Menu

X Post: Brag Alert--watch dd's performance on NPR's From the Top

I haven't been on this board for awhile, but even if you don't know me, my post is relevant to what you can do with highschoolers who homeschool. :D

My 17 yo dd has played the violin since she was 5 (began in Suzuki). She began playing chamber music when she was 12. This past week, dd traveled to Ames, IA, along with 7 other members of her octet, to record a program for NPR's From the Top. NPR filmed (flipcam quality) the performance, and posted it on their website. When you get to the page, scroll down to the Ames, IA portion and then look for the Octet Abbraccio clip. Dd is 3rd violin from the left. http://greenroom.fromthetop.org/ The radio program will air on local NPR stations the week of June 14.

We could never have made the commitment to music that we did if we hadn't homeschooled. Even though this particular dd went to a public alternative school these past two years, it was her many years of homeschooling that gave us the flexibility to make violin an important part of her education. For those of you with young Suzuki players--stick with it. Kids can make enormous progress in 12 years of playing!

Enjoy!

Beth

When you get to the page, scroll down to the Ames, IA portion and then look for the Octet Abbraccio clip. Dd is 3rd violin from the left. http://greenroom.fromthetop.org/

Wow, what a fantastic performance! I loved the video of them playing in the diner and airport, too, lol.

My DD7 also started Suzuki at 5 and just had her spring recital on Saturday. Her teacher plans for her to join our city's Youth String Orchestra next year, and DD is so excited. I'll be sure to show her this video in the morning!

Jackie

Beth,

This is just so cool! Thank you for sharing!

Our public radio station no longer airs From the Top, so your post is a good reminder that I could listen to it on the Internet. It is always inspirational (and fun) to hear the young people on this program.

Patting you and your daughter on the back,

Jane

My DD7 also started Suzuki at 5 and just had her spring recital on Saturday.

Did you tear up? What did she play?

Her teacher plans for her to join our city's Youth String Orchestra next year, and DD is so excited.

Ahhhh....this is how it all starts! A cool opportunity dd had when she was young was to play in the Suzuki Association Youth Orchestra of the Americas during the Association's bi-annual conference in Minneapolis. Check it out--it was very motivating and might be a good fit for your dd.

Beth

Hi Brenda--

How was your son's first year of college? My oldest is transferring to Ohio State University as a theater major after spending two years at cc. The path of these past two years have been more circuitous than linear for her, but she's doing great.

I'm going to be an empty nester this year--in addition to 2 dd's in college, my youngest is a very serious flutist and will be going to Interlochen Arts Academy. Yikes! How did a homeschooler end up with someone at boarding school--in a field that earns a paltry living, no less!

Beth