Menu

I never planned on hsing through HS, yet here I am. Anyone else?

I was just writing a PM, when something I wrote smacked me right in the head.

No wonder I am so incredibly stressed out.

I NEVER intended to hs through the high school years. When we first started hsing, we decided it would be just K-5th. I never put any time or investments into our dc's education at home beyond grade school. We put our oldest in PS for 6th grade,(evidence right there that I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar;):glare:) and she chose to return home halfway through 7th. And, I've been flying by the seat of my pants ever since.

I do not have my ducks in a row. I make a plan, run it by dh and either he okays it, or not-and either way I am not satisfied and feeling like I'm failing my own child.

I feel lost. I've never been a hardcore WTMer, always more Eclectic, leaning more towards Charlotte Mason-but that lean has always been weak. For this reason, I also never paid much attention to what other hsers were doing at this level.

My dd has gaps. Big gaps. And I need her to be putting in more hours working on math and writing than swimming at the pool.

I feel this sense of urgency or panic and it is engulfing me.

I feel like I did when I was moved around a lot while growing up-always several steps behind everyone else. I hate that feeling!

Can anyone relate? Please just PM me if you must.

thanks..

OK, first, just breathe. Really. I'm not too far behind you on your path to "never thought I'd homeschool thru high school." Yet here I am, too. (And I'm sure many others, too.) Actually, I never planned to homeschool in the first place. But I did thru most of elementary school. My oldest went back to school for 6th & 7th grade, but we realized after 6th that public school really wasn't working. Wasted another year in ps before deciding to bring him home.

And now here we are, facing 9th grade. Where everything REALLY counts. The way I look at it, we've got four whole years to do the best job we can. If your child was a senior, then I'd panic. But if your kid is in 8th, 9th or even 10th grade, I think you've got time to do your best, fill in the gaps and give your kid a fantastic, customized education.

We've been fairly eclectic, following WTM fairly closely for history, math and language arts, but not so much for science, art, music, etc. And even then, we'd supplement with other things or not do narration or copywork or whatever.

I would be more than happy to share my plans for courses and curriculum for 9th grade if that would help. But I can't give you any been-there-done-that level of comfort. I'm right there with you, facing high school and wondering what the heck I've just signed up for. Great Books? AP classes? Physics w/ labs? HELP!

But seriously, I'm feeling like more of an "education coordinator" at this point. I'm only teaching English, World History & Logic for 9th grade. Math, science & Latin will be online courses. Art & music will be thru the public high school. And my husband is teaching a half-credit entrepreneur course. My point is that you do not HAVE to teach everything. Do what you can and find other outlets to cover what you can't -- online, other family members, self-teaching books, local high school, etc.

Does any of this help?

I was just writing a PM, when something I wrote smacked me right in the head.

No wonder I am so incredibly stressed out.

I NEVER intended to hs through the high school years. When we first started hsing, we decided it would be just K-5th. I never put any time or investments into our dc's education at home beyond grade school. We put our oldest in PS for 6th grade,(evidence right there that I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar;):glare:) and she chose to return home halfway through 7th. And, I've been flying by the seat of my pants ever since.

I do not have my ducks in a row. I make a plan, run it by dh and either he okays it, or not-and either way I am not satisfied and feeling like I'm failing my own child.

I feel lost. I've never been a hardcore WTMer, always more Eclectic, leaning more towards Charlotte Mason-but that lean has always been weak. For this reason, I also never paid much attention to what other hsers were doing at this level.

My dd has gaps. Big gaps. And I need her to be putting in more hours working on math and writing than swimming at the pool.

I feel this sense of urgency or panic and it is engulfing me.

I feel like I did when I was moved around a lot while growing up-always several steps behind everyone else. I hate that feeling!

Can anyone relate? Please just PM me if you must.

thanks..

Me, too. I thought I was going to catch my 3rd grader up for a year, and here we are 5 years later. :001_huh:

I highly recommend Lee Binz's books and her website http://www.thehomescholar.com/ . Reading Setting the Records Straight really made me believe that I can do this. I didn't sign up for her program online, but I may down the road. Watch her free videos online - it's like a great big pep talk!

(I am not affiliated in any way - just a fan!)

:seeya: Me, me, me. When we started this journey 3 years ago it was always with the idea that they would go back for high school. After the 2nd year homeschooling I realized I did not want them to return to school ever. This year dh has gotten on board with keeping them home for high school (thank goodness. I was not looking forward to that battle next year).

My oldest will be in 8th grade next year but I have started planning high school.

Beachnut and the other posters gave you some great advice! And just to encourage you: we thought we would homeschool up through 5th... then we continued and thought we'd go through 8th... and just 2 weeks ago we graduated our oldest from homeschool high school! :hurray:

Instead of panic time, this is perfect timing for planning, just before getting started with high school... Trust me, even though you feel like "yikes! now it "counts"! -- you have lots of wiggle room. :) Our younger DS has learning issues, and so we still adapt all along the way. Don't fret about AP classes -- you really don't need to think about those until 11th and 12th grades (unless you have a very advanced student) -- and your student may not need them at all. Do you know any local homeschoolers with high school students? Talk to them for the best info on what your local requirements -- and opportunities! -- are; they can also reassure you by walking you through what high school looks like. Doing homeschool high school is a lot like riding a bike solo for the first time -- it looks scary and you don't think you can do it; but the more experienced person holds you up, helps you start; you push down on that first pedal into 9th grade, and before you know it -- you're sailing along and enjoying it! :)

re: gaps
First, *everyone* has gaps somewhere; it is completely impossible for anyone to learn everything. However, if you feel that some of these gaps should be addressed, now is the perfect time to plan out a strategy for addressing those gaps over the next 4 years.

re: weak in math
Many students are. Not everyone starts high school at an advanced level. If your student is at the Pre-Algebra level for starting high school -- then start there. Your student's math may be Pre-Algebra; Algebra 1; Geometry; Algebra 2. That's okay! FAR better to really GET the math at the level your student is working at. If your state *requires* a higher than Algebra 2 math for high school graduation (or if the college your student wants to enter requires a higher math), then consider your local community college -- either dual enrollment of Alg. 2 in the first semester of senior year, and then a higher math in the second semester, OR summer school between senior year and start of college.

re: weak in writing
MANY students are still weak in writing at 8th grade. You have FOUR years to work on this and polish it. And you have maturity on your side -- high school is the rhetoric stage, afterall, in which those portions of the brain used in expressing oneself through speaking and writing begin to fully develop and mature. And there are lots of writing programs, online writing courses, local or online tutoring options, etc., to assist you here.

re: fear you can't teach high school level classes
Lots of options there, too:
- interactive computer CD, DVD or online textbooks
- DVD lecture course
- online course
- free online podcasts, video tutorials, math assistance websites, etc.
- hire a local tutor
- "team teach" with another homeschooler
- local homeschool co-op
- if allowed, enroll in a single public or private school class
- dual enrollment at the local community college

The first thing is to take a deep breath, relax, and start with a little research; a book on homeschooling high school will give you a helpful, overall perspective. This recent past thread suggests quite a few good books. Also, read through the helpful articles at the HSLDA website on homeschooling high school.

Next, jot down your big picture, overall goals for homeschooling high school; keep this handy for your planning of specific classes and programs. Slowly, over the summer, as you post threads and do research, fill in specifically what you'll do over the 4 years of high school, and what you think you'll use.

Decide on how you want to stay organized for the "administrative" side of homeschooling high school (keeping track of credits; making a transcript; planning and prepping for and signing up for PSAT/SAT/ACT tests; etc.) -- some states have "umbrella" or "cover" schools you can pay to do this for you! Or consider investing in some software such as EduTracker to make it simple. Or check out the free downloadable/printable forms at Donna Young's website.

Be sure leave yourself room to be flexible -- your student will change dramatically over the 4 years of high school, and unexpected opportunities or new interests and extracurriculars or classes will pop up throughout high school, and you want to be able to shift gears as needed.

Then step out into 9th grade -- and enjoy your journey with your high schooler! Also here is a link to a past thread in which I linked loads of helpful threads on all kinds of "getting started with homeschool high school".

Welcome! And come on in -- the high school water is great! ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

It sounds like a lot of us are right here with you. Mine went back to school at the mid-end of 8th grade and all of 9th grade...now he is coming back home again for the rest of HS.

I know he will do great with me...but it is a lot. I haven't had him home for a year and a half so my mornings have been a bit easier...now the thought of getting back into Homeschool mom is daunting. Especially High School...BUT...I see he wasn't really getting anything out of PS and he learned a ton at home with me.

I would try and sit down and just figure out what you want to cover now over high school. BUT if you think you have gaps just remember...PS hs more gaps. At least mine here in S. FLorida. My son was learning about the Heat, Miami Dolphins and score keeping in his Geography class. He never brought home a map...his teacher asked him to copy and paste articles for reports! HELLO???

I look at it like we can take our time and work on what we really need to practice more of, like alg. 1, and move faster when we need too.

I know how you feel. I felt the same way this time last year when we made the decision to hs our daughter who was entering the 10th gr. We had never hs'd before and didn't have a clue as to what and how to begin. However, we just completed the year and with the help and input of others we managed to chose great curriculum and it has been a delightful school year. DD has thrived and done well. We plan to continue throughout highschool. You.Can.Do.This.

I want to cry-you all have made me feel so much better-or at least not so alone.:grouphug:

I tend to wear my emotions of my sleeve, and I think I keep letting my ocd get the best of me.:glare:

Well, to make myself look even worse, I will admit that I have many HS plans, and have talked the ear off of the HSLDA HS Consultant TWO times.:blushing: I live in a community where there are great academic opportunities for hsers-all the way through HS! So, I know the support that is out there, it's the feeling behind that is getting to me, along with my tortured inner wax and wane-type of thoughts.;)

Thanks for the links to threads and sites and the support!

I am there. With a rising 8th grader, realizing how unappealing it would be to send her off to school, even though I always thought we would.

But there's no way I could have known this, 7 or 5 or 2 years ago.

And the resources and help seem to be available. (Except for secondary science!) We will not have to go it alone.

• 1 year later...

We never planned to HS at all until we had to pull our younger DS out of school in 6th grade. Then we were only going to do it for a year or two, no further than middle school. We're starting high school next year, and I am a bit intimidated.

However, I've had to tutor our older son (who's continued in ps for various reasons) on multiple subjects. We've supplemented his history; I did all his grammar and punctuation instruction; I coached him on literary analysis; we're working on writing essays over the summer. And those are just the areas we supplemented; I'm sure there are other holes. Perhaps I should remind myself of that more often when I start to panic about high school.