Menu

Getty Dubay Italic fonts for computer?

sagira

Many years ago you could download the GDI font for free. GDI sold the font to some educational service and now it is very expensive and is sold in a set of fonts that I don't want. :glare:

These fonts

http://www.fontspace.com/christopher-jarman

are similar to GDI Italic.

Start Write software has a nice italic font, but you can only use it in the program (you can't download the font to use in Word).

Many years ago you could download the GDI font for free. GDI sold the font to some educational service and now it is very expensive and is sold in a set of fonts that I don't want.
I purchased the pack from Educational Fontware ($50). While I would have preferred to be able to purchase only the GDI fonts, it was worth if for me because: (1) a program is included that correctly links letters when doing linked italics; and, (2) you can print sheets which include rules (both blank and with the text), which I've found ideal for printing copywork pages.

• 7 months later...

You may want to check out two other free italic fonts: Briem and Jarman. These are pre-cursive italic fonts.

Briem comes with triple lines, which is a big help for beginners.

Jarman comes in a dotted version called Jardotty.

Both Briem and Jarman can be printed in outline form as well (for kids like my dd who think tracing a dotted font is for babies.)

EDIT: I just remembered that the Briem font comes with a cursive joining software too.

HTH

Edited by nansk

Lucida Sans set to italic is the closest on your computer. I read somewhere that they used a form of Lucida for their font.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Cool. I couldn't figure out how to do a dotted version, but if you change it to a light grey color, that would give a nice sample to trace over for practice.

:party:

Why didn't I figure this out years ago when I started teaching my kids to use Italic and could never find extra handwriting samples for them?

With the exception of the Q/q, this doesn't sound like GDI manuscript.

Getty-Dubay Italic Handwriting Font Style:

Slightly slanted manuscript. Medium ascenders, short descenders. Loop on k.

There is no loop on the manuscript "k." The loop is no longer the preferred option for the cursive "k."

J -no top stroke; small hook

M -diagonals don't touch baseline

R -diagonal extends from curve, near vertical stroke

Q -short, diagonal non-interecting tail

q -short, straight hook tail

The "M" diagonals touch the baseline in both manuscript and cursive, the "J" doesn't have a small hook (at least I don't consider it small), and the diagonal of the "R" is greater than 45 degrees from the baseline, but not close to vertical. See here for reference.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...