centered Curriculum II arriving any day!

Blessings,

Lisa

I didn't participate in the original thread - must have missed it, but I'll jump iin if it is ok.

Humility, Andrew Murray ( every year:001_smile:)

Kite Runner

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

The new book in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (can't remember the name)

My Antonia (now one of my favorite books:001_smile:)

The Shack (reflects the emergent church movement)- don't get me started

Mrs Mike

Currently I am reading:

Heroes of the City of Man (for next year)

Til We Have Faces

I hope to get to the two waiting on my bedside table:

The Brothers Karamazov

So Brave,Young, and Handsome

Susan

I haven't been able to find much time, but I've been able to squeeze in these:

The Kite Runner (read this at 19yodd's request and enjoyed discussing it with her over skype)

The Kalahari Typing School for Men (sure do love this series)

I'm halfway or more through the following and would like to finish them this summer, but 19yodd will be home from the Philippines for July, and we'll have missionary friends in the bunkhouse. I won't want to miss any of the fun with my nose stuck in a book.

Laddie (This is my second time trying to get through this. I have a low tolerance level for lengthy descriptions, I guess.)

Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and The God of Rest (excellent)

The Full Cupboard of LIfe (more No. 1 Ladie's Detective Agency)

I Dared to Call Him Father (reading this with my teenage boys)

Keeping a Family Cow (I'm reading this by necessity since dh brought home Tillie, the milk cow, and we don't know dittley about milk cows.)

Next on my list:

Too Late the Phalarope (by Alan Paton author of one of my top 5 favorite books, Cry, the Beloved Country)

Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children (hoping for a parenting kick in the pants with this one)

I love reading the "what are you reading" threads. You all inspire me.

Currently in the middle of:

The Hawk and the Dove trilogy by Penelope Wilcock -- this is a must read for everyone who struggles with relationships and Christlikeness. It's a novel, and an enjoyable one, but it's also a parable. I'm reading the 3rd book right now, but just started reading the first book aloud to my family. It's a beautiful story of love and self-sacrifice in things large and small.

Paul Revere and the World He Lived In -- this is by Esther Forbes, the author of Johnny Tremain. It surprised me, given the conservative values she expressed in Johnny Tremain, that this is a revisionist history. Forbes never outright states her views on the matter, but the incidents she chooses to report would certainly lead one to the view that the American Revolution was totally unnecessary and that we were manipulated into it by a group of idealistic rebels lead by Samuel Adams. Interesting food for thought.

A Primer for Protestants -- Written in the early 20th century and published by YMCA, this book, while representing the modernist view, nonetheless gives some fascinating insights into church history and the uniqueness of Protestantism. It is a good supplement to the Sonlight 8 we are just finishing.

Our Eleanor -- a photobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt. I'm mostly perusing this one for the pictures

On the floor beside my bed (my nightstand overfloweth):

Founding Myths -- another American history book

School of Obedience by Andrew Murray -- boy do I need this! probably better bump it up on the list --Andrew Murray is from our denomination, I think that's so cool

The Golden Milestone -- a missionary book about Samuel Zwemer, a missionary from our denomination

The Missionary Trail

Jesus Freaks

Desert in Bohemia -- historical fiction by an author I enjoy, Jill Paton Walsh, who also wrote A Parcel of Patterns and The Emperor's Winding Sheet

Condor of the Jungle -- another missionary biography

Christ Centered Woman

The Sketches of Louisa May Alcott -- I've wanted to read this ever since I read Invincible Louisa a couple of years ago

God's Politics -- I read about half of this earlier this year, but had to return it to the library because they wouldn't let me renew it again, so when I found a copy in the used book sale, I snapped it up. It's refreshing to find someone who agrees so completely with my political ideas, which cut across conservative and liberal lines.

Get Out of That Pit -- by Beth Moore. All of her books have more or less the same message, but it's a message I need, so I don't mind.

The Disciplines of Life by V. Edman Raymond. I read this years ago and enjoyed it. I think it's time to read it again.

Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur

And lastly, a group of books my father sent me to help me understand Arminian doctrine (he's a Nazarene pastor and I'm Reformed)

Essential Christian Beliefs

Studies in Christian Essentials

Security: the True and the False

What a Time to be a Wesleyan

Will I finish this pile this summer? Probably not, especially since we're doing summer school this year.

I'll add in since I started the thread:001_smile: I've made some decisions which are always subject to change....

1. I, Elizabeth

2. Canterbury Tales

3. How to Read Lit Like a Professor

4. A Thomas Jefferson Education

5. Kite runner

6. IEW TWSS ( I am determined to watch these to the end.)

7. The New testament (again ...in prep to teach next semester)

8. Mr. Poppers Penguins (to my kiddoes)

9. Kite Runner

10 An Agatha Christie Novel or 2

I will also be pre-reading some of my ds's Omnibus 3 books....just to be ready.

~~Faithe

I finished these recently and they were excellent.

The reluctant fundamentalist / Mohsin Hamid.

The camel bookmobile / Masha Hamilton.

Genghis : birth of an empire / Conn Iggulden.

Genghis : lords of the bow / Conn Iggulden.

I tried to finish this and it was booooorrrrrinnnnnnnng, so I returned it about halway read.

The audacity of hope : thoughts on reclaiming the American dream / Barack Obama.

I am working on

Eat, pray, love : one woman's search for everything across Italy, India and Indonesia / Elizabeth Gilbert.

The Wal-Mart effect : how the world's most powerful company really works-- and how it's transforming the American economy / Charles Fishman.