Menu

Anyone used online classes for much of high school?

We have used it fairly consistently for foreign language. It has worked great for us. My kids have taken a mix of public school foreign language classes and on-line; they've said that they have learned at least as much on-line, sometimes more. Of course it depends on the particular on-line program.

We have used a few online classes and will be using a few more. All I can say is that not all online classes are created equal. Do your homework.

SWB had a blog post that was linked in this thread but got moved. I may have saved it somewhere, but where that might be I've totally forgotten. The thread may be helpful never-the-less.

I personally would not commit myself to any school. There are good and bad teachers in all of them.

Here are some other threads that may be useful:

A list of awesome online classes your kids are taking this year?

Comprehensive list of online classes

HTH!

Yes, first dd graduated from K12 International Academy, she loved it, especially all the clubs, only downside. Expensive.

Second dd is still attending, she goes to Veritas Press Scholar Academy, she enjoys but it is very rigorous, so she burns out sometimes. Trying to keep her in this same school throughout, so it doesnt look bad on transcript.

If yes, how did it work out for you?

Well, my daughter is in 8th grade now but we started with online classes last year. We learned this year that too much screen time doesn't work well in our house. So, one class with a live meeting time and one with no set meeting times is about our limit here. We especially like online classes for foreign languages right now.

We have used Schola Classical Tutorials for Great Books 1 and 2, and Artesian Wells for Latin 1 and 2. I'm very happy with both of them. Aaron Wells, my son's Latin teacher, also happens to be the son-in-law of Wes Callihan, my son's Great Books teacher.

I don't think online math would be a good fit for my boys, Science is at a local co-op, everything else is from home.

Yes, first dd graduated from K12 International Academy, she loved it, especially all the clubs, only downside. Expensive.

Second dd is still attending, she goes to Veritas Press Scholar Academy, she enjoys but it is very rigorous, so she burns out sometimes. Trying to keep her in this same school throughout, so it doesnt look bad on transcript.

Wow, you aren't kidding! K12 International Academy is pricey!

Do you think your second dd is getting a better education with VP than your first one did at K12? Do you think the rigor of VP is that important?

Yes, we have used Torrey Academy from Biola for years. It's been a success around here. They are classical courses. I guess they would be an alternative to the Great Books courses out there.

Sylvia

Sylvia,

Please tell more. Do your children like this? How rigorous is it? Do the online classes fill fast? It looks very intriging.