Menu

So is a 730 ok for SAT II American history?

I thought this was pretty good to show he learned the material. We do TOG and then he studied with a prep book. I don't go over to college confidential much, but most seem to want to retake it if it is less than 750 and most want an 800. He was a 10th grader, so I thought a 730 was pretty good for a math/science kid.. We are waiting until July for AP Stats.

Christine

I found a website that showed the average scores for each test. They suggested that if you were at least 50 points higher than the average, go ahead and send the scores. If you are looking at ivies or highly competitive schools, it would need to be higher (but they didn't say how much). I wish I could remember the site-I think I just googled "what is a good score for SAT 2 test" or something like that.

I thought this was pretty good to show he learned the material. We do TOG and then he studied with a prep book. I don't go over to college confidential much, but most seem to want to retake it if it is less than 750 and most want an 800. He was a 10th grader, so I thought a 730 was pretty good for a math/science kid..

That is a VERY good score. College Confidential can sent us all into stress paroxysms if we let it. In the real world, this is an excellent SAT II score. And a particularly good score for a 10th grader. Kudos! :001_smile:

Edited by Brigid in NC

I think 730 in US History is great. According to a chart on College Board, that is an 88%ile, which is great, especially for a 10th grader math/science kid. Considering that a lot of the test-takers have probably also taken AP US History, that score really shows the strength of your student and your curriculum.

Congratulations!

Brenda

Let's face it, not everyone even TAKES the SAT II tests. Only the kids who are looking for competitive colleges are going to spend the time and money for that test; most colleges don't even require SAT II's.

And out of that pool, 84 kids out of 100 wish they were your kid. ;)

You are right. It is not an 800. But it is still a very good score.

I would take a look at you son and his goals. Is he interested in being at the tippy top of the humanities pile, or is he proud of being at the top of the pile? Maintaining tippy-top status really does take a very driven kid. None of my kids are that driven.

We tend to be very happy with "very good." It's actually a better reflection of who they really are. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/highered/ra/sat/SubjTestPercentileRanks.pdf

That is a VERY good score. College Confidential can sent us all into stress paroxysms if we let it. In the real world, this is an excellent SAT II scores. And a particularly good score for a 10th grader. Kudos! :001_smile:

I agree entirely. It's an excellent score.

College Confidential is a marvelous resource, but there are also days when it feels like a pit of vipers. 800-scoring, bassoon-prodigy, community service awarded, multilingual, nuclear reactor building vipers. Most of the individual posters there are actually very pleasant and helpful. But the community as a whole can be a bit intense.

I agree entirely. It's an excellent score.

College Confidential is a marvelous resource, but there are also days when it feels like a pit of vipers. 800-scoring, bassoon-prodigy, community service awarded, multilingual, nuclear reactor building vipers. Most of the individual posters there are actually very pleasant and helpful. But the community as a whole can be a bit intense.

Too funny.

I spent a bit of time on the site for my alma mater. I was honestly shocked at the viterperative posts by older grads (older even than myself, and I'm two decades out) about the school, current administration, current students, prospective students' chances of getting in.

I thought about taking a few of the posters to task for being grumpy old men, and then decided that would be like teaching a pig to whistle (won't work and annoys the pig).

So yeah, I would take posts there with a grain of salt. I think there is a certain type of poster who likes to make himself or herself an authority figure because it makes them feel good.

Probably some good nuggets of info in the dross, but there is still dross.

I found a website that showed the average scores for each test. They suggested that if you were at least 50 points higher than the average, go ahead and send the scores. If you are looking at ivies or highly competitive schools, it would need to be higher (but they didn't say how much). I wish I could remember the site-I think I just googled "what is a good score for SAT 2 test" or something like that.

Perhaps this is it? Very handy to have -- thanks for pointing us to it! I've seen the table with percentiles for all scores for all tests, but this is handier.

~Laura

• 6 months later...

Ressurecting the thread to hijack it :D

My son got 740 on the world history exam. He intends to be a history major. He didn't study for the exam. This is a good score, but ... would he be better off studying and taking it again, for a better score in his intended subject? Or is it just fine and we should move on to other things?

And hijacking again... Ds15 took the Chemistry SATII this past fall. He scored 800 on 3 practice tests. On the real one, he got a 730. He is planning on going into the sciences. Starting next year, he will probably start taking science classes at our local liberal arts college, so that will help his transcript.

ETA: How do you think this will impact his chances?

My son got 740 on the world history exam. He intends to be a history major. He didn't study for the exam. This is a good score, but ... would he be better off studying and taking it again, for a better score in his intended subject? Or is it just fine and we should move on to other things?

I would consider it a fine score and have him move on to new challenges.

And hijacking again... Ds15 took the Chemistry SATII this past fall. He scored 800 on 3 practice tests. On the real one, he got a 730. He is planning on going into the sciences. Starting next year, he will probably start taking science classes at our local liberal arts college, so that will help his transcript.

ETA: How do you think this will impact his chances?

I think there are many factors that can play a role in admission decisions. Were it my child, I would accept the 730 as a very respectable score and move on.

Regards,

Kareni