Menu

What SATII subject tests have your dc taken?

Please list tests taken and what prep work was done, if any.

Thanks,

Maury (Mrs.)

As a freshman-Biology

Took rigorous Biology course.

Started specific SAT prep in April, heavy studying in May, test in early June.

Tentatively as a sophomore-Literature

Took a practice test this weekend that led me to believe we can do it by studying in May and taking the test in June.

Good Afternoon!

My older ds, now a senior, has taken two SAT II tests.

He took Chemistry as a sophomore, after completing all of Apologia Chem and most pf Apologia Adv Chem. In addition, he spent part of April and all of May working through a test prep book before taking the test in June. He scored 730.

He took the SAT II Literature test in December of 2009 after three and a half years of TOG literature at the R level. He needed another SAT II to apply to the University of CA system, and we needed to pick something that he could do reasonably well on with a week to prepare! He worked through a couple of practice tests and wound up with an 800 on the test. Obviously for that test, several years of reading and analyzing good literature was the critical factor in his success, rather than the test prep - that just got him used to the format. Not bad for a future mech. engineer!

Blessings,

April

None so far.

I look at tests as a necessary evil to open doors for the next step. The colleges that my dc have gone to did not require them.

#1dc - BS PoliSci/Econ - St. Vincent College, J.D. GMU Law

#2dc - BS Math Grove City College, grad school - still sorting out options

Hello Maury,

My daughter took three SAT subject tests.

US History in 10th grade after taking an out of the home AP US History class which used the American Pageant

Latin in 11th grade after taking an out of the home AP Latin class

Math Level 2 in 11th grade. She had completed through Algebra 2 at home as well as College Algebra and Trigonometry at the local community college.

Several of the colleges to which she applied did require three SAT subject tests. One additional college in which she was interested required a SAT subject test in science. Since she was not interested in taking an additional test when she learned of this requirement, that college fell off her list.

Regards,

Kareni

Calvin has taken one SAT II equivalent (biology IGCSE) and will be taking two more this summer (Chinese GCSE, Classical Civilisation GCSE). For the biology, we used an exam-specific text book, then worked on past exam papers; for Chinese he is working through exam-specific textbooks with a tutor, then we'll used past papers; for Classical Civilisation we bought an online course, then will use past papers.

Laura

None so far.

I look at tests as a necessary evil to open doors for the next step. The colleges that my dc have gone to did not require them.

#1dc - BS PoliSci/Econ - St. Vincent College, J.D. GMU Law

#2dc - BS Math Grove City College, grad school - still sorting out options

That's encouraging, as my kids aren't the highly motivated, top-tier school kind. I'm glad to know it's not required to get into a 'good enough' school!

Most of the public universities my ds applied to Oregon, Florida, three in Colorado all required two subject tests from homeschoolers, Most required that one of those be the math subject test. He took the math and the literature. Look at specific requirements of some of the schools that are on your radar to see how many and which are required.

My dd took 3 as she wasn't sure what colleges she wanted to apply to - it turned out that none of them (not even the 4 hard to get into ones) did require them.

She took US History after Sonlight 100

Eng Language in 11th grade

and Math (the harder one) after Thinkwell precalc.

My 11th grade son is about to take

Spanish Language - after 3 years of high school Spanish at our local co-op

Math (doing Life of Fred Trig)

either Physics or US History - he needs to decide which one he is likely to do better in (he is using Teaching Company US History course and Apologia Adv Physics)

Meryl